Author Topic: George Chambers about 1796, Wragby  (Read 2273 times)

Offline Glen in Tinsel Kni

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
    • My Birth Family Tree
Re: George Chambers about 1796, Wragby
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 19 November 17 10:51 GMT (UK) »
You must be pulling out a lot that I'm missing. I have a few news articles relating to my grt grandfather George Chambers (1842-1901) and his b-i-l George Graby, mostly surrounding their poaching antics though the article detailing how George took his own life is also amongst them.

I have a tribal pages site and some family photos on Flickr, if you would like an invite to the TP site send me your email address in a private message.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/albums/72157623982423279

Always looking for the Goulson surname in the UK, Europe and USA.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Piglet 88

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 24 November 17 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Charlotte Chambers - born 11 June 1848, to John and Anne Chambers, baptised at St. Nicholas, Lincoln.  Charlotte had a rocky life, she had two children before meeting he husband, George Andrew Bescoby, who she married on 5 February 1872.
George Bescoby appears in several newspaper articles. One of them is taken from
LINCOLNSHIRE CHRONICLE  25 December 1868
'......George Bescoby, a well known thief....'
They both appear in the following newspaper -
LINCOLNSHIRE CHRONICLE    14 June 1878    page 6   
BRACEBRIDGE  -  Geo. Andrew Bescoby was sent down to prison for one month without the option of a fine, for assaulting his wife, Charlotte Bescoby. Defendant said in Court that when he came out of prison he would kill his wife, if he went to the gallows for it.
George went to prison, then died soon after his release.
The widow Charlotte then appears three more times -
16 January 1880  -  assaulting Emma Foster
24 July 1896  -  assaulting Elizabeth Bellamy  ( a neighbour, over a wash tub )
7 October 1904  -  hit a hawker on the head with a bottle of stout. The argument was about a rabbit the hawker had sold to Charlotte.

Charlotte died in 1923, at the age of 73.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Glen in Tinsel Kni

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
    • My Birth Family Tree
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 26 November 17 21:28 GMT (UK) »
She was a nightmare to trace in the census, the youngest of the children to John and Ann from what I can tell.  Buried at Canwick Road, Grave reference   K/451

I haven't been able to trace John back at all but the two census returns he appears on don't give much away. It appears that Ann had 3 children before she married though the last one (Elizabeth) was not that long before the marriage.
Always looking for the Goulson surname in the UK, Europe and USA.