Author Topic: Old Building Gallowgate Glasgow?  (Read 8752 times)

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Francis McNab 1874 - 1932
    • View Profile
Re: Old Building Gallowgate Glasgow?
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 09 October 14 10:45 BST (UK) »
Checking out the "satellite" views and back/side street views - I have found that possibly the Heilan Jessie Pub and the other building I am interested in, are actually quite similar buildings, inasmuch as the Heilan Jessie entrance from Claythorn Street shows that is has the same "round tower" that I mentioned in my last post.  Tried to get a side/or back street view of "My" building - can only see a rooftop - but it looks like it has the same round tower idea.  What interesting buildings!!  Will try to attach views to show what I mean.
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 09 October 14 10:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Falkryn
I understand your comments about changes of number/names of streets etc.... but even just knowing a wee bit about the general area where my family were, just puts a different slant to their story.  And I must say that I was a relative youngster when I left Glasgow - and knew so little about my own city!!  It is great to get all this help with local knowledge and history!! 
Here's to all you Rootschatters!!
Maggs
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 09 October 14 11:09 BST (UK) »
Magbill, it will have a turnpike stair as has Hielan Jessie's, Claythorn Street separates the two where it joins the Gallowgate and Chalmers Street ran behind your building. Now apparently Chalmers Gate?

Skoosh.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 16:27 BST (UK) »
Maggbill, took a wee stroll doon the Gallowgate this morning and checked the building out. The plaque on the front says 394 Gallowgate 1771, the same age as that containing "Hielan Jessie's", probably built by the same contractor, and predating the Barracks by 20 years when Barrack Street itself was laid out. So maybe back to the drawing board pal. The Barracks closed in 1871 when the military moved to Maryhill Barracks. The land was owned by the town council and formerly known as the Butts, where the citizens were required to practice their archery in the good old days. Here was fought "The Battle of the Butts" in the 16th century between the Earl of Lennox, supported by the Glaswegians, against the Earl of Arran & the Hamiltons, 300 killed on each side with the Hamiltons victorious and Glasgow sacked.
The city got its own back at the "Battle of Langside" when Glasgow backed the Regent Moray and the Hamiltons backed Mary Queen of Scots, although she never trusted them an inch. All in all it was a great wee chance to spill Hamilton blood! :)

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 05:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Skoosh,

Thanks so much for following this up, and finding the actual number of the nice old building - Maybe one day I too will be able to have a wee stroll or a wee "donner" doon the Gallowgate!! 

Even if the number of these two buildings is or was in the high 300's and they are a bit from where I imagine 326 might have been - not too worried really because I am sure that there would be nothing at all remaining of where my ancestors actually lived - but just knowing that these old buildings would have been known/been in the general area in those days just gives me a vague "visual".  And it also makes me aware that I am not that knowledgeable about the actual history of my own birth city!

So, thanks a Million!!  Very kind of you!

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 11:09 BST (UK) »
Magbill,  any questions you have about Glasgow try these sites, somebody will have the answer,

http://urbanglasgow.co.uk/index.php

http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/

Bests,

Skoosh.

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 11:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Skoosh

Much appreciated!

Maggs

Offline cecile

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 22 October 14 12:56 BST (UK) »
Hello
I have just been reading all the info about Gallowgate! My gt grandfather Robert Fraser was born at 99 Gallowgate in 1856. I see amongst the info on the Gallowgate pub that it was owned by James Fraser. The name James Fraser is constantly popping up in the family tree. Robert had an Uncle James Fraser and a brother James Fraser, I wonder if there is any connection. I also read that property around 99 Gallowgate was pulled down. I have tried to find pictures but to no avail.
Very interesting info anyway.
Best wishes
Cecile

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 22 October 14 14:21 BST (UK) »
Cecile,  99 must be nearer Glasgow Cross, on the north side of the Gallowgate. The house he was born in must be between the Chrystal Bell's & the Saracen Head. A photo of a James Fraser standing outside his pub at 267 Gallowgate on here,

http://www.oldglasgowpubs.co.uk/chrystalbell.html

Skoosh.