Author Topic: Moodie/Moody Renfrewshire help  (Read 3724 times)

Offline irenaf

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Moodie/Moody Renfrewshire help
« on: Tuesday 07 October 14 12:59 BST (UK) »
The earliest record of my father's family is of Alexander Moodie (b possibly 1820) who is resident in Neilston. He married a local girl, Janet Millar in 1847 and had 3 children 1849 Jane; 1851 William; 1852 Alexander. He is listed as a Blockprinter. His wife also worked in the cotton industry in Barrhead.

There are no census details for him although there are for Janet and children. A Moodie relative did a DNA test and we have found that there is a connection with someone in US. This was for a generation around 1800. Part of a Moody (note sp) family in Ireland  set off for Canada. Many of that family moved to the US and there are now many Moody's from the family there.

The Moodie males in Scotland are Alexander/William/. Over a number of generations the males die early from heart disease. There is no indication why  Alexander disappeared. Did he die (no death cert)?, did he go back to Ireland? did he emigrate and leave his wife and children behind? did he leave with someone else.

I wonder if anyone has info about birth details, families that came to Scotland from Ireland around 1800.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Moodie/Moody Renfrewshire help
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 October 14 13:24 BST (UK) »
Hi

Have you  seen this family on the 1851

Neilston
Margaret Moody, 64, b. Houston, Renfrew
Alex, s, married, 39, Calico Printer, b. Edinburgh
Janet, (daughter but poss d in l), 31, married, weaver, b. Neilston
Andrew Miller, grds, 12, Tearer b. do
Margaret Miller, grdd, 6, b. do
Jane Miller,grdd, 2, b. do
William Miller, grds, 8, b. do

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 October 14 13:27 BST (UK) »
Janet is listed as a widow in 1861 so Alex probably died 1851-1861.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 07:47 BST (UK) »
I have a William Moodie, calico printer, of Barrhead, who married Elisabeth Cook on 19 July 1845, in Neilston.  Their daughter, Margaret McWatt Moodie, born 27 December 1846 and baptised at the manse Neilston on 6 May 1847. I can't find any mention of them after that date and suspect they may have emigrated.

Could William be a brother to your Alexander? Elisabeth was born 1826 Ireland (probably Carnmoney Antrim) so William was probably born about the same date. Perhaps they connect with the Moodys in the US or Canada?

Jan
England:
Durham: COULSON, FENWICK, HUNTER, LOWES, NAYLOR, ROBSON
Norfolk: DEWING, OUGHTON, TAYLOR,
Lancashire: TWEDDLE
Ireland: KEATING, KIRBY, Limerick; NELSON, Donegal
Scotland: BENNIE, Glasgow; COOK, Renfrewshire; HENDERSON, Alloa/Dundee; HUNTER, Glasgow; KIRKWOOD, Alloa; LAMONT, Dalkeith; YOUNG, Glasgow
Switzerland: VOSTI, DELUBINI
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Irene Mackay

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 08:07 BST (UK) »
HI Jan
I was so excited to see you post re William Moodie of Barrhead. I think we can be 99% sure that William and Alexander were brothers. There was only one Moodie family in Barrhead between 1820 and today. Alexander and his wife were involved in Cotton trade. William was a family name and there was one in each generation up till the last male, who died not that long ago. Do you know anything about Barrhead? I can give you much more info if you contact me personally. You can get my link on Facebook and then we can exchange email addresses. I am pretty sure that the brothers family originally came from Ireland as we had a DNA test done with the last Moodie relative in Scotland and we were linked with Moodie's in US. One of them is very interested in ancestry and contacted me. His ancestor had travelled to Canada/US in 1804 from Ireland and there are many blood relatives now there. Irene Mackay (Moodie)

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 08:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Irene,
Thanks for your reply. Not sure how to find you via Facebook so I've sent you a PM with my email address.
Jan
England:
Durham: COULSON, FENWICK, HUNTER, LOWES, NAYLOR, ROBSON
Norfolk: DEWING, OUGHTON, TAYLOR,
Lancashire: TWEDDLE
Ireland: KEATING, KIRBY, Limerick; NELSON, Donegal
Scotland: BENNIE, Glasgow; COOK, Renfrewshire; HENDERSON, Alloa/Dundee; HUNTER, Glasgow; KIRKWOOD, Alloa; LAMONT, Dalkeith; YOUNG, Glasgow
Switzerland: VOSTI, DELUBINI
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk