Author Topic: 1891 census  (Read 4045 times)

Offline LouisaS

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1891 census
« on: Saturday 11 October 14 14:58 BST (UK) »
 I have Joseph Stanley, his family Clara wife children William F, Joseph John, Clara and Thomas Stanley.
Children births Cambridge , in the 1891 census.   A lady and her son who's father is Joseph Stanley  lived with the family.  It is the lady and son who I would like to find, if any one could help me please? 
I think they were in St Andrew the less.
Louisa

I have the Stanley family in other census.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: 1891 census
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 October 14 15:10 BST (UK) »
A lady and her son who's father is Joseph Stanley  lived with the family.  It is the lady and son who I would like to find,

What are their names etc?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 October 14 15:14 BST (UK) »
Are you referring to Priscilla Mills aged 44 married and her son Charles Prime aged 14 - both b Cambridge?

As Joseph Stanley was only 30 in 1891 - are you sure he was the father of Charles Prime?
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 October 14 15:19 BST (UK) »
Marriages December qtr 1885   
William Harrison Mills     Cambridge  3b   1066    
Priscilla Prime   

Priscilla was a widow in 1881 with 3 children - inc Charles

In 1871 she is the wife of Charles Prime who only died March qtr 1878 - the same year/qtr that son Charles birth was registered

Offline LouisaS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 October 14 16:08 BST (UK) »
Carol W  thank you very much. Well Carol when Ancestry had a free weekend, that is what it said, son of Joseph Stanley unless there is another Joseph Stanley around.  Maybe  he was a faithfull husband!!
Not  the father to a 14 year old.
Well that sorted it out, well done Carol you found out every thing. She was a widow and  her second marriage. I shall take Ancestry census with a pinch of salt
Louisa

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 October 14 16:29 BST (UK) »
The image, which presumably you saw, shows two families in the house, separated by a single slash to the left of the name. Priscilla Mills is described on the schedule as lodger and Charles Prime as son ie the lodger's son, not the son of Joseph J Stanley, the head of house.

Ancestry has transcribed accurately what the census schedule shows, so you can put your salt pot away! I can and do blame Ancestry for a lot of mistranscriptions, but this isn't one of them. It's your interpretation of what the census shows that's adrift, not Ancestry.

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline LouisaS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 October 14 17:56 BST (UK) »
David when ancestry was free for a weekend  I looked at the census  1891  and others Ancestry said Charles Prime was Joseph Stanley's son. I did see this, thought it must be  in the  genes. I would not have asked otherwise
A few  years ago some one else suggested he was his son

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 October 14 21:14 BST (UK) »
No, Ancestry didn't say  Charles Prime was Joseph Stanley's son. The census itself had "son" against Charles name. My point was that you're unfairly blaming Ancestry for transcribing exactly what's written on the census schedule. The schedule says "son", and that's what's transcribed.

You should look critically at all censuses, as not only can the transcript be wrong (but not in this case where you saw the original scanned copy), but the relationships can be mangled, as in this one, and ages and birthplaces can also be wrong, or the enumerator wrote down what he thought he was told.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 October 14 00:45 BST (UK) »
I don't know whether the actual images were available to you during that free weekend or just the transcriptions.

If you only had access to the transcriptions then Charles Prime is indeed incorrectly shown as son of Joseph & Clara.

I was always under the impression that any relationship shown by an enumerator on an entry should be the relationship of that person to the head of the household - not to others in the household.  As Priscilla is shown as a lodger - her son should also have been shown as a lodger as that was their relationship to Joseph.

Because the enumerator has used "son" against Charles entry - the transcriber has taken it that he was the son of the head of the household hence the confusion.