Author Topic: Birth Records in Hamburg, Germany 1819  (Read 2835 times)

Offline bradenfamily

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Records in Hamburg, Germany 1819
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 10 June 18 10:47 BST (UK) »
Oh Dave,

If only I had realised where I'd seen that name before !!

It is a pseudonym for my 3rd Cousin's niece - and she got all her information from ME !!!  (She has only recently got married and changed her profile to reflect her married name).    I haven't looked at her tree, because we chat regularly - and as a matter of fact I'll be seeing her this week.    I was quite excited that I'd be able to tell her the latest news of what "Justin" has passed on to me. 

Oh well, what a small world !!!!      However I had just been telling another friend what a wonderful world our "Genealogy Family" is (with everyone helping each other), and you have just doubly proven it to me.    (First Justin, then yourself).

Thank you so much, I really appreciate your input.     (Funny as it's turned out to be).

My kindest regards
Patricia.

Maguire,  Noble  (both from Fermanagh, Ireland)
Croke (from Kilkenny, Ireland)
Braden, Cruwys, Chidgey, Price, Strong, Skeen (from England)
Beaton, Nixon, Skeen,  (from Scotland)

Offline davecapps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 10 June 18 10:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Patricia

it´s a small world.
Justin did some good work there.

If you let me know what info, docs, certs, etc. you have i´ll see if i can find any additional info.
Saves doing things twice.

Dave

Offline bradenfamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 10 June 18 11:33 BST (UK) »
WOW Dave, what a wonderful gesture.   Thank you for the offer.

Although unless you too can understand German I've probably got all the English records possible.   I've been researching this family for close to 20 years.   

I have Maria MacDonel & Edward Sugden Price's Marriage certificate (which is where I first knew of her being born in Germany.    I also have all their English Census records - except cannot find either of them in 1841 - prior to their marriage.   Thus I have always suspected (along with old family folk-lore) that Edward may have been working in Germany too.    (He was an Milner/Engineer working in the Mills in England after their marriage).    He had been born in Yorkshire in 1810 and I have his Baptism record.    (I also have most of their children's birth certificates - or sufficient info to "prove" their relationship).    I have recently found a "missing" son's family in Canada - and when they didn't believe me I proved it by us all taking a DNA test !!

Just as an aside, Maria and Edward's eldest son (John) ran away from home when he was about 12 or 13, stowed away, joined the Merchant Navy, jumped ship, was gaoled, re-deployed on a ship to Australia, jumped ship again, changed his name, went "exploring" with a well known Explorer in Queensland, married Thrice (bigamously) and lived happily ever after with my Great Grandmother.    Oh yes, he was a character !!!     Loved by all !!!     

So you can see why he is my favourite Great Grandfather and I've put a lot of years into researching him.    Especially as his wives didn't know he had jumped ship, let alone changed his name - and my G Grandmother was shocked beyond belief when she opened a locked "Pandora's" Box after he died - and SOME of his secrets were revealed.   The OTHERS I'm still finding regularly!

Oh yes, he's lots of fun to research !!!   But I've still got a long way to go to prove (or disprove) some of the stories he's told.     Meanwhile, I've written the Price/Edwards story and given it to all the family for them to enjoy - including Kate !! (it's just that I can't publish it as I keep finding more and more information - like those bigamous marriages which I only found this year !!!).

But, I digress.    I think we were discussing his PARENTS !!!     Oh dear, I'm sure you know how easily it is to be distracted in this wonderful hobby.

Many many thanks again
Kindest regards,
Patricia.

Offline davecapps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 10 June 18 11:55 BST (UK) »
WOW Dave, what a wonderful gesture.   Thank you for the offer.

Although unless you too can understand German I've probably got all the English records possible.   .

I´ve lived in Germany for 45 years now so i´m quite familiar with the language and old handwriting.
I´ll see if i can dig up anything.

send me your e-Mail address per PM

Regards
Dave

Offline bradenfamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 10 June 18 14:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave,

I've replied via PM with my email address.
Please let me know if you receive it OK.

Meanwhile, heading to bed after such an "exciting" day.

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 10 June 18 16:00 BST (UK) »
Hello Patricia,

I came across this Macdonel file dated 1836 in the online database of the Hamburg State Archives.
https://recherche.staatsarchiv.hamburg.de/ScopeQuery5.2/detail.aspx?ID=1972225
Unfortunately, the system does not allow you to order copies of documents  :(

Vormundschaft is guardianship.

There is also a file in this archive category (232-1) relating to my gggf and dated with the year he died. He left behind a widow and a 14-year-old daughter (and other children over the age of 21). Although, I haven't seen the file (perhaps it's time I did), I imagine it relates to the legal transfer of guardianship to my gggf's surviving widow.

This might then suggest that John Macdonel died in 1836. Was it perhaps a son who established (or continued running) the tavern?

It might be worth your while hiring a researcher to go to the archives.

Justin

Offline bradenfamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 11 June 18 00:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you Justin,

You have certainly been busy on my behalf.   It's very much appreciated.

The only thing I query is that Maria said her father was a Publican in 1844 (when she married) - but she may have just meant that it HAD been his occupation.

Yes, I think You're right and I may have to consider hiring someone to do the ground-work for me.

Thank you again - it's certainly worth following up.

Regards

Patricia