Author Topic: Jaques/Jacques from Bubwith and area  (Read 2568 times)

Offline Welcomedays

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jaques/Jacques from Bubwith and area
« on: Monday 06 October 14 21:09 BST (UK) »
Looking for birth information on a James Jaques, b. About 1740.  He married Ann Walker in Seaton Ross in 1770 and resided in Bubwith until his death in 1808. His early occupation was a general labourer but then he became a shop keeper and Flax merchant.  Children are Mary (1772), John 1776-1864), Martha (1777) who marries William Wallis in 1808, William (1782) and James (1788). In addition to birth info for James am also looking for info on children Martha, William and James who may have gone to the Sculcoates/Hull area.
I am descended from John and have considerable info on my direct line.
Any and all ideas greatly appreciated.
S.

Offline gogogadgetlegs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Jaques/Jacques from Bubwith and area
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 October 14 13:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Welcomedays,
Here are some entries from Bubwith Parish Records 1650ish-1812 some you may have but I have taken all the records for Jaques from it,

Bapt 29/04/1772, Mary daur of John & Ann, Labourer of Breighton.
Bapt 14/12/1777, Martha daur of John & Ann Labourer of Breighton
Bapt 23/06/1782, William son of John & Ann, Labourer of Breighton, born 15th June,
Bapt 30/04/1786, John son of John & Ann, Labourer of Breighton,
Bapt 28/09/1788, James son of John & Ann of Breighton.

Burial James Jaques 19/08/1808, Shopkeeper, Buried at ye Churchyard, No MI found for Bubwith Churchyard for any Jaques Burials.
Burial Mary Jaques 01/06/1772 daur of James Jaques of Breighton.

Marr 22/08/1808, Wm Wallace & Martha Jaques, both of this Parish, Banns by me Thos Wharton, Curate, witnessed by Thos Ask (Jnr) & Geo Hagar.
Marr 12/11/1810, Wm Fluggins & Ann Jaques, both of this Parish, Licence by me Thos Wharton, Curate, witnessed by Thos Ask (Jnr) & John Underwood. Maybe Ann remarried after deeathbof her husband as this marriage suggests as it is by Licence.

I found no other entries for this name in Bubwith so James must have been born somewhere else.
Hope this is of help to you,
best wishes,
gogogadgetlegs
Lincolnshire,   Andrew/s Jenkinson, 
Yorkshire,   Andrew/s, Watson, Norris, Simpson, Binnington, Willingham, Theakston, Kingdom, Brown, Fewson, Croforth, Boynton/Bointon, Jenkinson, Crawford/Croforth, Hessey, Harper, Mann, Worledge, Flatman.
Kent, Kingdom, Cosham,
Norfolk,   Worlidge, Flatman, Alden, West, Kett, Gathercole. Starkey
Suffolk,   Wallage, Worledge, Starkey
Nth Battleford, Canada, Worledge, Flatman
Devon, Kingdom, Sparkes Morrish, Rumley, Westcott, Pleace
o
Census Info Crown Copyrig

Offline Welcomedays

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 October 14 17:28 BST (UK) »
Many thanks...this is all my family and I have all these records and am looking to go beyond.  Have been going through all ERY to find James birth,but with no luck so far. Also trying to work on families of Martha Jaques and William Wallis(Wallace) and James 1788 and William 1782. I believe that the brothers may have gone to the Hull Sculcoates area...but not sure yet. I will do another posting with data to check,
Re Ann widow of James she is buried at Hemingbrough (1829) and lived in Cliffe after James died. Yes, she married William Higgins (who was a great deal younger than her). He was from Rawcliffe and returned there after living in Cliffe for some years. I know there must be a story here...but don't know what as yet.
However I also have not yet found birth for Ann Walker...about 1745. As they were married in Seaton Ross,I have been looking at neighbouring parishes.
Thanks again for your help....
Welcomedays

Offline British Kiwi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 January 15 09:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I was revisiting some census documents for my gx4 grandfather and in 1841 there is a FS called Martha JAQUES. She was 20 and from Yorkshire. She was living at Sylvester street, Hull.  Any relation?

Edit: My ancestor was John Richardson DUNCAN
Phillips: Gloucestershire, Kent, Isle of Wight, Co Durham
Marsh (me): Dorset, Middlesex
Marsh (husband): Lancashire
Stephens: Devon, Cornwall
Gravill: Lincolnshire, East Riding (Hull), Dundee, NZ
Leighton: Forfarshire (mainly Dundee), Crete, NZ
Ferrier: Dundee

Offline AJacques

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 April 17 17:41 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I too am descended from John (1776 -1864) (My 5x Great Grandfather) I've also been struggling to go back from James (1740ish-1808) The only extra information that I can offer is that he was born in Holbeck,Leeds,UK (according to William Jaques (1838-1918) And that his father was David Jaques

Many Thanks
Andy

Offline Welcomedays

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 00:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy...good to hear from you.  We are undoubtedly about 4th cousins... or so.  I am still working on James as I have been for many years with little or no success and had been working with cousin Phil Jacques (who sadly passed on last year).  We had come to the conclusion that it just didn't make sense that James was born in the Leeds (Holbeck area) although we checked through countless records with no indication of a father named David.  It is more likely that he came from somewhere closer to the Bubwith area...or at least not so far away.  Another rare thing is that he could write at the time of his marriage to Ann Walker in 1770...a big rarity for a labourer.  So perhaps he had been raised by a more wealthy family (ie. informally adopted) and then found his way first to Seaton Ross to marry Ann...then back to Breighton.  In any case, I think we need to carry on working on this...If/ when I find something I will post again. Thanks so much for your interest...it is greatly appreciated.  PS.  Have you done your DNA.  I have just sent away for mine...which may provide a clue...although only that they likely came from France sometime before.
Hope you will stay in touch...regards. Sandi

Offline AJacques

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 20:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandi,

Phil was my uncle, I knew he'd been working on this, although I wasn't aware of the extent he had gone to until recently.

I did pick up about the signed Banns Entry and thought it seemed somewhat strange for him to have the ability to write.

I have picked up one thing (and I'm sure you have probably looked at this as well) there is a James Jaques born 1745 Middleton In Oldham whose father was David.

Another thought I had was that William got the name David wrong - I read somewhere (whether its true or not I'm not sure?) that a meaning of Jaques is "son of James" and that possibly James's Father was James as well but known as David?

I haven't done the DNA thing yet, but let me know if you get any clues!

Speak soon

Thanks
Andy

Offline Welcomedays

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 21:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy...good to hear from you. Glad that you are working in this too. It is indeed a puzzle.
Yes, Phil was really  into this and had a lot of material from different areas...a lot of Memorial Inscription booklets, etc.  Perhaps Angie might share this with you if you are located close by.

Re James...the JacquesJacques name definitely means James...so possibly it was a James Jacques for his father.  I believe the one in Oldham died young..although it is worth checking again as it was Phil who told me this.  However there is another one in the Leeds area whose parents were Martha and someone...also a good possibility as a James and Ann had a daughter Martha.  But I think this one may have died young too.  I do not have all my research notes in front of me...so must double check.

Re the writing on his marriage certificate...I think his ability to write may have been part of the reason that he was a witness at so many weddings in Bubwith in later years.  If you check those records you will note that. Perhaps he was an Elder at the church.  He also witnessed a Codicil for a will to a Hepton...a well to do family in the area.  Do you have that info?

Also have you been in touch with Alec Jacques in Cliff.  He is the great grandson of the William that wrote the possibly misleading rough copy of a birth certificate... I will try to contact you offline to give you some of this info....

Thanks again for replying...we will get there one day! 
Cheers
Cousin Sandi
Halfmoon Bay, BC Canada