Author Topic: Powell family Llangattock  (Read 9378 times)

Offline ivorglyn

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Powell family Llangattock
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 25 October 14 13:32 BST (UK) »
Dear Rosie,If Mary's father was Evan then there are 4 possibilities on familysearch for a Mary Lewis born 1812-1816 in Carmarthenshire.I assume you have access for the 1834 marriage between Mary Lewis and Enoch James in Aberystruth with their parents.Out of interest where can you access this record with the details of the parents?Thankyou so much for your continued support regards Ivorglyn.ps On the 1841W census for Lewis Powell and Margaret Vevasor is down as Verion.Both Lewis and Margaret were both born in Llangattock,Breconshire

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 26 October 14 15:05 GMT (UK) »
The information about her father is on her marriage to Edward Richards.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ivorglyn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 26 October 14 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Dear Rosie,There was a marriage in Cilycwm,Carmarthenshire on 19/april/1811 between Evan Lewis(Llandingad) and Mary Edwards in Cilycwm.Looks promising!!!!regards Ivorglyn

Offline ivorglyn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 03 November 14 15:24 GMT (UK) »
Dear Rosie,Thankyou for all your help.As I said about the marriage in Cilycwm on 19/april /1811 between Evan Lewis(Llandingat(d)) and Mary Edwards(Cilycwm).There were 7 children born in Llandingat(d) with parents Evan/Mary..David b.28/may/1813,Elizabeth b. 16/mar/1816,John b.30/jan 1824 ,Martha b.5/june/1811,MARY b.15/june 1814,Rees b.18/aug/1821,Stephen b.15/mar/1816(twin of Elizabeth?).I'm not sure whether the place of birth is LLandingad or Llandingat but Llandingad is very close to Llandovery and Cilycwm is also in the Llandovery region of Carmarthenshire.I've looked for the male children of Evan Lewis/Mary but can't find any b.Llandingad or living there on the 1841W and 1851W censuses.The problem is that many people give Carmarthenshire Wales as their birth place.I think that we have gone as far as possible with Mary Lewis and her relationships. :)I have sent 3 emails to people re Daniel RICHARDS b.~1840 and at least they now probably know his parentage,Again thankyou regards Ivorglyn

Offline Xian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 17 October 22 22:29 BST (UK) »
Hello All

Just to add to the mix….
All the Richards children who lived with Vavasor and Mary are down as step-children.  That implies Mary is their mother.  However, there is a newspaper article who mentions Daniel Richards as “better known as Daniel Stephens” which implies his father’s surname was Stephens, but then where does Richards come from? This is definitely the same man as Daniel is one of my great x 5 grandfathers.

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 18 October 22 13:58 BST (UK) »
It might be an alias. Many at the time used them, especially if they were in trouble.
The Powells were an important traveller tribe in Wales. I have Howell and Powell in my tree and assume Howell was used as an alternative.