Author Topic: James, Donald, John Fraser of Dores Invernessshire  (Read 13330 times)

Offline irenaf

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James, Donald, John Fraser of Dores Invernessshire
« on: Monday 06 October 14 12:24 BST (UK) »
I am looking for some information about my grandfather's uncles James (b1840 d 1907),  John Fraser b1838 in Dores and his brother Donald b1848 also Dores. Their parents were James Fraser b1802 and Mary Fraser b1810. Father James was a blacksmith in Dores as were sons James and Donald.
Son James is on the 1881 census but this is the year his father died so it is possible he just returned to help out. His death is noted on the family gravestone but I cannot track his death on Scotland's People so where did he die?
 Donald seems to have disappeared and may have emigrated or joined the army he is not mentioned on the family gravestone.
John is mentioned on one census when he was at home as an assistant minister at Daviot Church He is not mentioned on the family gravestone.
They were an educated family and would be likely to have kept in touch but we have no idea what happened to the 3 sons - their brother Thomas was my ggrandfather, a master blacksmith.
I wondered what had happened to these brothers so if anyone out there has any thoughts perhaps you could get in touch. Thank you!

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: James, Donald, John Fraser of Dores Invernessshire
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 October 14 13:34 BST (UK) »
Hello irenaf,

You didn't mention if you had the 1891 census:

96A Dores, Inv-shire
Wester Dores
Mary Fraser, 80
John C Fraser, dau, 49, Housekeeper
James Fraser, son 46, Blacksmith
John E Fraser, son, 48, Assistant Minister, Daviot Parish

Offline irenaf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 October 14 14:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you for getting back to me so promptly. Yes this is them (except it is Kate who is the housekeeper and there is only John C, the asst minister,  the other John is  McBean). Looks like James has taken over the Blacksmith business as he has an apprentice working for him. However, the 1901 I can't find him and if he didn't die until 1907 (from graveyard) where did he die?

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 October 14 15:12 BST (UK) »
So that 1891 census record from A*y is a bit of a muddle? Not the first time that's happened!! It might pay to look at the original from Scotlands People.  I was working from that record showing John E Fraser to be the Minister, hence:

Rev John E Fraser was alive in 1897:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01aj5/

from http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/
John Edward Fraser died 1917 Dores, Inv-shire aged 78

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 October 14 15:41 BST (UK) »
Ah! there is another John Edward Fraser, born Inv-shire ~1845 who was a civil engineer

Offline irenaf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 October 14 15:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much you have resolved a problem which has been bugging me for 2 years. I am very grateful. You are correct as I downloaded the cert from SP see attached. The interesting point is that I had the death cert all the time as his sister died the month before him in 1915. He was staying with her at the Post Office, I note that they each had gangrene from some injury. It was the E. that threw me because the birth cert did not have the E included. I note that they have down as his occupation Probationer what does that mean? Would he be training to help his sister at age 78? 
So one down and 2 to go.  Irene

Moderator comment - image cropped , copyright.

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 October 14 17:43 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I wrote 1917 for John E Fraser’s death not 1915, but if you had the cert anyway, no precious credits lost!  Probationer in regard to the church usually means that the person is not yet fully licensed as a Minister.  In relation to the Post Office I’m guessing he was still learning the ropes!  Odd that he and his sister both died of the same disease and so close together. 

I think this may be Donald:
1851 & 1861 with parents at home
1871 with brother Thomas at Gorthlick, Dores
1881 with parents
1891 a blacksmith, lodging at 71 Castle Street, Inverness with Alexander Russell (born 1841)
1901 a blacksmith, married to Johan (b 1863 Inv) at 7 King St, Inv
1911 possible match on scotlandspeople

Also, a free digital copy of this newspaper article can be ordered from Inverness Library: http://www.ambaile.org.uk/en/newspapers/index.jsp

Law & Order > Miscellaneous
Dores - Donald Fraser, blacksmith, Dores, appeared at Inverness Sheriff Court accused of taking forceful possession of a house belonging to his brother, James Fraser
Scottish Highlander Thursday, December 1, 1887
Page/Col Ref:5C

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 October 14 19:54 BST (UK) »
Probably you’re familiar with this website?  It has more info on the family and 1887 court case http://frasersandatkinsons.blogspot.co.uk/2011/06/fraser-children-of-dores-grow-up.html

Extracts from the 1901 Inverness-shire Directory:
James Fraser, Blacksmith, Dores by Inverness, annual rent £5
Thomas Fraser, Blacksmith, Duhallow, Gorthlick, annual rent £14
Rev John Fraser, United Free Church, Dores, annual Rent £16
(This is a different Rev John Fraser; he was married with children)

The closest match for a death for James in 1907 is at Inverness/Inverness shire aged 59 (b 1848)
(bearing in mind that the 1891 census gives his birth year as 1846 and the 1901 as 1851)

Offline irenaf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 06 October 14 20:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you again for all the info. I am following up your details on Donald at the moment and will get back to you.