Author Topic: North Shields Lookup  (Read 7301 times)

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: North Shields Lookup
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 02:10 BST (UK) »
Per FREE BMD:

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

BIRTH
CARTER Charles June Q 1872 v.10A p.793 S. Shields

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 02:24 BST (UK) »
Alas, I think this is the Charles Carter 8 year old son of Dorothy Carter widowed on the 1881 Census and living in Westcoe, South Shields, Durham. Both born South Shields.

Offline Rahnee1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 04:49 BST (UK) »
Oh, I got excited for a minute.  Thought that might be a possibility.

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 05:16 BST (UK) »
I have been trying to wrack my brain as I do a lot of research in Northumberland. Was he Royal Navy or Merchant Navy?  I appreciate your frustration! Durham Records online is a good resource, though you do have to pay to see any further with the records.  There are some really good resources in the North-East, if only you could go further.

Offline ChrissieL

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ben and John Hardman meeting up in Cairo
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 15:17 BST (UK) »
No luck finding Charles Sherlock born in North Shields

I was having a look at photo of the man in the uniform and it does look like an officer in the British Army.  It does seem strange that a man who has always served on ships should join the army. 

I was thinking if you posted the photo on the Military Board, I am sure there would be an expert on uniforms who could tell you what the regiment was.  You could then follow up that lead.

Chris
Staffordshire: Lawton Probyn Horrobin
Durham: Bamlett Hardman Winship Robinson
Suffolk: Leggett

Offline Rahnee1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 16 October 14 00:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone for all your help and suggestions. 

I have been unable to find any military record of any sort either navy or army for him.  I also find it unusual that he would join the army given his shipping record.  I have looked at the Durham records online but found nothing at all. 

I have posted the photo on the military board.  Hopefully someone can identify it for me, but from previous discussions we were under the impression that its a brtitish army uniform.  It will be nice to have confirmation.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 16 October 14 02:08 BST (UK) »
Just throwing this out there...

If Charles Snr was a boilermaker then its possible he too was somehow connected with ships.   :-\

There are records of a Charles Sherlock / Shurlock, mariner, b 1848 in either Hyth, Beds according to the 1871 census (RG10; Piece: 3777; Folio: 125; Page: 8;) or Heath Oxford according to the following TNA record:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C11738569

In 1871 there is also an unmarried Mary Carter aged 30 from Liverpool lodging at Percy St Tynemouth.  The family she is lodging with is also called Carter so may well have been family.   

Possibly entirely unconnected but the 1881 census has the following in the Tynemouth Union Workhouse, North Shields:

Catherine Sherlock, 22, b Blyth
Mary Ann Sherlock, 3, b Bedlington
Isabella Sherlock, 1, b Blyth

I cant find Catherine in 1871 so whilst its a long-shot it may be worth getting the birth certificate of one of the children to see who their father was and whether he too was a boilermaker.  If nothing else it MAY place Charles the mariner in North Shields at the right time  ??? 
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline mulvi3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 16 October 14 02:27 BST (UK) »
I have been coming back and forward to that one with the mother Catherine.  I couldn't find any obvious connection apart from that she had a brother Charles.

Catherine's maiden name is Gillin/Gillon/Gillen b Bedlington  She married an Anthony Sherlock in (if I remember rightly) Morpeth in 1875.  Anthony b Ireland and 25 years her Snr.  They had two children and by 1881 Catherine and the two children were in Tynemouth workhouse. No Anthony
at that time. Children Mary Ann b Bedlington and Isabella born Blyth.  Catherine died 1882 and Isabella 1884.  Going off on a tangent I wondered if Catherine had died in childbirth with Charles
and he never really knew his parents or was brought up indeed by a Charles a boilermaker.

Mary Ann goes onto Marry (Watson) and in 1901 Anthony appears but no occupation given - living off his own means.

Sorry not to give the links but disappeared from my history.

PS Do you have the occupation of Charles  1877 from the mc or one of the children's bc's

Vera

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 16 October 14 03:23 BST (UK) »
No luck finding Charles Sherlock born in North Shields

I was having a look at photo of the man in the uniform and it does look like an officer in the British Army.  It does seem strange that a man who has always served on ships should join the army. 

I was thinking if you posted the photo on the Military Board, I am sure there would be an expert on uniforms who could tell you what the regiment was.  You could then follow up that lead.

Chris

Here's the thread  :)
 http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=702477.0

I can confirm it is most likely a chap in the AIF (Australian Imperial Forces). 
http://www.awm.gov.au/research/infosheets/served_ww1/

Medals : http://www.anzacday.org.au/education/medals/general/ww1.html   Please read that link carefully, re medals awarded for service on board ships, including Mercantile Marine

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.