Author Topic: Powell family Llangattock  (Read 9396 times)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Powell family Llangattock
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 18 October 14 11:19 BST (UK) »
There is a Mary Evans and an Eleasor(probably Vavasor) Powell in a marriage record for Pontypool in j/a/s 1851.(

Ruling this marriage out
Eleasors father is John (occ Collier)

This looks like him in 1841 Pontypool
John Powell   35
Mary Powell   35
Eleazer Powell   10
Josiah Powell   5
John Powell   2
Hannah Powell   5
Elvira Powell   10
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 18 October 14 11:53 BST (UK) »

Vavassor had a brother Thomas(iron miner) who we think married Ann Winstone in o/n/d 1851 in Abergavenny reg(nb Blaina was in the Abergavenny reg.).

Ann Winstone married William Thomas - Thomas Powell married Elizabeth Edwards  :'(

December qtr 1851 
Edwards    Elizabeth       
Powell    Thomas       
Thomas    William       
Winstone    Ann       

Offline ivorglyn

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 18 October 14 21:16 BST (UK) »
Dear Rosie,Thankyou for eliminating these possibilities.The fact is that Mary who married vavassor Powell is down in all the censuses(after 1851)as being born in Llanwrda,Carmarthenshire in 1814.I checked for all Marys born in Llanwrda between 1813 and 1815 and found 5 possibilities:Mary Christmas b.1814.Mary Damas b.1815,Mary Davies b.1813,Mary Evans b.1814,and Mary James b.1814.Vavasor is on the 1851W census living with his mother and is not married Hence I believe (that is if he did marry)then the marriage is after april 1851 to 1853(the year Dyfrig was born).The only thing now is to get the birth certificate of Dyfrig or Lewis to see if the mother's maiden name is on there.thankyou.kind regards Ivorglyn

Offline ivorglyn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 23 October 14 14:34 BST (UK) »
Dear all,I have found more information for the Mary who married? Vavassor Powell.On the 1841W census living in Cwmcelyn near Blaina are :Edward Stephen 40(probably died 1849 in abergavenny reg),Mary 25,Evan James 7 born mon.,Richard James 4 born mon,Daniel Stephens 1 born mon.I have found a Enoch James who married Mary Lewis in 1834 Aberystruth..On the 1851 W census living in Aberystruth(Gentlenus Row(Gentlemans Row?)) are Mary Stephens 39 born Carmarthenshire(widow),Evan James(son)b.1834 mon(miner),Rd James son b.1837 mon (haulier),Daniel James b.1841 miner b.mon,Aron James son b.1843(door keeper in coal...) .Mon,Mirian(son?) b.1845 mon,Martha b.1848 mon.The last four children iived in 1861W with Vavasor and mary but all with the surname RICHARDS...Evan James (widower) aged 47 turns up in the 1881W census and is down as a collier and a stepson of Mary and Vavas* with a son?Enoch aged 3....Bearing this in mind I think that Mary(nee Lewis) married Enoch James on 15 mar 1834 in Aberystruth.Enoch dies before 1840 and Mary marries Edward Stephen(s) around 1840.Edward dies in 1849 in Abergavenny reg and Mary remarries again to Vavassor Powell between 1851 and 1853.Regards to all Ivorglyn

Offline ivorglyn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 23 October 14 16:26 BST (UK) »
Dear all especially Rosie99 and Mabel Bagshawe,On ancestry for 1851W Mary Stephen(s) is down as born Cullycoom Carmarthenshire.I checked ancestry for Cilycwm and there are 2 Mary Lewis's b.1815...the first is born/baptised 10/aug/1815 with parents Daniel and Mary...the second is also born ~1815(10/january).The more likely is the first as Daniel is one of Mary James(Stephen(s)) children.If this is correct then a Daniel Lewis married a Margaret Morgans in 1806 in Cilycwm.A Daniel Lewis was born~1775 in Cilycwm with parents Rees Lewis and Sarah.A Mary Morgans was born ~1776 in Cilycwm with father Thomas

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 23 October 14 16:48 BST (UK) »
The only thing now is to get the birth certificate of Dyfrig or Lewis to see if the mother's maiden name is on there.

Did you send for the birth certificate

Offline ivorglyn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 23 October 14 17:08 BST (UK) »
Dear Rosie,I haven't sent for it yet...regards Ivorglyn( I have been doing all this for a close friend)

Offline ivorglyn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 24 October 14 14:41 BST (UK) »
Dear Rosie et al,I have found a possible marriage in 1839 Abergavenny reg between Edward Richards and Mary James.Looking at the 1861W census for the Vavasor Powell record Daniel,Aaron,Mirian(m),and Martha all have the surname 'Richards'.It appears that the Stephen(s) name on the 1841W and the 1851W censuses should have been Richards?...very confusing!!!I still can't find a marriage for vavassor and any Mary(James,Richards,Stephens,or Lewis)..regards Ivorglyn ps any ideas re the Powell family Llangattock where Lewis Powell was born~1779?(father of Vavassor)?

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 24 October 14 18:01 BST (UK) »
I have found a possible marriage in 1839 Abergavenny reg between Edward Richards and Mary James.

Mary James father was Evan Lewis.  ;)
Perhaps Mary didn't marry Vavassor ;D
So she was maiden name Lewis -
then married Enoch James in 1834 (poss death for Enoch Mar qtr 1839   Abergavenny  26 /9
then Edward Richards in 1839

There are far too many Edwards that match for deaths on the index.  She may just have left him.