Author Topic: Robert Findley birth records  (Read 1770 times)

Offline kasden

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Findley birth records
« on: Sunday 12 October 14 21:59 BST (UK) »
Hi all, I have found (3) Australian police records of my 'illustrious' scots great great grandfather (arrested for drunkenness!) where he gives his birth information as follows.
Born 1847 Forfar Dundee to Robert and Jane Findley nee Hales. It also stated that he came to Australia aboard the Rangatira in 1860 (much younger than what we initially thought).The trouble is that;
a) I can't find anything to confirm either his birth date of 1847 or his passage on the Rangatira in 1860 as either a passenger or a crew member..
b) His name is variously spelled Findley/Findlay/Finley/Finlay depending on who was doing the writing...FINDLEY seems to be the most often used.
Can anyone help me to confirm either of these statements, most especially his birth.
Cheers
Kasden

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Findley birth records
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 October 14 08:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Kasden.
I've had a quick look and haven't had any success finding Robert Findlay (he's hiding well).
Three suggestions-
Firstly - Have you looked  for an approx. 3/4 year old Robert Findlay (and variant spellings) on Scottish 1851 Census.
Secondly - Could be that Robert was illegitimate and was under the name Hails/Hales/Hailes (lots of variations with this name too  :P  )
Thirdly- Can the names of Robert's children offer any clues?  Grandparents/family names were, as you will probably be aware, passed down. 

Hales was not that common a surname. I did find this -  https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTVT-H58
Jane Hailes marries a Hugh Martin 16th Nov 1850 at Liff Benvie and Invergowrie, Angus
This couple according to Familysearch have 7 children between the years of 1857 -1872 at Dundee.Angus , but I suspect there may be more. Probably births pre- Statutory Registration in 1855  for which no record exists now?
Of course this may not be Jane Hailes mother of Robert Findlay but it might be worth finding this family on the 1851 and 1861 Census to see who's all there.

Looking for a Jane Hailes in the right area turned up this girl in 1841

Jean Hails age 11 born in Angus. see family below

Todsburn Lane Dundee.
James Hails           50              Mason Journeyman
Isabel Hails            20
James Hails           14              Turner Apprentice
Jean Hails              11
Jean Gray              50
James Hearn          55             Labourer
All born Angus except James Hearn (born outside county/he's probably lodging with family)
Jean Gray is James Hails wife.
Jane/Jean interchangable names.

Again, this may not be your Robert's mother. But she was the only Jane/Jean Hails of a suitable age that I could find.
Hope all this helps your search.
Good luck
Looby :)