Author Topic: George Chambers about 1796, Wragby  (Read 5756 times)

Offline Glen in Tinsel Kni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
Re: George Chambers about 1796, Wragby
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 19 November 17 10:51 GMT (UK) »
You must be pulling out a lot that I'm missing. I have a few news articles relating to my grt grandfather George Chambers (1842-1901) and his b-i-l George Graby, mostly surrounding their poaching antics though the article detailing how George took his own life is also amongst them.

I have a tribal pages site and some family photos on Flickr, if you would like an invite to the TP site send me your email address in a private message.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/albums/72157623982423279

Offline Piglet 88

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 24 November 17 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Charlotte Chambers - born 11 June 1848, to John and Anne Chambers, baptised at St. Nicholas, Lincoln.  Charlotte had a rocky life, she had two children before meeting he husband, George Andrew Bescoby, who she married on 5 February 1872.
George Bescoby appears in several newspaper articles. One of them is taken from
LINCOLNSHIRE CHRONICLE  25 December 1868
'......George Bescoby, a well known thief....'
They both appear in the following newspaper -
LINCOLNSHIRE CHRONICLE    14 June 1878    page 6   
BRACEBRIDGE  -  Geo. Andrew Bescoby was sent down to prison for one month without the option of a fine, for assaulting his wife, Charlotte Bescoby. Defendant said in Court that when he came out of prison he would kill his wife, if he went to the gallows for it.
George went to prison, then died soon after his release.
The widow Charlotte then appears three more times -
16 January 1880  -  assaulting Emma Foster
24 July 1896  -  assaulting Elizabeth Bellamy  ( a neighbour, over a wash tub )
7 October 1904  -  hit a hawker on the head with a bottle of stout. The argument was about a rabbit the hawker had sold to Charlotte.

Charlotte died in 1923, at the age of 73.

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 26 November 17 21:28 GMT (UK) »
She was a nightmare to trace in the census, the youngest of the children to John and Ann from what I can tell.  Buried at Canwick Road, Grave reference   K/451

I haven't been able to trace John back at all but the two census returns he appears on don't give much away. It appears that Ann had 3 children before she married though the last one (Elizabeth) was not that long before the marriage.

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 10 January 20 06:55 GMT (UK) »
Charlotte had a grand daughter Louisa (b1910), she married Arthur Henry Chambers 5/10/1935 at St Faith's (they were neighbours in Newland St West on the m/c).

Arthur Henry (b1914) >> Fred Chambers(b1877)>>James Grandfield Chambers (1848)>>Henry William Chambers (1822)>>George Chambers (1796)

George 1796 married Sophia Espin who was convicted of receiving stolen birds in 1841, she gave birth to a son Uriah John Chambers in the Kirton House of Correction and both of them appear in the 1841 census there.

Uriah John did the trip to Sheffield with the family, appears to have married in the 1860's and there is a death of a Uriah John aged 34 in 1874 at Durham.

Offline Big Dave R

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 23 May 20 19:14 BST (UK) »
I must admit to not visiting this forum for several months at least, but this caught my eye as George Chambers is my wife's 3 x Great Grandfather.  My tree had his mother as Frances (surname unknown).
Checking why, I see it was from Ancestry births & christenings (which they got from FamilySearch I assume).  The names match, but without dates & places then seems I probably took a wrong turn here. Probably one of those entries which have been in the tree for some time but have never followed up.  I shall read the remainder of this page with interest now !

Offline Big Dave R

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 23 May 20 19:42 BST (UK) »
Now I've had chance to have a look, I can see on Lincolnshire Baptisms it has mother as Frances or Elizabeth Chambers although the image looks clearly to be Elizabeth so I guess that's where I picked up Frances but not clear how it was transcribed thus.
Talking to my sister-in law, her father ( son of Kate Chambers  who was d of William Henry who was s of George Thomas) there was always a family story about someone being tried for manslaughter.  I don't know if that links into the suspicions around George and the Saxilby murder or not.

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 01 June 20 15:05 BST (UK) »
The name George Chambers is a bit of a nightmare, I think I have around a dozen or so that I keep looking at from time to time and a few more that I haven't bothered with for a long time.

Chambers, George (1796 - 1881)

Chambers, George (1842 - 1901)

Chambers, George (1861 - 1861)

Chambers, George (1870 - 1874)

Chambers, George (1917 - 1917)

Chambers, George Edward (b.1860)

Chambers, George Edward (1886 - 1892)

Chambers, George Graby (1896 - 1897)

Chambers, George Henry (1868 - 1932)

Chambers, George Henry (1908 - 1909)

Chambers, George Robert (b.1884)

Chambers, George Thomas (b.1829)

Chambers, George William (1875 - 1941)

Chambers, George William (b.1885)

Chambers, George William (b.1905)

Chambers, George William (b.1908)

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 01 June 20 15:11 BST (UK) »

Talking to my sister-in law, her father ( son of Kate Chambers  who was d of William Henry who was s of George Thomas) there was always a family story about someone being tried for manslaughter.  I don't know if that links into the suspicions around George and the Saxilby murder or not.

I have those names as listed down to Kate though nothing for her beyond baptism details, 30 Dec 1888, St Mark`s, Lincoln.

Edit to say I've just found the original marriage register on findmypast. I may go missing in the bmd for a day or two now  ;D