Author Topic: Major David Nelson VC  (Read 19276 times)

Offline Woodsd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Major David Nelson VC
« on: Sunday 12 October 14 14:31 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if anyone has researched the family of Major David Nelson VC from Stranooden, co Monaghan.

When a Sergeant with the Royal Horse Artillery, David Nelson won the Victoria Cross for actions taken on 1 September 1914.  He was subsequently promoted and reached the rank of Major before being killed in action on 8 April 1918.

I have obtained David Nelson's birth certificate:

David Nelson
born: 3 April 1887 at Darraghlan, District of Kilmore, co Monaghan
father: George Nelson, farmer, or Darraghlan
mother: Mary Anne Nelson, formerly Black.

From familysearch.org, I believe that George Nelson (listed as Neilson) and Mary Anne Black were married in 1876 in Monaghan.  I am going to order a copy of the marriage certificate, which should name both their fathers and places of residence.

The 1901 census for Darraghlan, Caddagh, Monaghan lists the family as Neilson:
Mary Anne Neilson, 43 years, Head, Presbyterian, Widow, Farmer
George Neilson, 22 years, Son, Presbyterian, Not married, Farmer's son
Thomas Neilson, 19 years, Son, Not married, Farmer's son
David Neilson, 13 years, Son, Presbyterian, Not married, Scholar
Annie Neilson, 6 years, Daughter, Presbyterian, Not married, Scholar.

The 1911 census for Darraghlan, Caddagh, Monaghan lists:
Thomas Nelson, 29 years, Head, Presbyterian, Single, Farmer
Annie Nelson, 16 years, Sister, Presbyterian, Single
John Black, 67 years, Boarder, Presbyterian, Single, Retired Farmer.
(Quite possibly, this John Black is a relation, maybe uncle to Major David Nelson.)

From familysearch.org, Major David Nelson's father George Nelson seems to have died in January or February 1897, aged 53 years (ie born circa 1844), with probate granted in favour of Mary A Nelson on 13 February 1897.  Also from familysearch.org, Major David Nelson's mother seems to have died between July and September 1909, aged 52 years (ie born circa 1857).

Major David Nelson is one of 5 men listed on the war memorial for Cahans Presbyterian Church.  My own family is related to at least one of the other 4 men listed on the war memorial.  Another of the men listed is Private David Black who died 1 July 1916, aged 19 years, son of William Black of Banaghroe, Stranooden - possibly the same family as Major Nelson's mother.

I am wondering whether I may have a link to Major David Nelson through my great-great-grandmother who was Anne Nelson, the wife of Joseph Gilliland - please see my posts of 1 March 2014 and 12 October 2014 under the "Gilliland Conly Ballybay" thread.  So many of the families from the local Presbyterian congregations seem to have inter-married.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has researched Major David Nelson's family.

Thanks

David

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Major David Nelson VC
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 October 14 10:41 BST (UK) »
http://www.merrionstreet.ie

then type in the box on top right hand side David Nelson

can this site not help you?

the plaque was unvield on 1.9.2014 at Cahans presbyterian church by Minister Humphrey's Arts & Heritage

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 October 14 10:58 BST (UK) »
http://www.cwgc.org

war graves

cemetery Lillers, Communal cemetery
Grave VA16

Royal field artillery

son of the late George and Annie Nelson, Husband of A.J. Nelson, of 92 Ranelage Road, Ipswich, native of Deraghland. Monaghan

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 October 14 11:09 BST (UK) »

Offline Woodsd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 October 14 13:35 BST (UK) »
I now have the marriage certificate for Major David Nelson's parents:

Marriage solemnized at Cahans in the Parish of Tullycorbet in the County of Monaghan
21 December 1876
- George Neilson, Full age, Widower, Farmer
Residence: Deraghland, Parish Kilmore, co Monaghan
father: Robert Neilson, Farmer
- Mary Anne Black, 20 years, Spinster, No occupation
Residence: Banaghroe, Parish Kilmore, co Monaghan
father: William Black, Farmer
Married in the Meetinghouse according to the Form and Discipline of the Presbyterian Church by licence by James Henry, Officiating Minister
In the presence of:
- Robert Black
- Margaret Fleming.

Again, I would be interested to hear if anyone has already researched the family of Major David Nelson VC.

Thanks

David

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 October 14 14:36 BST (UK) »

Offline Woodsd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 October 14 17:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that information: so that's the birth of Major David Nelson's eldest brother:

George Nelson
born 14 April 1878 at Darraghland
parents: George Nelson & Mary Anne Nelson ms Black.

Looking at the census returns and bits and pieces, I reckon that I have two brothers of Major Nelson's mother on the 1901 and 1911 census returns:

1901 - House 1, Coolkill, Lisnaveane, Monaghan
John Black, 54 years, Head, Presbyterian, Farmer, Not married, born co Monaghan
(this will be the John Black who is a Boarder with Major Nelson's brother on the 1911 census - see my post above)

1901 - House 2, Bannaghroe, Caddagh, Monaghan
William Black, 47 years, Head, Presbyterian, Farmer, Married, born co Monaghan
Mary Black, 37 years, Wife, Presbyterian, Farmer's Wife, Married, born co Monaghan
Mary A Black, 13 years, Daughter, Presbyterian, Scholar, Not married, born co Monaghan
John Black, 10 years, Son, Presbyterian, Scholar, born co Monaghan
Samuel Black, 8 years, Son Presbyterian, Scholar, born co Monaghan
David Black, 6 years, Son, Presbyterian, Farmer's son, born co Monaghan
William Black, 4 years, Son, Presbyterian, Farmer's son, born co Monaghan

1911 - House 2, Bannaghroe, Caddagh, Monaghan
William Black, 58 years, Head, Presbyterian, Farmer, Widower, born co Monaghan
Samuel Black, 17 years, Son, Presbyterian, Farmer's son, Single, born co Monaghan
David Black, 15 years, Son, Presbyterian, Farmer's son, Single, born co Monaghan
William Black, 13 years, Son, Presbyterian, Farmer's son, Single, born co Monaghan.

From familysearch.org, a William Black and a Mary Bradshaw were married Apr-June 1881.  So I reckon this is the couple in the 1901 census above.  Meanwhile, their son David Black will be the Private David Black who I have already mentioned as listed with Major Nelson on the war memorial for Cahans Presbyterian Church.  So that makes Major Nelson and Private David Black first cousins.

Meanwhile, the Roll of Honour for Cahans Presbyterian Church lists Private David Black's brothers: Private John Black from Banaghroe was wounded; while Private Samuel Black from Banaghroe was wounded and taken prisoner.  The 3 brothers served in the same regiment: 9th Royal Irish Fusiliers.

Another possible brother for Major Nelson's mother is Robert Black who witnessed the marriage of Major Nelson's parents.  But no other evidence yet.

As I have mentioned, the war memorial for Cahans Presbyterian Church lists 5 men.  So that's Major Nelson, Private David Black and 3 others.  One of the others is Private David Turbitt whose details I have recorded under the "Gilliland / Conly / Ballybay" thread.  The remaining 2 are Private William James Fleming and Corporal George McCullagh.

I guess that Private William James Fleming is probably connected to Margaret Fleming who was a witness at the marriage of Major Nelson's parents, as well as the other Flemings mentioned under "Gilliland / Conly / Ballybay".  Using familysearch.org and the 1901 and 1911 census returns for Slieveroe, Caddagh, Monaghan, Private William James Fleming was born Oct-Dec 1893, the son of Thomas Fleming (born c 1858) and Margaret Jane Pollock (born c 1863-65) who married Apr-June 1892.  The census returns list various siblings for Private Fleming, including a brother named Bradshaw Fleming, which must be a link to Mary Bradshaw who married William Black, maternal uncle of Major Nelson.

Meanwhile, I already have the birth certificate for Corporal George David McCullagh:
born 4 November 1896 at Slieveroe
father: Andrew McCullagh, Farmer, of Slieveroe
mother: Margaret McCullagh, formerly Reed and previously Jackson.

A short biography, photograph and family information for Corporal George David McCullagh can be found at:
http://www.thesilverbowl.com/biographies/McCullagh_GD.html

The Roll of Honour for Cahans Presbyterian Church also records Private John A McCullagh from Slieveroe who was twice wounded, and Private John B McCullagh from Stranoodin who was wounded.

Again, my post on "Gilliland / Conly / Ballybay" makes other references to McCullaghs, as well as Olivers (the Jackson family of Corporal George David McCullagh's mother had links to Olivers).  All these families with links to Cahans and other local Presbyterian churches must be seriously inter-related!

Hope all this is of interest to someone.  And I am still looking to directly link my great-great-grandmother Anne Nelson (wife of Joseph Gilliland) to Major David Nelson's family.  Although enough circumstantial evidence seems to exist to indicate some form of linkage through other families if not the Nelsons!

David

Offline rrdevine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 May 15 05:48 BST (UK) »
Reply to Woodsd postings:  I'm a second cousin, once removed, of Major David Nelson.  Have quite a bit on him in my Ancestry.com family tree.  For example, his about 100 year old son is still alive in Seattle, Washington!  I'm a grand nephew of the John Black you wrote of in your posts.  And thanks for the marriage certificate information on George Nelson and Mary Ann Black which confirmed general information that I have.  I'm a new RootsChat signee, so please reply and confirm if you please.  Robert   

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 25 May 15 08:27 BST (UK) »
Some of the related families should be here..

http://www.igp-web.com/IGPArchives/ire/monaghan/photos/tombstones/markers.htm

Search box at top for Surnames!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.