Author Topic: What a store of information at Erdigg and Chirk  (Read 2259 times)

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
What a store of information at Erdigg and Chirk
« on: Saturday 04 October 14 07:34 BST (UK) »
Just visited the lovely NT property at Erdigg and loved all the information about the servants there.I only wish I had an ancestor on their books.Black and white photographs lined the corridors in the servants quarters with books of information about every servant who had been employed some going back to 18th century.Past owners of the Yorke family had even written poems about their servants.
Chirk had servants records but not as much as Erdigg.
Very good place to visit
Ringrose
Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )
er(essex)Nightingale(kent Sussex)Sutton (sussex)

Offline sem73

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: What a store of information at Erdigg and Chirk
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 October 14 20:31 BST (UK) »
 Hi Ringrose

I agree!....Erddig is a wonderful place:D I grew up nearby & lucky enough to have a rellie who worked as a kitchen maid there.....

Highly recomend a book by Merlin Waterson...http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=13861109670&searchurl=an%3DMerlin%2Bwaterson%26amp%3Bsortby%3D17%26amp%3Bsts%3Dt%26amp%3Bx%3D0%26amp%3By%3D0

Sarah :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Davies/Griffiths/Smith/Woodward/Goodwin/Morrlle/Moralee - Flintshire

Moralee (and variants) - Durham

Offline Zoe-Hannah

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 October 14 14:51 BST (UK) »
I have to agree wonderful places to visit, I visited them a lot when I was growing up, when living in Wales. Erddig is an amazing place, The Chinese Room always used to intrigue me, Another place that is great place to visit is Powys Castle another place I visited a lot with my Parents. 

Zoe
Jones, Thomas, Carr, McDougall, Tatlock, Naylor, Gordon, Brentnall, Parry, Brotherton.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 October 14 16:44 BST (UK) »
I was there in September, having wanted to get there for ages. It was a really good experience. To start with, it was a wonderful, quite hot day, bees buzzing lazily around. The house itself was really interesting. It was pleasant to see the servant records, but that was only a part of the whole. The volunteers were really super, and it was so nice to see someone actually working, using tools, in the carpenter's shop. The worst bit was actually the access - very narrow at points, and bumps that seemed huge. The Second Hand bookshop and carriage rides were delights, too. A wonderful day out - and after waiting so long, I shall certainly go back again.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)