Author Topic: Blackhill Cemetery, Durham MIs  (Read 10815 times)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Blackhill Cemetery, Durham MIs
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 11 February 15 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Catherine, welcome to Rootschat

I've sent a message to pb3, so it's possible he might be along to help, if he can.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pb3

• RootsChat Member
  • 'Always look on the bright side...'
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 17 February 15 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Catherine

I've attached a PDF of all of the Conroy Burial Records between 1862 and 1962. You don't give any dates for the burials for which you are searching; I assume, from the Christian names you gave, that the appropriate record numbers would be 18113 and 26285 each of which shows a burial in plot 442, Section 16. I've transcribed all of the headstones in Section 16 and there is, unfortunately, no extant headstone on this plot. My Grandparents' headstone, which is in the same section, has also virtually vanished due to the depredations of weathering and mechanised grass cutting. The numbers shown in square brackets in the remarks column are the sequential numbers in the original Burial Register kept by Derwentside Council; if you quote these they can easily find, locate, and mark the appropriate plot.

I've also attached a JPEG showing the layout of the north graveyard if you wish to visit it. It is taken from the information board on the wall at the Durham Road entrance to the graveyard. There used to be a pedestrian entrance at the north end of Section 19. This would tie in with your grandmother's recollection. However, Derwentside Council (as was) totally renewed this fence several years ago and, in their wisdom, decided not to re-instate this pedestrian access, so the only access now is from the Durham Road end.

Good luck with your researches.

PatB.

Offline alisonbcd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 18 February 15 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Would you happen to have an MI for William Featherstonhaugh or his wife Mary Lisle Featherstonhaugh nee Sisson at Blackhill cemetery please. William died 1912 and Mary died 1884.

Thank you in advance.
Featherstonhaugh; Doran; Murray; Gray

Offline pb3

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 19 February 15 12:12 GMT (UK) »
alisonbcd

Ive attached a PDF of relevant(?) records from Blackhill cemetery. William appears to be there but there is no sign of Mary.

I don't have access to the burial records of Edmundbyers - which is the only other place locally to show evidence of the surname - but there are some references on memorials; again no reference to Mary.

PatB.

Offline alisonbcd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 20 February 15 13:13 GMT (UK) »
This is wonderful, many thanks. I never knew he was buried there.

Offline alisonbcd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 21 February 15 16:20 GMT (UK) »
A question for you Pb3. What does the heading after the section and grave mean,  Cons./ Uncons.

Alison

Offline pb3

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 21 February 15 21:03 GMT (UK) »
alisonbcd

The default position in these records is that Anglican burials are marked as (c)consecrated and other denominations are marked as (u)unconsecrated. This does not mean that these were burials in unconsecrated ground since the Ministers of other denominations performed the consecrations as and when they performed the burial rites.

You could take the c/u marking as being a rough and ready way of identifying Anglican and non Anglican burials. My lot(Roman Catholics) are all identified as 'u', but they were all buried in consecrated ground.

PatB.

Offline alisonbcd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 21 February 15 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Interesting. Thanks PatB.

Alison

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 28 February 15 08:43 GMT (UK) »
Pat, thank you for responding to my message about Catherine Barron's request.
Unfortunately she hasn't visited Rootschat since the day she registered, but hopefully will do so soon and make her own response.
Thanks again.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk