Author Topic: Thomas Johnson and Ann (maiden name?)  (Read 4376 times)

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Johnson and Ann (maiden name?)
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 14:00 BST (UK) »
Just to muddy the waters, there are 2 baptisms to a Thomas Johnson and Marianne in Newark in 1821 and 1823, and one to Thos and Ann in 1826 (again Newark) and this Thomas was also a blacksmith; .

Neither the name nor the occupation is unusual so it may well be a totally different person - but could he have been married before? This appears to be the marriage

1820 06 25   Thomas   JOHNSON   Maryann   CORBY   NEWARK St Mary Magdalene

Scrap that - I've found other Johnson baptisms to Thomas and Ann in Newark up to 1835 and that would clash with the Eastwood baptisms so presumably a different couple.

I've looked at all parishes and the first baptism I can see to the OPs Thomas and Ann was the 1832 one of Thomas Hawkley Johnson. So I'd think it likely that they got together around 1830-31. The alternative if they were together before then is that they were living outside Nottinghamshire or in one of the few parishes not covered by the CD for this time period.

Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline dianacl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 16:13 BST (UK) »
Hello Annie,
I have Ann's death certificate, and as you guessed, she died at Eastwood in 1866 age 60, and Thomas  was present. I suppose it is feasible that Thomas was married earlier on, as on the 1841 census there were a Charlotte (age 15) and Martha (12). Thomas would have been around 20 when Charlotte was born. ("my" Ann would have been around 15)  I didn't find the two girls in parish records, but all the others were, so I considered they were just "taken in" by T and A.  After this census it is difficult to track them.
T and A's  sons Thomas, John and George all became blacksmiths.  Their son William was an errand boy in 1851.(age 12) (Must be a different William you found.)
I spent some time exploring the Oakleys and Oxleys, and there are some vagues hints they are connected. Thomas himself died in 1874 age 69, at his son's (George) in Lichfield.
If Ann's maiden name WAS Carrott, can you think of a reason Thomas as a blacksmith, would have been living in Barrowby when they were married at Langford in 1827? (eg. Are there old mines around there?) Thank you very much for helping.   Diana

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 17:52 BST (UK) »
Although there are baptisms for Charlotte and Martha Johnsons on the FHS CD, none of them have a father called Thomas.

If Thomas and Ann m in 1827 I'd expect them to have had children - they were obviously a fertile couple and their Eastwood-born children all survived childhood, and yet there are no older children with them in 1841. This as much as anything leads me to suspect that the marriage (if they were married!) wasn't as early as this.

I found a probable marriage for Martha to John Rowland in Eastwood in 1852 but following them in the censuses all I could see was that Martha was b Nottingham.
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)

Offline dianacl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 01:50 BST (UK) »
I think you are onto something when you notice they were married for 7 years before they had Thomas Jnr. Of course, one or more may have died, but as you say, the later children seem to have made it.
Another small argument for a second marriage is that in 1851, Ann was born in Ratcliff, and in 1861, in Coddington. (Perhaps she just didn't really know.)
I looked for Thomas in apprenticeship records in Lincolnshire without luck.
I have sent for what may be Henry, their last child's, civil Birth Cert.
With thanks,  Diana

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 18:11 BST (UK) »
Please let us know what the cert says!
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)

Offline dianacl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 16 October 14 03:28 BST (UK) »
For sure! You will hear 10 minutes after I do! (They usually take about 3 weeks to get to Canada.) Diana

Offline dianacl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 07 November 14 20:16 GMT (UK) »
To Annie65115 and CaroleW and other helpers.  I have received the birth C. of Henry B1848, (Basford 15-439) Unfortunately, not my Henry:( These parents were Joseph Johnson, a collier, and Hannah Johnson, nee Shaw. Residence Marpool.  As I understand the authorities didn't really enforce birth registrations until the 1860's, I think perhaps Thomas and Ann didn't comply. I will keep checking lateral lines though, and see where they lead. Do you think Ann is likely to be commemorated in Eastwood Churchyard?