Author Topic: Foley Family- Portlaw  (Read 3047 times)

Offline pendlelad

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Foley Family- Portlaw
« on: Saturday 04 October 14 13:16 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
I am looking for records of the Foley family from Portlaw. James Foley b.1827 and Ellen Foley b.1827.
I found them in the census in Manchester from 1861 onwards and the first child born in Manchester was 1852 so James and Ellen must have emigrated between 1848 and 1852. Annoyingly on all the censuses it said 'Ireland' and all the birth places. The only clue i had was with Thomas their son born 1848 in the 1911 census, which listed him as being born in county Waterford. Due to all the parish records being on one website which charges excessive prices i could only afford a few records. so i looked for Thomas's baptism in waterford and there was one for that year (the son of james and Ellen) in a place called Portlaw, Ireland and also told me Ellen's maiden name, Foran. I also found that the next son who i thought was born in Manchester was baptised in Portlaw. If anyone can find a marriage to James Foley and Ellen Foran in Waterford i will be extremely greatful because i cant find one. And unfortunately there are a few James Foley's born in 1827 in Waterford so i cant just guess.

Pendlelad
LANCASHIRE-Nutter, Driver, Foley, Taylor, Blanthorn, Parker, Pickles, Grime, Mudd, Broadley, Spencer, Whalley, Harrison, Ellis, Timmins, Duerden, Cornthwaite, Schofield, Wardley, Lord, Scholes
IRELAND-Foley, Timmins, Foran, Farrall, Traynor, Crawley, Ganley, McDermott, Manning
HAMPSHIRE-Wheeler, Gilmore
STAFFS/SHROP-Darn, Spittle
DERB'HIRE-Mason, Trimmer
YORKSHIRE-Perkin (Parkin), Robinson
CORNWALL-Harris, Jane, Bennett
CHESHIRE-Littlemore, Timmins, Blanthorn, Smith
HUNTI'SHRE-Stretton, Bryant

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Foley Family- Portlaw
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 October 14 13:19 BST (UK) »
Have you checked any birth certificates for children born in England to confirm Ellen's maiden name? It's very easy to follow the wrong family in records if you have common names and not a more exact place (rather than parish or townland) to start searching with.

Are any of the family that were born in Ireland living in England in 1911? We aren't allowed to do lookups for that one but it often gives a more exact place of birth than 'Ireland' or the county.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline pendlelad

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 October 14 16:44 BST (UK) »
Aghadowey,
No i haven't checked the birth certificates for the ones born in england. Maybe that would be a wise decision. As i said before there is only Thomas one of James' and Ellens sons born in ireland alive in 1911. His parents died in the 1880's.

Thanks,
Pendlelad
LANCASHIRE-Nutter, Driver, Foley, Taylor, Blanthorn, Parker, Pickles, Grime, Mudd, Broadley, Spencer, Whalley, Harrison, Ellis, Timmins, Duerden, Cornthwaite, Schofield, Wardley, Lord, Scholes
IRELAND-Foley, Timmins, Foran, Farrall, Traynor, Crawley, Ganley, McDermott, Manning
HAMPSHIRE-Wheeler, Gilmore
STAFFS/SHROP-Darn, Spittle
DERB'HIRE-Mason, Trimmer
YORKSHIRE-Perkin (Parkin), Robinson
CORNWALL-Harris, Jane, Bennett
CHESHIRE-Littlemore, Timmins, Blanthorn, Smith
HUNTI'SHRE-Stretton, Bryant

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 October 14 16:59 BST (UK) »
Best to start getting the mother's maiden name so you can confirm or eliminate anything found in Irish records. Remember that not all church records survive and of those that do not all are online.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!