Author Topic: Clogh, Castlecomer , Parish Records.  (Read 6286 times)

Offline MBR1965

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Clogh, Castlecomer , Parish Records.
« on: Friday 10 October 14 23:04 BST (UK) »
Does anybody know if all the Parish records from Clogh have been transcribed online or are there still decades missing and only available at local Parish Offices or other places  ?

I ask because I have been able to trace all my family of Brennans who were all born in Clogh and lived there from 1800 onwards through Rothe House records but only since official registration in 1864.

For example, I have the marriage certificate of my great-great grandfather Abin Brennan who married Mary Kelly in 1867 at Gazebo in Moontheen, Clogh showing he was born in 1836 and from that certificate know his father was Michael Brennan and also a collier so must have lived in the area as that is where all the deep shaft mines were. However I can find no church records relating to the family before 1867 most notably no baptism certificate for Abin.

There seem to be a lot of gaps in the years before that, I appreciate they will not go back to the 16th ventury but I thought they would go back before about 1860, not birth registration obviously but certainly church baptisms and marriages.

Does anybody have any thoughts or ideas on the subject as to why so much is missing  ? Would they have the original record (if it exists) somewhere in Clogh Parish, Kilkenny or even Dublin ?

Thanks

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Clogh, Castlecomer , Parish Records.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 October 14 23:39 BST (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01bhl/

Some info on this link about Clogh parish records

Offline MBR1965

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 October 14 21:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that , it's not clear though - what do they mean by "excluding originals in local custody"

1) That the originals (quite obviously ) are not available to see ?

2) There are some parish records not yet released to be transcribed online by local parishes or churches ?

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 October 14 22:04 BST (UK) »
I presume "local custody" means with the Parish Priest. 

Offline MBR1965

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 October 14 12:07 GMT (UK) »
I presume "local custody" means with the Parish Priest.

For sure you're right and it does mean that but does it also mean , not transcribed and placed online yet or does it mean examined transcribed put online and returned to the Parish for safekeeping  ? I hope it's the first option  ;D

Rothe House seems to have quite detailed records post 1840 for births etc for Clogh parish but very little before 1840 which makes me fear the originals were not kept or have been lost. Can't think of any reason why they would begin transcription after 1840.

The problem I have is that I know my Great Great Great Grandfather was also called Michael Brennan and that he was a collier in the 1830s as it's written on his son Abin's marriage certificate in 1867 at the Gazebo Church & their residence is listed as being Moontheen. I know the Gazebo church has been pulled down and replaced by another over the road called The Church Of The Cross or something like that (not St Patricks in Clogh)

Unless I can find Abin's baptism certificate (1836 according to the age declared on his 1867 marriage) then I can't even begin to piece the family together - what I am obviously missing is the full name of his mother ! If I had that, I could begin to track his brothers and sisters.

I have tried tracing a Michael Brennan marriage in the Clogh area for the period 1819-1839 and only one result has come up (1831 ) - marriage to a Mary Browne but I can't believe there was only one Michael Brennan in Castlecomer who got married over a 20 year period - the town is riddled with them as you well know !  :D

Offline Peterf9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 May 15 19:05 BST (UK) »
Hi ,  There are certainly plenty of Brennans marrying or sponsors of Clancy baptisms in Crutt , a townland near Clogh. There is some connection to Muckalee. As to the records. I was there last week and it is a frustrating exercise. The Parish Office holds transcriptions which you have to use before you are allowed to view the registers which are in the church. However the transcriptions are not always accurate. Browsing of the originals is not encouraged! Having said all that you might find contacting Catherine at the Parish Office helpful as she controls the transcriptions. The priest would only pass you on to her. Hope this helps
Peter

Offline MBR1965

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 May 15 19:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks Peter. I have found out some more info since my last post. My Great Great Grandfather , Abin and his wife, were both buried in Kilgorey burial ground so that would probably place their birth in Doonane meaning County Laois.

Offline Peterf9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 May 15 19:58 BST (UK) »
Yep ,
- but Doonane Parish is only just up the road despite being in Laiose.
Good luck

Offline MBR1965

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 May 15 20:02 BST (UK) »
Very true - only a mile or two over the border I believe but the Baptism records for that parish go back to 1811 and the Priest arranges for baptism certificates to be made out if they can be found in the book, sounds a little less complicated than Clogh Parish  - I have my fingers crossed and will go over to see in June. :)