Author Topic: Shaw of Balmaclellan  (Read 21537 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Shaw of Balmaclellan
« Reply #27 on: Friday 10 October 14 17:26 BST (UK) »
Wow, Gadget...typing and gorgeous piccies! Full set  ;D

Re Canada and this line of Shaws... struggling so far to see the shipping manifest details for the family. Can't see them really in England/Scotland for 1851 so would guess they may have left the UK after Catherine's death in 1845?

Struggling a bit so far to pick them up in potentially Canada as location...expect there is an Edward Shaw, a farmer, who married a Mary Affleck in 1870 in Colchester, Ontario, with parents William and Catherine Shaw, no maiden name for mother. His age reflects an 1844 birth and England (or a couple of times Scotland) is showing for his birth. Maybe his death would help. Ontario have great BMD records normally.

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 10 October 14 17:36 BST (UK) »
Yep, Edward is certainly William and Catherine's son. He died on 8 Dec 1908. Snip below from his death entry with parents' details:

Added: this is 1881 census for them in Colchester, Ontario. Childrens's names look to be Edward John Wiliam Shaw and Alexander Forest Shaw.  https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MVDT-6L4 - wife Mary must have been out and about!

Offline bigt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 11 October 14 13:44 BST (UK) »
William seems to be in Colchester, Essex County, Canada West (Ontario) in 1851 Census for West Canada.  Occupation given as farmer.

Wife is Agnes, with children, Edward (8 yrs), Barbara (6), Mary (3) and William J (1)

Barbara, Mary and William J. are down as being born in Upper Canada, where ever that is?
There are 4 possible children older than Edward but not mentioned.

So I assume the family emigrated around 1845.

I visited Balmaclellan churchyard last Sunday to have a look round, on the way home from Gatehouse of Fleet.  Where was the only place where it was raining on the way home?  Balmclellan.

I visited Kells churchyard many moons ago when I started all this, to look for Shaw  There were a lot.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 11 October 14 14:25 BST (UK) »
Saw that, wondered too about the older children born in England before Edward's birth.

Re Upper Canada and defintion of that for 1851:

The 1851 census includes the areas of New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Canada East (Lower Canada, or roughly Quebec), and Canada West (Upper Canada, or roughly Ontario).

Ontario fits well with what we are seeing later. Full text here http://search.ancestry.ca/search/db.aspx?dbid=1061

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline bigt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 20 October 14 11:24 BST (UK) »
I now know why everything should be double checked.  Re MI's from Kells, William Shaw died 25.09.1851 in Canada.  Found him in the 1851 Census for Canada, trouble is, it was not taken till 1852.  Also Catherine Lorimer, his wife, according to another inscription, died High Wycombe 21.07.1844.  According to the Indexes, the death was not registered until  Sept qtr.1845.

William's death yet to be found.

Offline Muzzashaw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 21 October 14 05:07 BST (UK) »
Hi 2 Familys of Balmacllan Shaws in 1792 census Both have Willams Barnshalloch Aged 10
Arnmacannie Farm aged 18 Census gathered by Rev James Thomson
John Shaw  49 was The head of The Ironmacannie Farm Married to A Mary Shaw Mary not in Census
Murray Shaw

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 21 October 14 08:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Murray and Welcome  :)

I think there were more than two Shaws on the 1792 Census - I listed them earlier:

From the 1792 Balmaclellan census - limited but of some use:

No Shaws at any of the Parkrobin farms (9 in all)

Barnshalloch, Farm 2
Samuel Shaw, 42
Janet Gibson, 30 (prob. his wife - all spouses seemed to be listed by mn)
William Shaw, 10
Samuel Shaw, 6
Ann Smith, 60

Arnmacannie Farm 1
John Shaw, 49
Janet haining, 35
David Shaw, 22
Barbara Shaw, 20
William Shaw, 18
James Shaw, 16
Mary Shaw, 14
John Shaw, 12
Margaret Shaw, 2

It looks very likely that Mary Shaw died and John married a Janet Haining - big gap between son,John, aged 12 and daughter, Margaret, aged 2.

How are you related?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Muzzashaw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 22 October 14 03:51 BST (UK) »
Hi I descend from John 12 at Ironmacannie who married Janet Wilson then William Craigend who married Henrietta Shaw from Highpark then Robert MBC Married Margaret Kellock William Alexander
Married Janet Bell My dad Robert born 1898 Married Margaret Keighley in Hastings New Zealand
I have tried to trace the John Shaw Married to Mary Shaw Ironmacannie no luck his dad was a David Shaw following The naming coventions Marys mum Barbara  ???

Murray William Shaw Mangawhai New Zealand