Author Topic: Finding Great grandfather's Russian Latvian relatives  (Read 19003 times)

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Finding Great grandfather's Russian Latvian relatives
« on: Monday 13 October 14 19:10 BST (UK) »
George Jacob Fellman. b.1870 left Russia in 1891 + went from Manchester to Liverpool where he fathered my nana .He was in Scotland in 1906 + spent the rest of his life travelling around Wales til his death in 1924 .
It's been a real detective hunt ;starting with nana's middle name which led to an affiliation order for maintenance payments .
His hospital  admission records led us to discover that he was the 2nd of 12 siblings 2 of whom were dead .(I have database from russian latvia with their names ).
His sister Rebecca Bloch living in Scotland was listed as next of kin  but I'd really like to find what happened to the other 8 siblings .....did they go to America ?
Rebecca's parents names were on her death certificate as lazurus Fellman +EdithLandsman         
 (Leizer-mendel Fellman + Gesa-Eida (on latvian database)
younger children may have had a different mother as she died in 1888 .
 Does anyone have any connections to this family ?   
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Finding Great grandfather's Russian Latvian relatives
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 October 14 22:51 BST (UK) »
If you haven't already done so, a good way to make surname connections with other members is to enter your surname interests in the Surname Interests Table (SIT), and to check there whether others are researching these names. 

This can be found at http://surname.rootschat.com/ , there is a link to it under "Your Tools" at the bottom of each Rootschat page.

The more people who enter their surnames, the more chance there will be of making a connection!
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 October 14 23:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks manchester rambler just working out how to use this site , I've added names of some of my ancestors now .

Also found a site on  devoted to Feldman/Fellman names so have listed all the ones I know of on there .

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 07:39 BST (UK) »
I went on
www.liverpoolhistoryprojects.co.uk
baptisms
Henry Bloch born 1859 - baptised 1888 at St Phillip
Francis Ignatius Bloch b 1888 - bap 1888 at St Anthony - parents Henry Bloch and Ellen O'Connell
Henry Bloch and Ellen O'Connell were married in 1889 at St Phillip - a year after the birth/bap of Francis ...this looks like to me that Henry wasn`t Catholic and converted to Catholic to marry Ellen ...is Henry Bloch in your tree ??
the same registration for Rebecca Fellman to Benjamin Bloch - jun qtr 1896 in Prestwich also has Abraham LANDSMAN to Annie Cohen ....was Abraham Landsman some relation ??

Rachel Fellman death aged 27 in Prestwich dec qtr 1900 - looks like a sister of Rebecca ?
Nathan Fellman death aged 58 in Prestwich mar qtr 1916
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 10:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks  Garstonite; Benjamin Bloch in Scotland since 1890's  m Rebbecca in mancs.children ;Geiss-Ada,dino,sarah,esther minnie,barnet+Rosie all born in Dundee
Am ruling out other Bloch's.

Why do think Rachel is Rebecca's sister ( sister-in law more likely aged 27  )? Can't find any Fellmans there on 1891+1901or 1911 census ; 1891 Mendel aged 40 is down as a female, boarder with George 20 "living on means" 
Nathan could be an uncle but I'd need to know origins ,parents names  . How do i see more details of the data you posted ??
There is a thread on GR regarding  my ggfather's naturalisation + the info we have on these families so far.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 11:20 BST (UK) »
did George go by the name Jacob ? ...b 1875 Russia
www.familysearch.org
surname  fellman
any event
lancashire
1870- 1910
england
lancashire
search ..............click ...if you need a hand PM me - or - any specific person ?
couldn`t find George in 1901 census - but found a Jacob ?..........and it`s Prestwich
realistically , I can`t see a Russian being named George in 1850`s Russia ?...do you think he Anglicised his name to sound more English ?
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/X9JF-TKY
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 11:42 BST (UK) »
here 's a thread so you don't repeat work done so far
  ; http://www.GenesReunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1324681
(modified)

how do i pm you ?
Yuri is a typical version of George ...he was Jewish so would have a yiddish version of the name
found as Geo J in 1911 census ; death record just George .
The George Fellman you found is another one

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 11:48 BST (UK) »
click on Garstonite where the green light is on
and you will see
send a message
did any of your Fellman family stay in Liverpool ?
the last record for Fellman on freebmd.org.uk is in Crosby ,Liverpool - a marriage in march qtr 1944

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 11:54 BST (UK) »
Have come across a few examples of Jacob Fellman .a painter + a tailor.in news reports ,census etc one of them could be one of my great-grandfathers brother's but would need parents names to be sure ,or a more precise birthplace ; Jacobstadt(jekobpils) In Courland(Kurland) Russia now Latvia. fot it to be worth investigating .
I only know what happened to George Jacob + his sister Rebecca .He stayed in liverpool for a few years 1899-1901 at least .
there was another Fellman family in nearby Price St in the 1901 census samuel+ jane(sena) + 7 children but I didn't find any connection between them