Author Topic: Old Building Gallowgate Glasgow?  (Read 8753 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Old Building Gallowgate Glasgow?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 08 October 14 11:55 BST (UK) »
Some stuff on the Barracks,  I have drunk in Heilan Jessie's on occasion, a very well run shop it is too,  with a decent whisky measure, unlike some I could mention whose "haufs" wouldn't fill your back cavities! :)

http://www.glasgowhistory.co.uk/Books/EastGlasgowDictionary/EastGlasgowArticles/Barracks.htm

Offline garngad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 08 October 14 12:08 BST (UK) »
In the Saracens Head (sarry heid) public house just lower down the Gallowgate I am sure there is a mention of your building maggbill and it refers I think to the building as a dwelling for surgeons for the Royal that is the hospital at the top of High st Castle St you could maybe try phoning the current landlady who`s first name is Anne maybe she would be of help.
Henderson
Crawford

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Francis McNab 1874 - 1932
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 08 October 14 12:28 BST (UK) »
Wow,
thanks again everyone for your information - what a wealth of knowledge.... and now I can understand why 3 of the 4 daughters of this family went off and married soldiers!!  They were right there at their doorstep!!  Unfortunately - within 8 years of the family arrival in Glasgow, (always living at the Gallowgate - but moved to 492 later) - all four girls were married, had a child, and died!!  (one of them even dying in Karachi - with the regiment!)... So - take your choice - what would have been the healthier place to live then - the Gallowgate or Karachi!!! 

Amazing!!
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 08 October 14 12:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Garngad

That phone call to "Anne" would have to be a very long distance one (me being in South Australia!).  So, do you mean that it is currently used for Staff from the Royal??  or - sorry - do you mean that "Anne" is the landlady of the "Sarrie Heid"??   Have heard of the "Sarrie" - will put it on my "bucket list" to check out!!
Thanks !!
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 08 October 14 14:14 BST (UK) »
Maggbill, the building you cite has it's back to the Gallowgate, questionable whether that would be  it's address?
 Here's Hielan Jessie's, also with a nepus gable to the street, very sadly the landlords wife has just died.

http://www.hielanjessie.co.uk/

Bests,

Skoosh.

Offline garngad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 08 October 14 14:34 BST (UK) »
Sorry maggbill thought you where domiciled in engerland (please don't phone the sarry unless you work out the correct Scottish opening times lol) like I said its something that I read in the bar area regards to the building back in the 18th early 19th that it was a surgeons resident maybe something to do with the barracks and the Glasgow Royal but it was a while back and I did have a wee dram in me.
Henderson
Crawford

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 09 October 14 10:29 BST (UK) »
Hi again Everyone,

I think I see what you mean Skoosh - it seems that the Building does not have an entrance onto The Gallowgate ??? (though it even has a "Gallowgate" sign on its wall.) From one view I got of it, it seems that at the back of it, there might be a sort of a white round tower/turret sort of a bit of building?  Anyway I could see the whole building - oh should try "aerial view"...

Does anyone know if the building has a name, a number or an actual address?  I would like to find out more about it - and wonder if there are any articles around about its history/restoration etc - but can't search for it unless I know the exact "Name/Number".

And Garngad - if ever I come over to Glasgow - will maybe share that wee dram in the Heilan Jessie!!
Cheers!

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 09 October 14 10:41 BST (UK) »
My ancestors lived at 326 Gallowgate Glasgow,  in 1864.  I know most of the Gallowgate seems to have gone, as have old buildings, but have "Street view" requested 326 Gallowgate and came up with the attached photo of building. (hope I am not breaking any rules by putting it on here)..  Does anyone have local knowledge of the area, or even of the specific building?  It looks old - and somewhat "special" so am wondering if it is of significance - how old it is - would it have been around mid 19th century?  Too much to hope for?  And would it have been close to my ancestors "residence"? 
Any thoughts welcome.

Don't get too attached to modern addresses which "match" old records. The majority of Glasgow's streets were renumbered in the 1920's/30's when a major renaming of duplicate street names also took place.

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 09 October 14 10:42 BST (UK) »
Sorry duplicated post