Author Topic: Hirst,William b1832-1838  (Read 16482 times)

Offline Ratty2

• RootsChat Senior
  • Burg Crest Schleswig-Holstein
    • View Profile
Re: Hirst,William b1832-1838
« Reply #18 on: Monday 13 October 14 22:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks Christine, that'd be most helpful. Not sure if I have access to those directories, not being sure of the place. Do you have the link to the directories, please?
Yes, I wonder if it may be Wardle but mistaken for Wardel.
Cheers
David
Schleswig-Holstein:- Rathgen; Rathjen; Oelkers; Behnke; Scheel; Rothgarn; Normanns; Scotland:- Lindsay

Offline Ratty2

• RootsChat Senior
  • Burg Crest Schleswig-Holstein
    • View Profile
Joshua Hirst architect
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 16 October 14 05:09 BST (UK) »
Joshua HIRST (about 1832-1838), architect (possibly Leeds or Northumberland, name given is Wardel, Northumberland.)
Joshua was said to be an architect - does anybody have a Directory or similar of architects in Leeds, please? Family memory thinks of him from Leeds.
I cannot find him in FreeCen, FreeBDM, FreeReg; nor in the census of 1841,1851,1861. 
His wife was Frances DALTON - no further information.
His son William was born either 1832 or 1838. William's marriage certificate says his birth place was 'Wardel/Wardal' in Northumbria. Genuki website does not list such a place, nor does the search engine Google find such a place in England. Not found in FreeCen, FreeBDM or FreeReg; nor any census.

Schleswig-Holstein:- Rathgen; Rathjen; Oelkers; Behnke; Scheel; Rothgarn; Normanns; Scotland:- Lindsay

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joshua Hirst architect
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 16 October 14 06:18 BST (UK) »
Looking at the information you have given about Joshua I am wondering if his name and occupation came from son William's marriage certificate and this all you know about Joshua?

(I presume the dates "1832-1838" you have in brackets after Joshua's name are a mistake?)

Can I ask where son William married (as I presume it is not in England if his mother Frances Dalton, was named on his marriage certificate). (As you are in Australia I presume William married there?)

PS. Can you post a snip of William's place of birth from his marriage certificate so we can see if we can work out what it might be.

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 16 October 14 06:37 BST (UK) »
There is a Wallsend and a Warden in Northumberland. I am not presuming these are the correct place but just somewhere to consider.

If William provided information about his place of birth on his marriage certificate it may not be accurate as many people did not know where they were born. :-\

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 16 October 14 07:11 BST (UK) »
A previous thread may help topics merged by moderator
Kay

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 16 October 14 07:28 BST (UK) »

Thank you very much Kay. You saved me from going over what had already been found ....

Ratty, if you wish to continue the search you should have continued on your previous thread or supplied a link to it. :-\

Right, do you have William's immigration record? Did he travel alone or with family? What did his immigration record say about his place of birth? Also his Australian d/c - though not as reliable I would be interested to know his place of birth and his parent's names and father's occupation from his d/c.

You have a broad range of possible years of birth for William - What was his age at immigration? Age at death? Do they tally with him being 29 when he married?

It might just be me, but it seems a bit odd that William was a miner but his father was an architect. Unless he was not an architect as we know it today. Architect/miner - different 'classes' of profession ....  :-\ Not impossible of course, but .....

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 16 October 14 08:40 BST (UK) »
Also his Australian d/c - though not as reliable I would be interested to know his place of birth and his parent's names and father's occupation from his d/c.

On another thread http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=701585.msg5445560#msg5445560 his birthplace from the death cert. is said to be Leeds.

Joshua was said to be an architect - does anybody have a Directory or similar of architects in Leeds, please? Family memory thinks of him from Leeds.

On your thread on the Northumberland Board c-side suggested you looked at the Trade Directories available via the University of Leicester:
Your best bet to find an architect would be through trade directories of the time.  The University of Leicester have a searchable data base covering some of these online.  It should come up if you google it.

Have you followed up this suggestion :-\ 
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 16 October 14 09:25 BST (UK) »
The archives at RIBA are quite helpful on architects, might be worth a look.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 16 October 14 09:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jen.  ::)