Author Topic: Shaw of Balmaclellan  (Read 21536 times)

Offline bigt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Shaw of Balmaclellan
« on: Thursday 09 October 14 17:09 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am trying to trace a William Shaw, of Park Robin ( now Low Park), who may, or may not have married a Catherine Lorimer of Summerhill, Balmaclellan in 1836 at Balmaclellan.  I say may or may not have married as the OPR entry does not say "and were married".  I believe William was the son of William Shaw and Margaret Ireland, and born c1812.  Catherine, born 1816  is the daughter of Edward Lorimer and Catherine Dalziel.  Her sister Sarah Lorimer married a William Shaw, son of Alexander Shaw and Mary Murray.

Catherine and Sarah are my 4x great aunts.

I have tried to find William and Catherine, but cannot seem to find them.

Thanks

Tom

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Shaw of Balmaclellan
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 October 14 18:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom

The 1836 ref, is this from an OPR? Could it be the Banns to marriage entry rather than the actual marriage?

Why do you think that William who married Catherine is different to the William who married Sarah, her sister? If Catherine died pre 1841, it may be that William went on to marry her sister and shows with her and young children (and mother in law) in 1851 possibly.

There are three possible entries for a William Shaw with different parents all in Balmaclennan:

William chr. 1804 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XYM6-VYF who married Sarah. Likely mother Mary Shaw showing with him in 1841.

William chr. 1811 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XYM6-2S4 who you think married (maybe) Catherine.

Willliam chr.1811 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XYM6-2S4

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 October 14 18:48 BST (UK) »
The three William Shaw marriages (or banns) entries showing on the OPRs, all in Balmaclennan:

William and Catherine 1836 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTR9-96V

William and Sarah 1842 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTR9-9XD

William John and Henrietta https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTR9-962 ....do you know what the names of this William John Shaw's parents were? He shows as born c. 1811 in Balmaclennan in censuses.

Tom, I know you have all of this  ;) - just trying to add a bit of background of info to the posts.

Monica

Offline bigt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 October 14 19:13 BST (UK) »
Sarah Lorimer married William Shaw of High Park, Balmaclellan. He was born 1805, and the son of Alexander Shaw and Mary Murray.  He died in 1878 at High Park, Sarah in 1893.

There was a William, born 1811 to William Shaw and Margaret Ireland. I believe he died in 1811 as William and Margaret had another son William, born 1812.  In 1841 William and Margaret are at Park Robin, Balmaclellan, along with 3 other children.

The William Shaw that married Henrietta Shaw was the son of John Shaw and Janet Wilson.  He died in 1866 at Craigend, Balmaclellan.  The John must have been added after his birth, I assume.

The OPR entry I have (copy from scotlandspeople) states

Shaw: William Shaw in Park Robin and Catherine Lorimer in Summerhill gave in their names for proclamation. 10th Nov 1836.

I understand there is the possibility either one or both died prior to 1855.  I have not requested anyone to check the MI's for Balmaclellan or Kells.  I know William and Sarah are buried in Kells.

Tom

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 October 14 19:27 BST (UK) »

The OPR entry I have (copy from scotlandspeople) states

Shaw: William Shaw in Park Robin and Catherine Lorimer in Summerhill gave in their names for proclamation. 10th Nov 1836.

Thanks Tom for the additional info  :) That certainly reads like a Banns entry in the OPRs rather than the actual marriage entry I would say. Often happens (if you are lucky to find any reference at all to a marriage for a couple) that what you find is actually one of the Banns readings rather than the marriage entry.

You have no reason to think that the marriage did not go ahead really...but no proof either that it did.

I don't know if you have any firm details at this stage to confirm who the William Shaw who married Catherine was. The fact that Catherine's sister, Sarah, also married a William Shaw, whose parents you have confirmed, would make me think that the Williams for both may have been the same man....but how to prove that  :-\ Can't see a death in the OPRs for Catherine so far.

Monica

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 October 14 19:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom

I'm sure my 3x grt grandfather mentioned Shaw of Park Robin in his various letters to his brother in Canada.

I'll dig them out and get back to you  :)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 October 14 19:34 BST (UK) »
That sounds interesting Gadget! Wait to hear further...

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 October 14 19:43 BST (UK) »

The William Shaw that married Henrietta Shaw was the son of John Shaw and Janet Wilson.  He died in 1866 at Craigend, Balmaclellan.  The John must have been added after his birth, I assume.

Some researchers have Henrietta Shaw also as the daughter of Alexander Shaw and Mary Murray (parents of the William who married Sarah Lorimer from what you have).

Her entry https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XBYJ-QS7 from 1811. Should be easy enough to confirm, given her likely death year, on SP.

Monica

Offline bigt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 09 October 14 20:34 BST (UK) »
I initially thought it was the same William and something happened to Catherine.  However, there is one family of Shaw at Park Robin and another at High Park.  By 1841, at High Park, William, born 1805 is head of house, as is his mother Mary (Murray), which makes me think it is 2 William's.

I then thought, for some reason, perhaps William and Catherine moved out of the area.  I've checked Scotlandspeople, Ancestry and Findmypast but cannot find them.

To add to all this my 2x great grandfather William Shaw, believed born c1810, and believed from Kells is my brick wall along with his wife Margaret Watt.  I have their parents names (from death entries), but cannot find anything, and now have the suspicion that the parents names may be wrong.

This is why I have a keen interest in all this in Balmaclellan.  my 2x great grandfather William had several children which include the names Sarah, Alexander and Robert.  On this weak point, it makes me think there is a connection somewhere, between my 2x great grandfather and the Shaws of Balmaclellan.

They joys of genealogy  :)