Author Topic: William Isaacs ( or Isaac ) born about 1795 in Standon Hertfordshire.  (Read 2894 times)

Offline carole1947

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Isaacs ( or Isaac ) born about 1795 in Standon Hertfordshire.
« on: Sunday 05 October 14 17:19 BST (UK) »
 I am trying to trace a birth record for William Isaacs or Isaac born about 1795 in Standon  Wadesmill Hertfordshire. On the 1851 census William is living in Standon Herts with his wife Elizabeth. I have been unable to find a birth record for William or any details of his parents and so have hit a brick wall. Any help would be much appreciated.
Carole

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: William Isaacs ( or Isaac ) born about 1795 in Standon Hertfordshire.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 October 14 17:47 BST (UK) »
Hi

You would only get a baptismal record in parish records for that period.  Birth certificates were only introduced in 1837

Nothing obvious showing up on Family Search and this is the only entry in the birthyear range

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/J3KN-SVV

There may be local transcriptions available which other members may have access to
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 October 14 18:20 BST (UK) »
He may have been Baptised in Thundridge as Wades Mill was covered by both Parishes.
Ah I see Carol has covered that one.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline carole1947

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
OLD CENSUS RECORDS. WILLIAM ISAACS BORN STANDON HERTS.
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 17:47 BST (UK) »
William Isaacs ( possibly Isaac Isack etc ) was born in Standon Hertfordshire about 1795. ON 7 January 1815 he married Elizabeth Read at Standon. I have sent for a copy of William and Elizabeth's marriage record to see if I can obtain any information about William's parents. I wonder if someone with access to early census records or parish records could find any record of William living with his parents in the area. If so I would be grateful for any information re their place of birth, profession and any other information at all. also whether William had any brothers or sisters.
Many thanks

Offline carole1947

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: OLD CENSUS RECORDS. WILLIAM ISAACS BORN STANDON HERTS.
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 18:54 BST (UK) »
sorry I am new to Rootschat and did'nt realise I had posted on a Lancashire board. I was a member of ancestry some time ago and thought I had found some census type information for about 1800 but it seems I was mistaken. Thanks for putting me straight.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: OLD CENSUS RECORDS. WILLIAM ISAACS BORN STANDON HERTS.
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 20:54 BST (UK) »
sorry I am new to Rootschat and did'nt realise I had posted on a Lancashire board.

Just to explain this - reply #3 was originally posted on the Lancashire but a moderator has kindly moved it here to join carole's original post on the same person  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 21:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Carole

I have merged your topics together.

You mentioned that you have sent for a copy of their 1815 marriage. I don't know where you applied to but the General Register Office only holds records after 1837. Prior to 1837, fathers names were not routinely recorded but they may appear as witnesses.

Prior to that date, copies of parish registers are held locally and some are finding their way online.

Hertfordshire Archives is working with FindMyPast.

I addition to the date you mention, William & Elizabeth married after banns and both left their mark X. The witnesses were James Edwards and Samuel Pickett, the parish professional witness (and church warden?) as his signature is all over the register.

In addition to the baptism of William that was found earlier, there is also a baptism for James Isaac in 1791 in the same parish with the same parents. Noting that William & Elizabeth named a child James might indicate he was an older brother. And just to add another note, there are a few baptisms, marriages and burials for Isaac/s/ack in Standon as well as Thundridge so it might be worthwhile taking out a short term subscription to FindMyPast or check your local library to see if they offer access inhouse.

Dawn

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline carole1947

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 21:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you for sorting out my mistake of posting in the wrong place and for the information you have given me. I ordered the marriage record via Hertfordshire on line and can only assume it will come from parish records. Will just have to see what arrives. I will look into joining Find My Past for a short time as you suggest as it sounds as if it could be quite helpful.
Thanks again
Carole

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 21:39 BST (UK) »
Hi

( AND welcome to Rootschat )

You will find mentions of some of the family here . . . . .

http://www.hertsdirect.org/services/leisculture/heritage1/hals/indexes/indexes/

Not a very sophisticated search engine ( try your different spellings of Isaacs )

Report back?  ;D

Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).