Author Topic: Who is this - what uniform?  (Read 2387 times)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Who is this - what uniform?
« on: Tuesday 07 October 14 08:26 BST (UK) »
I have a photo which has a handwritten notation stating that it is Frank GOULDBY, Hussars in Canada early 1900s. This notation is not correct as Frank was certainly in Canada from 1910 to his death in 1913 but the census, immigration and death records show his occupation as 'fish merchant' or 'labourer'.  Frank was born 1879, Kessingland Suffolk, married in Lowestoft and went to Canada with his wife and children in 1910.

His older brother Edgar GOULDBY (1874-1950) also went to Canada with his wife and family, remaining there until his death.  Perhaps this man in the photo is him?

There is another Frank GOULDBY (a cousin) who enlisted in UK in WW1.

Hopefully someone may be able to help identify the uniform which would help me fit it into the family.

Previous R'chat thread
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=345240.0

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lyn22

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Who is this - what uniform?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 October 14 08:47 BST (UK) »
Hello I had a look at Canadian Attestation Papers There is a Thomas Edgar Gouldby born 28th Aug 1874 born in Lowestoft Suffolk England. Next of kin wife Harriatt present address 13 Pape Ave. Trade or calling Stoker. Could this be your Edgar.  If you Google Canadian Attestation papers you can search and see it for free . There is also an Edward Gouldby's Attestation Papers born 17th Nov 1897 13 Pape Ave Toronto. You already have this I should have read the other thread first. Take Care Lynette  :)
Peter Burke father Dominick Burke wife Bridget Bagley son James Burke wife Lucy Dyke County Mayo Coventry England Australia . Grant ,Snell,Diggins , Burton, James Frederick Elmore /Elmer , Alfred James Bailey , Julia Elmore , Pierson

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 October 14 11:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Lynette.

I'll have another look at the Canadian attestation papers but, from memory, they don't give much of an indication of the army placement.

I have plenty about Edgar and Frank other than wondering who this chap is.  The handwriting looks as though it's my husband's sister who helped her mother label family photos many years ago.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 March 16 02:59 GMT (UK) »
Thought I'd bump this up in hopes that some fresh eyes might see it!  Judith

Offline MaecW

• RootsChat Senior
  • Yma o hyd
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 March 16 11:49 GMT (UK) »
The photo is much too small to see uniform details, any chance of producing a better copy ?

The notation on it may not be wrong. Whilst you know that Frank was not a full-time soldier, have you considered that he might have been a part-timer in the reserves ( the equivalent of today's Territorial Army in the UK) ? There seem to have been several Hussar regiments in the Canadian Army about this time.

Maec
Baron (of Blackburn), Chadwick (Oswaldtwistle), Watkins (Swansea), Jones (x3 Swansea), Colton (Shropshire), Knight (Shropshire/Montgomery) , Bullen (Norfolk), White (Dorset)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 March 16 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply, Maec  Unfortunately I have only a photocopy of the original photo.  I am thinking you may be right, or it may be a photo of his brother, Edgar.

Perhaps I might try the Canada board as someone there may recognise the uniform.  As I said, I think the notation came from my husband"s mother who was born in 1899.  Her father Frank GOULDBY died in 1913 when Mabel was 14 so it's highly probable that the notation is not correct.

Thanks again, Judith

Offline Lilly09

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 April 18 05:11 BST (UK) »
I’m Edgar Gouldby greatgrand daughter from Toronto Ontario Canada

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 April 18 06:01 BST (UK) »
Hello Lilly09

You share some ancestors with my husband. Your great-grandfather Edgar was the sixth child of Edward GOULDBY (1835-1910) and his wife Mary (nee DODDINGTON).  My husband is descended from the seventh child, Frank GOULDBY (1879-1913), younger brother of your Edgar.

I have been able to trace this family back as far as about 1800.  They are almost all in the eastern part of the county of Suffolk (England).  The GOULDBYs were in the fish trade and many of them stayed around Kessingland/Lowestoft.  I have visited some of the churches where marriages, christenings and burials took place.

My husband's grandfather Frank (as above) went to Canada in 1910/1911 as well as Edgar but he died in hospital in Toronto aged only 34.  Frank's wife, Jessie, who had also emigrated returned to England with their two children so I think Edgar may have been the only one left in Canada.

I am happy to share what I've found if you are interested.  I have a public tree on Ancestry (Dwyer, Ballard) which you're welcome to look at.

Cheers, Judith

Offline Lilly09

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 April 18 12:12 BST (UK) »
I don’t know much about my great grand dad or his family in the uk I would like to know more or find some family in the uk