Author Topic: Barbary Tait (nee Mason) born about 1804 in Bamburgh, (or Ancroft /Belford )  (Read 6031 times)

Offline Grandies

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Barbary  Tait (nee Mason) born about 1804 in Bamburgh, (or Ancroft /Belford )

I have been searching for this lady for a couple of years.
What I know is that she is living at Brock Mill a couple of miles from Kyloe in Northumberland in the 1841 census with her husband Thomas and children :
William, Thomas, Eleanor, John , Robert, & Luke.
Born later are Mary and Barbary.
I can follow them in later census, but am struggling to find birth or marriage records for them.
I have tried various methods but can't pin them down.
I have tried to tie her to the Masons next door on the census, but so far not successful.
The Tait children were all baptised at the Lowick Presbyterian Church.
I would appreciate any ideas on how to proceed from here please?
( I have discussed this in another Mason thread, briefly, but it was becoming too confusing to separate them!).
Thank you for any ideas.
Eileen
Tait, Scullion, Taaffe

Offline Schoch

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Barbary Tait (nee Mason) born about 1804 in Bamburgh, (or Ancroft /Belford )
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 January 15 12:36 GMT (UK) »
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NDXH-SZZ

How does this look for you? Not so close to the area you are looking at but it might be helpful to your search.

Richard
Stay in the  Moment

Grainger - Wigton and Newcastle Area
Gibson - Newcastle/Scotland (Roxburgh) Areas
Crisell/Crissell/Chrysel/etc. - Suffolk Area
Schoch - Germany (Öhringen Area)

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
Re: Barbary Tait (nee Mason) born about 1804 in Bamburgh, (or Ancroft /Belford )
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 January 15 00:03 GMT (UK) »
Is it the Mason/Tait marriage you are looking for?  If they were Presbyterians marrying before 1837  they are likely to have hopped over the border into Scotland to marry rather than marry in a C of E church which was the law at the time.

If they did marry in England then the Northumberland marriage index 1812 - 1837 will give more detail.  I don't have this on disc but I'm sure others on here do.  Otherwise I can check next week at Woodhorn.

Christine

Offline Grandies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 January 15 05:50 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Richard.  I did look at this one but it is a bit far from her birthplace as given in various census -  Bamburgh, Ancroft  or Belford.  Christine,  I have their eldest son William baptised 1825 in the Lowick Presbyterian Church. As were the younger children.
The Tait's have a strong Roman Catholic connection and it has been suggested that they may have married over the border.  Thomas Tait,  her husband gives Berwick as his birthplace so that makes it more likely, though I am stuck with him too.  No birth or marriage records for either of these 2.
I have suggested a Link with the Mason family as they too were living at Brock Mill farm on the 1841census. I got her maiden name from a birth cert of her youngest daughter born post 1837. I would be delighted to receive any help at all in locating their origins.
If Barbara is a daughter of the Masons next door,  an interesting sideline I have found is that the family have strong connections to Haggerston  Castle where they were stonemasons.  I believe there was also a Roman Catholic chapel in the castle grounds.
Christine which records are kept at Woodhorn?
Thank you both for your replies.  Kind regards,
Eileen
Tait, Scullion, Taaffe

Offline Schoch

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 January 15 18:34 GMT (UK) »
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XY4M-HX2
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:V51F-MP6

With the conversation mentioning Scotland I thought this might give you something to look at. Roxburgh is just across the border.
Some of my tree members crossed into Northumberland around this time period and ended up in Newcastle.

Richard
Stay in the  Moment

Grainger - Wigton and Newcastle Area
Gibson - Newcastle/Scotland (Roxburgh) Areas
Crisell/Crissell/Chrysel/etc. - Suffolk Area
Schoch - Germany (Öhringen Area)

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 January 15 00:06 GMT (UK) »
Records at Woodhorn are many and they do have an online catalogue but my preference is to go through genuki.  This link will take you to their Northumberland parishes page - select the parish you want then select church records and follow the link.  All available records are listed and their locations.

http://www.genuki.bpears.org.uk/NBL/Parishes.html

Christine

Offline Grandies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 January 15 07:22 GMT (UK) »
The second link, Richard, is "my" Thomas Tait in later years - from memory they were living with son Luke. He does give Scotland as his birthplace, in earlier census he says Berwick.
His sons and families mostly moved south over the years and changed their profession from masons and ag labour to coal miners at Bedlington.
As I have been in Australia since '73 I rely on Mr Google map to remind me of the areas mentioned. I saw that Berwick on Tweed was still England, but Berwickshire is Scotland.
I will check out Genuki Christine, but if I need to physically check the records I would be stumped. So far I have relied on on-line records and applying for certificates.
Thank you both for your suggestions.
Eileen
Tait, Scullion, Taaffe

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 January 15 23:15 GMT (UK) »
You don't say which online records you use but family search have Durham Bishop's Transcripts which include Northumberland and also marriage licences.  Freereg has a good coverage for Northumberland too.

Once you have an idea of where/when you need to look at then post on the Northumberland look-up requests board and someone like me will follow it up - either from personally held data or by a visit to Woodhorn.

Christine

Offline Grandies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 14 January 15 08:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Christine.  It is hard to be more exact when I know so little about them.  This is more a "fishing"  trip!  The census records and their children's Presbyterian baptisms is leading me to look for a Presbyterian  marriage around 1824 in the Bamburgh,  Belford area. 
I have searched the bishops transcripts but if it is a Presbyterian or Roman Catholic marriage I don't think it would be recorded there.
I hope to be able to narrow it down further but if Thomas was a Roman Catholic from over the border,  I may never find them.  I will certainly post again as you suggest if I obtain more information.  New records are being transcribed all the time:)
many thanks for your help.
By the way,  please disregard the ramblings in post 3 about the Haggerston Castle connection.   That related to the Moody branch of the family  Got mixed up without  my tree in  front of me!!
Eileen
Tait, Scullion, Taaffe