Author Topic: George Chambers about 1796, Wragby  (Read 5757 times)

Offline Glen in Tinsel Kni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
George Chambers about 1796, Wragby
« on: Saturday 11 October 14 13:51 BST (UK) »
I have the following children born Wragby area to Henry Chambers and Elizabeth Raby

Susannah Harwood Chambers b: 1794 in Wragby, Lincolnshire, England
Henry Chambers b: 1798 in Wragby, Lincolnshire, England
Robin Chambers b: 1799 in Wragby, Lincolnshire, England
Rebecca Chambers b: 1804 in Wragby, Lincolnshire, England
Thomas Chambers b: 1807 in Wragby, Lincolnshire, England

I also have a George Chambers b.1796, allegedly to the same couple but can't find a baptism. There is one for the right timeframe giving parents as Henry Chambers and Frances.

George married Sophia Espin in 1822, From freereg I found the marriage notes, witnesses are a James  and Henry. This would support his parents as being Henry and Elizabeth and if true James would be a brother in law, Henry could be his brother or father.

County   Lincolnshire
Place   Wragby
Church   All Saints
RegisterNumber   33
MarriageDate   11 Feb 1822
GroomForename   George
GroomSurname   CHAMBERS
GroomParish   Wragby
GroomCondition   Bachelor
BrideForename   Sophia
BrideSurname   ESPIN
BrideCondition   Spinster

WitnessOneForename   James
WitnessOneSurname   HARARTY
WitnessTwoForename   Henry
WitnessTwoSurname   CHAMBERS
Notes   Groom signed X. Bride signed X.
FileNumber   1403

I just can't find a baptism proving his parentage although the census returns consistently show 1796-7 and Wragby for his birth.

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: George Chambers about 1796, Wragby
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 October 14 15:15 BST (UK) »
Hi

Have a look on Lincstothepast, Wragby registers are on there, including George's baptism. Most of the family give Elizabeths maiden name (Raby), bar Georges

Georges entry on 27 January 1796 simply says son of Henry Chambers (ratcatcher) and ?? his wife formerly Elizabeth Chambers.

All of the other childrens entries state father is a ratcatcher, so I think its probably be him.

http://www.lincstothepast.com/Records/RecordDisplayTranscript.aspx?oid=560753&iid=130830

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 October 14 16:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks Claire

Lincstothepast is being a pain for me just now, nothing loading from the results page......again!! :'(

Offline Piglet 88

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 September 17 11:43 BST (UK) »
George Chambers is my 4 x great grandfather. I have recently been helping my father do the family tree and have found a few interesting stories relating to 'Our George'. Did you know about his time stealing fowl, in court, in the lunatic asylum, life on the run, 'a wanted man', accused of murder or his time on prison hulks......? He sounds a very 'interesting' person.

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 September 17 21:43 BST (UK) »
George Chambers is my 4 x great grandfather. I have recently been helping my father do the family tree and have found a few interesting stories relating to 'Our George'. Did you know about his time stealing fowl, in court, in the lunatic asylum, life on the run, 'a wanted man', accused of murder or his time on prison hulks......? He sounds a very 'interesting' person.

I know Sophia (nee Espin) had a little spell in court for handling stolen poultry (Lincs Chronicle Jan 22, 1841) and in the 1841 census she appears in the Kirton House of Correction.

The Henry Haggerty marriage witness is brother in law to George (being the husband of Susannah Harwood Chambers). The newspaper marriage announcement quotes George as a Fellow of the Royal Society. I haven't found much else about him though I have chased through a lot of Chambers names from the area as they are my direct line and I'm a direct descendant of George and Sophia.

Offline Piglet 88

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 September 17 14:40 BST (UK) »
Most of our additional information has come from the newspapers, here is the first -

Stamford Mercury    27th November 1840   page 2

FOUR GUINEAS REWARD
WHEREAS GEORGE CHAMBERS, Brickmaker, being supposed to be guilty of a Felony, did leave his home, situate in Good-lane, Newport, in the City of Lincoln, on the morning of Saturday last:- the said George Chambers is about 40 years of age, and is about 5 feet 5 inches in height, has a light complexion, light brown hair and eyes, no whiskers, and turns out his toes in walking : he was dressed as a labouring man when he absconded, and had on a black hat and half boots : whoever will lodge the said George Chambers in any of her Majesty’s Gaols and give notice thereof to me, shall receive the above Reward.
JOHN WILLIAM DANBY, Solicitor to the Drinsey Nook Association for the Prosecution of Felons.

Lincoln, 19th November 1840

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 September 17 15:21 BST (UK) »
I'm assuming a later article mentioning a George Chambers, lunatic, who escaped from the asylum is also connected?

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 September 17 15:30 BST (UK) »
Correction to my earlier reply, I'm descended from Ann Chambers, abt 1798, (sister to George). She married a John Chambers who died in the Union Workhouse 25/11/1852.

Offline Piglet 88

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 24 September 17 18:46 BST (UK) »
Bit more on George -

LINCOLNSHIRE CHRONICLE       27 January 1843      page 3

THE SAXILBY MURDER -
A man named Chambers, whose fimily resides in Lincoln, but who has been out of the way himself for some time past, has been apprehended at Kneesal, Nottinghamshire. About two years ago the premises of the late Mr. John Parker were broken into, and his fowls stolen ; two of the parties were apprehended and transported, but Chambers succeeded in escaping, and has kept out of the way until now.  He will be committed on the charges of fowl stealing, and in the mean time inquiry will be made into the suspicions which attach to him as the murderer of Mr. Parker.
Of course it would not at present be proper to advert to the grounds for such suspicions.

STAMFORD MERCURY      27 January 1843      page 3

THE LATE MURDER -
Last Sunday night, a second attempt was made to break into the house of the murdered person, Mr. Parker, of Ingleby. There can be little doubt, from the satanic determination exercised in the murder, and the subsequent attempts upon the property, that the person or persons concerned live near the spot; and it is confidently believed that, if parties dare speak out, there are several in Saxilby who know to whom the instrument of the dreadful deed belonged; but into such a state of lawlessness have some of the population of Saxilby got, that fears for their own safety compel others to silence : there are 12 or 14 persons who have no means of living but from labour or dishonest courses, and who very seldom work. Last Friday, a man named Chambers was apprehended at Tuxford, and brought to Lincoln : he was implicated in a charge of fowl-stealing from the murdered man two or three years ago, and than escaped; an accomplice names Fieldsend was taken, tried, and transported. The wife of Chambers continued to reside at Lincoln, maintained by her son, who works in the brick-yard of Mr. Foster: it was discovered that Chambers sometimes came home in secret, and the son was apprehended and examined before the Magistrates, but was liberated again, having satisfactorily accounted for his absence from work during the last quarter of the day of the murder. At present there seems no ground for attaching any other charge to the father than that of the fowl-stealing. He was examined on Saturday, and remanded.

I also have his records from his time on Prison Hulks.

Can not be certain if 'George Chambers, Lunatic Asylum' is ours, I need to do more digging -
STAMFORD MERCURY  12 January 1844   page 2
Receipts
To Cash received of Treasurer of Lincoln Lunatic Asylum, balance in hand for maintaining George Chambers, a Lunatic, who escaped.......£ 8   6s   6d