Author Topic: First wife of William FORDE from Derrygooney  (Read 9306 times)

Offline powerwicklow

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: First wife of William FORDE from Derrygooney
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 18 February 16 12:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi ctrunfree.

I am presuming you are a descendant of George Forde and Mary Jane Moore. I would descend from George's brother Samuel who married Hannah Orr from Gartnaneane , Co Cavan.

John
Webster , Parker and Smith in Wicklow. Power , Lewis and Livingstone in Carlow and Wexford. Forde in Monaghan . Orr in Cavan.

Offline ctrunfree

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 18 February 16 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi ctrunfree.

I am presuming you are a descendant of George Forde and Mary Jane Moore. I would descend from George's brother Samuel who married Hannah Orr from Gartnaneane , Co Cavan.

John
Hi (cousin) John!

Lovely to hear from you.  Yes, I am a descendant of George and Mary Jane through their son Samuel (1872-1952) who married Lizzie Montgomery.  We have found the Irish side of the family to be very hard going, particularly from this distance (I live in Melbourne Australia).  Any additional information you might have about the Fordes and their relations would be very much appreciated.  I'll message you with my email details. 
Regard Anney
NEAL, TAYLOR, WRIGHT, BIDWELL, PRICE, YEARDLEY, RODGERS, HANDLEY, ELLIS, LOWE, HOUGH, ANNABLE, DAWSON, SANDERSON, PARKIN

Offline powerwicklow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 19 February 16 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anney.

Good to hear from you and I got your PM. I had left this side of the family to one side as there are so many Fordes to sort out in the area but am getting stuck into it at the moment. I found a death cert for a William Forde that died at Derrygooney 23 Dec 1877 that I have presumed would be the father of our Samuel and George. Aged 82 on the death cert that would leave him born 1796. I have the marriage cert for a William Forde Derrygooney to a Sarah McEveigh, 12 Jan 1853 at Corlea. He was a Widower. I hadnt though that he might be our William on a second marriage. Myself like others researching the family would have him married to an Elizabeth passing away at Derrygooney 7 Oct 1880 a widow. I will have a look a bit more at what i have and get back.

John
Webster , Parker and Smith in Wicklow. Power , Lewis and Livingstone in Carlow and Wexford. Forde in Monaghan . Orr in Cavan.

Offline ctrunfree

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 20 February 16 00:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi again John

We've sent you a more detailed email, but in short we have always thought that our William FORDE (1782-1868) was the one who married Sarah.  However, as you say these FORDE's are difficult to pin down!
NEAL, TAYLOR, WRIGHT, BIDWELL, PRICE, YEARDLEY, RODGERS, HANDLEY, ELLIS, LOWE, HOUGH, ANNABLE, DAWSON, SANDERSON, PARKIN

Offline ctrunfree

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 10 August 23 06:37 BST (UK) »
Hi folks

Coming back to this after a break of seven years, we're still trying to find out who was the father of George FORDE (1825-1895) of Derrygooney Co Monaghan.  It was William FORDE on his MC, but was it William FORDE (1782-1868) also of Derrygooney, and if so who was his mother?  It appears William FORDE married Sarah McEVEIGH in 1853 at Corlea Church, but he was a widower by then.  And if that is our William was his father George FORDE (b 1757)?  I'm wondering if the intervening time has produced a bit more information about the Protestant families in the Monaghan area.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 10 August 23 08:38 BST (UK) »
One possibility to consider, from Diocesan and Prerogative Marriage Licence Bonds index, is an 1819 marriage in Clogher Diocese between a William Forde and a Margaret Henderson. Unfortunately, though, it does not indicate which townland/s they were from.

You have perhaps already checked, but does mention of the names of his brothers-in-law in George's 1895 will help tie him to siblings that might in turn tie him to a particular set of parents? Available on PRONI website, where he is indexed as Forde alias Foorde:

Letters of Administration (with the Will) of the personal estate of George Forde late of Derrygooney County Monaghan Farmer who died 20 April 1895 were granted at Armagh to Mary Jane Forde of Derrygooney Widow the Universal Legatee during viduity.

A modern headstone in memory of George, Mary & family:

https://www.rootschat.com/links/01sku/
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline ctrunfree

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 10 August 23 09:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that.  Unfortunately PRONI remains a bit of a mystery to me.  What do I put in the catalogue search to come up with the record you cited?

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 10 August 23 09:23 BST (UK) »
Direct link to Wills Calendar search page at PRONI:

https://apps.proni.gov.uk/WillsCalendar_IE/WillsSearch.aspx

and marriage bonds index at NAI:

http://census.nationalarchives.ie/search/dm/home.jsp
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline ctrunfree

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 11 August 23 02:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that,  The will was interesting- he left it quite late!  Couldn't find anything in the marriage indexes.

I've actually stood next to that headstone.  Perhaps the mother was Elizabeth (although that could have equally well been the wife's mother).