Author Topic: How can I go one generation further back?  (Read 5693 times)

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How can I go one generation further back?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 19 November 14 09:53 GMT (UK) »
As the date of the marriage has been entered into the record, then the signatures will be the original signatures of the bride and groom.  As such the entry is the marriage entry, rather than just the banns.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline bibliotaphist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 19 November 14 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for taking a look at this.

I'm glad other people think there is a difference in handwriting between the 'text' of the entries and the names signed.

So it could be the case that this is a copy of the actual signature of Robert Stainthorp, who I believe may have been my five-greats grandfather, the father of Francis Stainthorp (1765-1822).

What's odd is that on the Bishop's Transcript of the parish record entry for the marriage of Robert Stainthorp to Margaret Wilchinson on 15th May 1764 in Rudby, which I believe was probably the first marriage of the same Robert Stainthorp who later married Anne Porrit in Ayton, he evidently didn't or couldn't sign the register, as the transcript reads "Robert Stainthorp X his mark".

...so even if and when I get a look at the original P.R. for Rudby, I won't be able to compare the signatures.

Paul

Offline bibliotaphist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 19 November 14 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Wills are a good way of figuring out who belongs to whom. There are lots of Stainthorp(e) / Stainthrop wills from the 1700's onwards but no Robert unfortunately, although this could be wife Margaret:

July 1828: Margaret Stainthorpe of Hutton Nr Rudby (Administration)

It may also be worth ordering the will of Francis who died in 1822 if you don't already have it as this may name extended family members.

Semi-related: I now have a copy of the Admon of Margaret Stainthorpe d.1828, and she is indeed the daughter of Francis Stainthorp d.1822. Lots of good detail about the next generation's marriages, but no help at all with identifying Margaret's grandfather Robert.

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 19 November 14 14:35 GMT (UK) »
http://greatayton.wikidot.com/parish-registers

For any future use, this website has transcripts of Great Ayton Parish Registers and also some strays found in Stokesley PR.

Offline david.lyon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 06 December 14 13:03 GMT (UK) »
when you find all these church register entry's make notes of all the people listed at weddings christenings and funerals, It may be that its an event that is not or appears to be not related to you, and then you go back another 1 or 2 generations only to find that they are related. at which time you curse your self for discarding them.
Lyon-N Yorkshire, Robson-N E Yorkshire, Evans Staffordshire Durham Gloucestershire.
Smalley-Lincolnshire, Depear-Lincolnshire, Venters-Lincolnshire,Clifton-Lincolnshire

Offline bibliotaphist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 07 September 15 22:42 BST (UK) »
It's been six months so I'm going to close this one down until any new records come to light. 

I'm reasonably happy now that there were two Robert Stainthorps, that they were father and son, and that the younger Robert was the father of Francis Stainthorp (c.1765-1822).

I've also found a suspected daughter to the second marriage of the younger Robert Stainthorp to Ann Porrit.

david.lyon - my apologies for not acknowledging your reply. Noted and agreed. Certain surnames (Cust; Eland; Hebbron; Rain[ey]; Sanderson) are already cropping up regularly amongst this 'lot' as witnesses to marriages and wills and I'm sure I'll see some of them again - it wasn't a very big village.

I'm using Rootsmagic software to record all details of witnesses to events. Links below: 

Robert Stainthorp (c.1722-1786)
         |
Robert Stainthorp (c.1744-1820)
         |
Francis Stainthorp (c.1765-1822)

Thanks all for your help.

Offline diroka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 26 February 16 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Hey Paul,
Have you found out where any of the Stainthorp's are buried? I cannot find any burial records anywhere on any of them. I found one grave at, I believe, St. Hilda's when we were there last summer.
Kathy

Offline bibliotaphist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 27 February 16 04:13 GMT (UK) »
Hey Paul,
Have you found out where any of the Stainthorp's are buried? I cannot find any burial records anywhere on any of them. I found one grave at, I believe, St. Hilda's when we were there last summer.
Kathy

Hi Kathy. I have lots of records of where the Stainthorps *were* buried (which I will ping across to you - some from the local history society in Hutton which have been very helpful) but as I mentioned in my email barely any headstones /memorials have survived if they ever existed in the first place... which is a great shame.

Since I last updated this post in September I have found some new records which have helped tidy up the couple of generations before Francis (1765-1822) and to confirm the relationships. I'm now reasonably convinced that the mini tree below is correct.

Francis b. c.1696/7
   |
Robert b. c.1722
   |__________________
   |                                    |
Robert b. 1744             James b. 1748
Francis b. 1765            David b. 1778
Francis b. 1803            William Wright b. 1811
Charles b. 1835            Betsy b. 1842