Author Topic: James, Donald, John Fraser of Dores Invernessshire  (Read 13378 times)

Offline irenaf

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James, Donald, John Fraser of Dores Invernessshire
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 07 October 14 18:30 BST (UK) »
thank you to you both for your interesting info. Poor Lily Fraser, no relation,  - she seemed so bright in 2001 with the new computer being installed. In the article she mentions the elderly, former postmistress (82) and then 12 years later Lily is in care and passes in her sleep.  Really sad how quickly time passes by.
This PO is the new one that was built - probably had electricity and running water. When she talks about the original post mistress ( gosh 60 years ago must have been just post war!) this was surely for the new building.
Interesting re John's name - I had though in the records it was a C (as Cleather was a family name) so the E was a surprise. I must look back at the Church records and see if  he was given two names at the christening.

Offline WDFraser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 02:29 BST (UK) »
Hi.
I am a Canadian Fraser. My g.g.g grandfather was James Fraser from Balnafouch near Dores. He was married to Anne Fraser and worked as a blacksmith. He and Anne had 8-9 children between 1786 and 1810.  One died young, 6 came to Canada and at least one stayed in Scotland and may well have been a blacksmith. I am not certain of the name. If you might be a descendant of the Scottish branch of the family, please let me know 

Offline WDFraser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 02:35 BST (UK) »
By the Way. James Fraser and Ann Fraser had a daughter Mary Fraser born about 1810.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 03:29 BST (UK) »
Hi WD,

You may want to edit your post to remove your email addy as this is prohibited on forum but let people know you are willing to send them your email by PM (Private Message).

To ensure the PM option is in place you could place another post just to notch up your 3 entries as it's to deter spamming.

Annie

PM's
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline irenaf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 07:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your response to my request. I came to a halt a couple of years ago because I needed to go into this branch of the Frasers, and there are so many Frasers it was difficult to identify which ones were which. I have the Fraser family tree on Ancestry and so you are welcome to look at it. It is under Moodie2. I have started up again looking back at the early 1800s. You given me lots of clues so it shouldn't be too difficult to move on to the next stage. The James who was the blacksmith was my gg grandfather. (1802-1881). His oldest son Thomas (1834-1921) was also a blacksmith and lived in Errogie. the house and smiddy was only recently demolished. My plan for this coming winter was to dig a bit deeper into the period between 1746 and 1830 just to establish genuine links. I know there were a number of Fraser families at Balnafoich around 1800.  I would like to keep in touch with you so we could share what information we have of this period. I will look up the people you have mentioned and see exactly if and where they fit in. Perhaps I should add that I was brought up in Inverness and knew my great aunts and of course my grandfather. One of my great aunts did not die until 1974, she was in her 90s. They visited and stayed with their grandparent in Dores village at times.

Offline irenaf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 08:02 BST (UK) »
To Br1gau
I note your response was some years ago so sorry. I missed it. However your idea was totally correct!  It appears that this adopting another middle name was commonplace to distinguish yourself from someone else of the same name. Probably the very reason you suggested. Yes John seems to have adopted the Edward, again a family name from the past. He came to a very sad end in that he and his sister were involved in an accident in 1914/15 from which they each suffered from broken bones and then gangrene from which they both died. Thank you for your suggestion. 

Offline KGordonF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 29 June 17 17:39 BST (UK) »
My grandfather at age 60 was living at Balnafoich in 1871 with his family including my grandfather, age 8.  I visited there in 1990-beautiful view of Loch Ness!  I also have an old picture of the of the house with two women standing outside.  Captioned on the back is Mrs. Carl??? Mrs. F. Tyther.  There is no date.   

Offline WDFraser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 29 June 17 21:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the Information.  The James and Anne Fraser who I am seeking were married in about 1784 (on Christmas Day).  Their first son John was born in 1786 and the second son James in 1789. I suspect that the last born entered the world around 1805.   James married in Canada to an Isabelle Grant who was the granddaughter of 'Angus the Robber' Grant who was sent into slavery in Barbados for 14 years after the '45.  After being pardoned, he and his family went to the US for some time and end up, paradoxically, as United Empire Loyalist, being expelled to Canada after the Am Revolution.  Talk about being consistent in choosing the loosing side. She married James Fraser in Martintown Ontario.  I own the log cabin they built in 1818, still in good condition.  So Thomas the Blacksmith may or may not have been from this family.  Thomas' father, if his name was James, was not the son of the above James, who had already migrated to Canada..

Offline WDFraser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 29 June 17 21:04 BST (UK) »
By the way, if you wish to continue the discussion about Balnafoich Frasers, please send  your email address, or set up a gmail address where it would be possible to chat.

Thanks
WD FRASER