Author Topic: Finding Great grandfather's Russian Latvian relatives  (Read 18871 times)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Finding Great grandfather's Russian Latvian relatives
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 12:03 BST (UK) »
OK - so Sophia Fellman b 1906 Liverpool ?
you might try and find out who her father was ?...if it`s George Jacob - we know he was still in Liverpool in 1906
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 12:10 BST (UK) »
He died unmarried if he did have any other children they would also have mother's surname only.
I know he was a travelling salesman already in 1906...we found a court case from Dundee he'd travelled from a big town in North England but may well have been already based in Wales . did you get my pm ?
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 12:16 BST (UK) »
Yes - I got your PM and have replied - click on my messages on the brown strip where it says Home
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 23:01 BST (UK) »
I have the 1911 census for  the prestwich Jacob Fellman ( it's not very legible )
we ruled him out cos initially just looking for great gfather  but he could be a brother of George Jacob.

some possible Fellman's on my other thread about passenger ship
rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=702300.msg5452971#msg5452971

The key to finding siblings  names is find what happened to Mendel Fellman who was 40 married+ living on means with George jacob aged 20 single  boarding with Jessie Brodie and daughters 

Could Mendel be his mother as we 1st thought ?
I believe it to be his father named as Lazurus on sister Rebecca's death certificate
latvian data base has him as Leizer-Mendel and Mendel-Leizer 
but why is there no sign of him/her in 1901 ,or deaths or transport ;  ?

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 09:48 BST (UK) »
If anyone is looking for Feldman/Fellman or comes across a connection to these families this is a good site
   http://feldmanfamilytree.com/index.php

Though they don't seem to have any of the New York or Philedelphia ones found on this chat thread ;
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=702300.msg5452971#msg5452971

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 12:30 BST (UK) »
Quite a trail!

I would agree entirely with you, that the 40-year-old Mendel Fellman lodging with George was his father.

Have you looked through the records on Jewishgen and the fabulous transcriptions by Christine Usdin?

These suggest that his Yiddish name was Leizer-Mendel son of Leib, but he was known as Mendel (the Yiddish form of Menachem). He and his father were recorded in the 1871 enlistment register for Jakobstadt; his father being Leib Yankel Fellman (i.e. Leib son of Yankel), b. c1824. Yankel is the Yiddish form of Jacob (Ya'acov in Hebrew).

Leib (pronounced libe), incidentally, is the Yiddish word for lion. It was the Yiddish 'nickname' given to boys/men who had the Hebrew name Yehuda. This practice is based in the biblical Jacob likening his son Yehuda to a young lion. Many Jewish records would report the double name Yehuda-Leib.

Christine Usdin's transcriptions include the birth registrations of nine of Leizer-Mendel's children between 1879 and 1891 (including two with his second wife, Sheina) and the deaths of two of his children.

I would speculate that the Yiddish name of your George was Gershon-Yankel.

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 13:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for that ; i had some of the information given as a free initial trial from a helpful lady called Tana  running a find Russian ancestry site  ;
but i didn't know if Gesa-eda was 1st wife or a child  ;  i think she must be the Edith named on her daughters scottish death cert
but couldn't afford to pay for  full private research there are also ; Documents from Radusraksti are free to see but in Russian or Yiddish .

I couldn't afford to join jewishgen either . I'm on Genes Reunited at the moment 
but thanks  so so much for clearing that up . I'll see if I can find Leib Yankel and the names of his other children on search engine ;

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 14:27 BST (UK) »
I've found Christine Usdin's translation of the birth of Shora fellman 1885 with father leizer-mendel Fellman and mother Gessa-Eida
 and i saw the translation for Mottels death age 2 in 1884
 but I can't then open pages for other years
There is probably a quicker way than looking for  Fellman mendel refs 1 by 1 on a search engine is there a way to get on to the site

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 15:03 BST (UK) »
Hi,

For some reason the links to different years on Christine's site do not work. But if you manually change the URL address, it is possible to view each year.

I have compiled the attached family tree from records on Christine's site and on Jewishgen. Incidentally, jewishgen is entirely free. You only have to register to get a user name and password.

Your family appear to have been the only Fellmans in Kurland.

Edith is simply a fictional Anglicised name for Gesa-Eida, who appears to have died on 20 Oct 1888 following the birth of a boy on 30 Sep 1888.