Author Topic: Bruen Family  (Read 5463 times)

Offline Tom Langley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Bruen Family
« on: Wednesday 08 October 14 19:40 BST (UK) »
I am trying to link my my Bruen ancestors with the Bruens of Stapleford and/or Tarvin who appeared on the Visitation records. I have traced my line back to Jonathan Bruen who married Alice Catherall 1st April 1661 Tarvin, Cheshire. Their children were all baptised in Tarvin.
I have found three possible baptisms for Jonathan but am unable to find which one he is for sure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Langley, Broughton, Taylor, Broad, Cooper, Owen, Bennion, Yorke, Knox, Norcup, Holland, Brookes, White, Davies, Huntbach, Bowler, Barnett.

Offline Tom Langley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Bruen Family
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 May 15 12:51 BST (UK) »
Sorry to revive my old question. But still havent got anywhere with this. Any help would be fantastic!!
Tom
Langley, Broughton, Taylor, Broad, Cooper, Owen, Bennion, Yorke, Knox, Norcup, Holland, Brookes, White, Davies, Huntbach, Bowler, Barnett.

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 May 15 11:28 BST (UK) »
Hello Tom,

I wondered whether you have searched for Wills for Bruen family members in the Cheshire RO? These might give you some clues, or precise information, on the parentage of Jonathon Bruen.

I found these on the website for this database:

John Bruen, Stapleford, Esq, 1625
Ralph Bruen, Tarvin, Yeoman, 1625
Richard Bruen, Huxley, Yeoman, 1640
John Bruen, Stapleford, Esq, 1648
Tilston Bruen, Foulk Stapleford, Gentleman, 1684.
Lucy Bruen, Stapleford, Widow, 1689.
Jonathon Bruen, Bruen Stapleford, Esq, 1694.
John Bruen, Stapleford, Esq, 1696.
Elizabeth Bruen, Bruen Stapleford, Minor, 1700.
Alice Bruen, Tarvin, Widow, 1705.
Jonathon Bruen, Bruen Stapleford, Esq, 1715.

I noticed a baptism for Jonathon Bruen in Tarvin in 1640, son of John Bruen. That may be the most likely candidate for the marriage in 1661.

I think that there is a local history book on Stapleford/ Foulk Stapleford/Bruen Stapleford which is in the series of local history books on villages in Cheshire. These tend to be in white covers and many were written by Frank Latham. Most of these are out of print now but they are kept in the RO. You may find more information on this family in this.

I used to live near to Stapleford and walked there frequently.

http://archivedatabases.cheshire.gov.uk/RecordOfficeWillEPayments/results.aspx?srch=basic&fn=&sur=bruen&ab=&sy=1600&ey=1800&sort=Surname

Jo.

Offline Tom Langley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 May 15 11:39 BST (UK) »
I have had alook at some of these wills. Alice 1705 is my direct ancestor, but its just an admin unfortunately.

I had these as possible baptisms for Jonathan:
Jonathan Bruen
England, Cheshire Bishop's Transcripts, 1598-1900
christening:   24 May 1640   Tarvin, Cheshire, England
residence:   24 May 1640   , Tarvin, Cheshire, England
father:   John Bruen

Jonathan Bruen
England, Cheshire Parish Registers, 1538-2000
christening:   14 April 1642   , Waverton, Cheshire, England
residence:   14 April 1642   , Waverton, Cheshire, England
father:   Jonathan Bruen

Jonathan Bruen
England, Cheshire Parish Registers, 1538-2000
christening:   30 October 1647   , Waverton, Cheshire, England
residence:   30 October 1647   , Waverton, Cheshire, England
father:   Thomas Bruen 

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 May 15 12:48 BST (UK) »
Do you have the names of the children of Jonathon Bruen please?

These can give an indication of the parents of the people concerned. The tendency was for the first born to be named after the father's parents but this wasn't always adhered to.

I remembered that there was a local history book written on Tarvin  in the series of these on Cheshire villages. I have read this myself as I have ancestors who lived there. These books usually had details of prominent families and people in the village, or around it. You may find something in the one on Tarvin which covers the Bruen family.

My view is that the Jonathon Bruen born 1640 in Tarvin is the most likely candidate. The one born 1642 in Waverton is a possibility. The baptism in 1647 in Waverton means that this Jonathon would have been 14 when he married in 1661, a bit young to marry perhaps?

Jo.

Offline Tom Langley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 May 15 12:53 BST (UK) »
They were james, Jonathan, jane, john, Elizabeth and hannah

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 May 15 11:41 BST (UK) »
When were James and Jane baptised, please? I have found baptisms for Jonathon, John, Elizabeth and Hannah but cannot locate the other two.

Do you have the names of the parents of Alice Catherall?

The only thing that strikes immediately is that the various Bruen families in that area seem to use the same names for their children. I noticed a Robert Bruen baptising children in Tarvin, do you know if he is related to Jonathon born 1640, or otherwise?

Offline Tom Langley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 28 May 15 21:47 BST (UK) »
James was bapt 17 August 1662 Tarvin and Jane in November 1665 Tarvin.
Pos family of Alice:
Name:   Allice Catherall
Event Type:   Christening
Event Date:   01 Sep 1633
Event Place:   Tarvin, Cheshire, England
Father's Name:   Willm Catherall

Name:   Willm Catherall
Event Type:   Marriage
Event Date:   26 Nov 1632
Event Place:   Tarvin, Cheshire, England
Spouse's Name:   Jane Leadbeater

Not sure about robert

Tom

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 June 15 11:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this information. I am struggling to find anything of relevance online.

The only references to James Bruen appear in the Wynbunbury area of Cheshire and one of these is shown as living in Stapeley. The Cheshire Parish Register Database has burials for James Bruen in 1682, shown as son of James Bruen. There is another burial for James Bruen in 1685, residence Stapeley.

There is another reference to James Bruen in the CPRDB. James Bruen married Elizabeth Radmore in 1668 in Wynbunbury parish. By Licence.

Ancestry has a baptism in Tarvin (but no date, or year) for Robert Bruen, shown as son of John Bruen and Dorothy Holford. They are also shown as having a son, James, born c1563. This isn't sourced from parish records but there are a number of Family Trees which all show this family.

There is a Robert Bruen who died c1693, who left an Admon showing he was a Gentleman of The City of Chester.

I wonder whether sources such as The Victoria County History of Cheshire, Tarvin section, or Ormerod's History of Cheshire, would provide details on this family. Some of these works have family trees of more prominent people.

I found reference to a Bruen Chapel in Tarvin St Andrew's:

http://parish.cheshire.gov.uk/tarvin/TarvinPCDirectory-MASTERCOPY%20Mar%2013.pdf

Scroll down to Tarvin Church.

This refers to "The Bruen family of Tarvin and nearby Stapleford". There may well be monumental inscriptions in the church which would help your search. The way this reads indicates there is a relationship between the Bruen families of Tarvin and Stapleford.

Have you enquired of the Cheshire RO as to whether they hold any information on the Bruen family? They could have family trees, or other information which would solve your query.

Jo.