Author Topic: Origins of Ellen Margaretta Honey (b. April 1845, Devenport)  (Read 12108 times)

Offline NNR

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Origins of Ellen Margaretta Honey (b. April 1845, Devenport)
« on: Thursday 09 October 14 12:23 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm trying to find some origins for an Ellen Margaretta Honey, born April 1845 at 51 Duke Street Devenport to Thomas Honey (a carpenter in the navy) and his wife Margarette Spargo. They had married in late 1841 in Totnes.

I have been unable to find the origins for this Thomas Honey, or where he is in the 1841 census. He was dead by the 1851 census. By this time, Ellen was living with her "Uncle" John Honey, aged 75 and of Buckland in Devon at Queen Street, Morice in Devenport. Was John her Uncle? Her Great Uncle? Her Grandfather? It's hard to tell. John lived with his wife Mary Ann (67, from Neat? in Cornwall) and their children Maria (38), John (35, a shipwright), and Adelaide (24) and Emma (19), both shipwright's outfitters. All these children were born at Devonport.

The trouble is that I can't find the origins for these Honeys either! The 1851 census has them in Devenport with additional children Thomas (then 22, a pawnbroker), William (then 20, a plumber) and James (then 10, a scholar), and the 1841 census has them at Queen Street with further children Elizabeth (then 20), John (then 15), and Richard (then 9).

I can't find baptisms for any of these children!

To summarise, I'm looking for:

Thomas Honey in the 1841 census
Potential baptisms for Thomas Honey (The only one I have found is of Whitstone in 1810, but this guy lived 'til 1895)
Potential baptisms for "Uncle" John Honey

Over to you experts...!
Kirkburton Bray Morton Charlesworth Kay Swallow Moorhouse Walker Mathewman
Penistone Micklethwaite
Liverpool Moore Durning
Formby Crookham Birchall Dobb Fleetwood
Childwall Fleetwood Knowles Ireland
Kendal Coulton Derome
Essex Cooper Robinson
Warrington Bleasdale Atherton
Suffolk Death
Lewes Spurgeon Horton
East Lothian Paxton Durkie
Edinburgh Blaikie Rollock Livingstone
Chirnside Paxton
Kilbarron Young Donohue Stapleton Meagher Fogarty Gleeson Meara Nevin
Kilsheelan Hennessy
Galway Nevin

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Origins of Ellen Margaretta Honey (b. April 1845, Devenport)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 October 14 12:52 BST (UK) »
1861 census (transcribed as Soney!):
Class: RG 9; Piece: 1451; Folio: 75; Page: 8
44 Queen Street, Stoke Damarel, Devonport, Devon

Details as you said:
By this time, Ellen was living with her "Uncle" John Honey, aged 75 and of Buckland in Devon at Queen Street, Morice in Devenport. Was John her Uncle? Her Great Uncle? Her Grandfather? It's hard to tell. John lived with his wife Mary Ann (67, from Neat? in Cornwall) and their children Maria (38), John (35, a shipwright), and Adelaide (24) and Emma (19), both shipwright's outfitters. All these children were born at Devonport.

1871 census:
Class: RG10; Piece: 2133; Folio: 59; Page: 44
39 Queen Street, Stoke Damarel

Honey, James  Head  M  30  Pawnbroker
Honey, Louisa  Wife  F  28
Honey, Louisa H  Daughter  F  3
Honey, Amy H  Daughter  F  2
Honey, Florence  Daughter  F  7 months
Honey, Ellen  Cousin  F  26  Pawnbrokers Assistant            all born Devonport
+ 2 servants
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 October 14 13:07 BST (UK) »
Thomas Honey (a carpenter in the navy) and his wife Margarette Spargo. They had married in late 1841 in Totnes.

Are you sure about this marriage date?  I wonder what the source is.  In Dec qtr 1841 I can see a Thomas Honey marriage in Totnes, but others on the page are Jane Blumpey, John Bolt and Ann Gilbert, according to FreeBMD.

On the other hand I see a 26 August 1830 marriage at St Andrew Plymouth between:

Thomas Honey of His Majesty's Ship Caledonia, and
Margaret Spargo of this parish.

After banns.  Bride & groom signed.

Witnesses: John Honey (made his mark); James Boulter (signed).
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 October 14 13:11 BST (UK) »
Very few parish registers from Devon are online, so finding the baptisms is going to be difficult?

Try:
Devon Heritage Services http://www.devon.gov.uk/parish_register_list

or FindMyPast?
http://www.findmypast.co.uk/articles/world-records/search-all-uk-records/birth-marriage-death--and-parish-records/births-and-baptisms/parish-baptisms-1538-2005

or FamilySearch?
www.familysearch.org
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 October 14 13:26 BST (UK) »
This I think is the first child:

Thomas Spargo Honey (1831): https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NYTM-HCM

After his nonconformist baptism he was baptised in the C of E at Stoke Damerel on 18 December 1831, as Thomas Honey.  Parents: Thomas (mariner) and Margaret, of Devonport.

Sadly he was buried there on 26 Feb 1832, aged 6 months.

They went on to have another Thomas, born 4 Feb 1838 and baptised 8 July 1838 at Stoke Damerel. Parents: Thomas (mariner) and Margaret, of Devonport.
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 October 14 13:31 BST (UK) »
Good Morning.
I hope I can help.So firstly they didn't marry in Totnes in 1841(pity as their marriage cert would give fathers names) or if they did it was a remarriage of their first wedding in St Andrews Plymouth 26.8.1830.
Thomas Honey of his majesty's ship Caledonia and Margaret Spargo of this parish witness John Honey and James Boulter.
At the same parish in 19.11.1820 a John Honey marries a Mary Ann Spargo ,the couple you have already found on the 1861 censuswith Ellen Margaretta Honey.

It looks like Mary Ann and Margaret Spargo were sisters both born in St Neots Cornwall daughters of John and Mary Spargo.Baptised Mary Ann 30.12.1798 and Peggy 20.9.1807 at St Neots.
Other siblings Jenifer 24.6.1793,John 27.9.1795,Nicholas 8.2.1801,Elizabeth 25.12.1802,James 9.2.1806,William 14.1.1810 and Eliza 28.6.1812.

The Honey's are Wesleyan Methodists and seem to be baptising there children at the Morrice St Weslyan chapel Devonport and it's predecessor the Princes St Independent Chapel.
Thomas and Margret's eldest child Thomas Spargo  born 4.9.1831 is baptised at Morrice St 2.11.1831.
There is a John Honey 11.11.1785 s of Richard and Mary Honey but this John Honey seems to be on the censuses ,so not yours.
However in theory brothers  Thomas and John Honey come from the parishes of St Andrews Plymouth and Buckland Monachoram  which  are unfortunately not  online  for the dates you need.The solution is to go to Devon record office which will have the records .Obviously if you don't live in in Devon this could be a problem.
So you could ask someone to go for you or you could try and track down Thomas's Naval records ,which may be on Find My Past which again I don't have a Sub for.There is a Thomas Honey born 1804 in the Navy 1831 you might take a look at.
Will try some more digging and if I find anything get back to you.
Ciderdrinker

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 October 14 13:37 BST (UK) »
There is a burial for Margaret Honey aged 45, of 1 Chapel St, at Stoke Damerel on 13 May 1852 (death was on 8 May).

Her age would fit with the 1807 Cornish baptism of "Peggy" Spargo found by ciderdrinker.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 October 14 13:43 BST (UK) »
Thomas Honey aged 26 born Devonport was a caulker on HMS Caledonia, stationed at Hamoaze, Plymouth, on 1 May 1830.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 09 October 14 13:45 BST (UK) »
Slightly earlier than expected from the naval record (c1803-4 birth), but a Thomas Honey born 6 Sep 1802 was baptised at Stoke Damerel on 1 Dec 1802, son of John & Sarah.