Author Topic: WW1 memorial's listed names  (Read 12314 times)

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 memorial's listed names
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 13:12 BST (UK) »
Hello loobylooayr,
     Well done to you too. I'll still have look at Inverkeithing but I think you've found the right J Clarkson especially if he enlisted in Edinburgh. I'd expect someone in Fife to enlist in Fife.
               Best Regards,     Dod.

"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 01:15 BST (UK) »
Have you checked his Medal Record Card or Service Record? He got the Military Medal?
This post is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws. Unfortunately my preferred method of writing (Parker Quink on Basildon Bond) cannot be used.

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 02:18 BST (UK) »
Hello deebel,
     Yes. Medal Rolls Index Card
     James Clarkson, Grenadier Guards. Rank: Guardsman. Regimental No: 17542.
     Decorations: Victory Medal. British War Medal. 1915 Star & the Military Medal.
     I'm sure the Military Medal was awarded for something like bravery under fire. Other
     rootschatters will know more about the MM.
               Regards,     Dod.

Offline Craig Semplis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 23:10 BST (UK) »
Hello to Everyone who was kind enough to not only reply but offer advice or check stuff for me as I'm a bit of a donut when it come to most interweb stuff, I mostly use it for posting photos on FB - So you can all put a face to my great uncle heres a photo of him as a guardsman. thankyou thankyou for all your help best regards Craig semplis
Semplis not many of us about.

Offline Craig Semplis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 23:37 BST (UK) »
To those who found some details for me, the W Lothian area is where my Gt Uncles ended up, I once found an image of his rent book for a cottage nr Bathgate or Uphall. My other uncle was gassed in WW1 and tho my Nanna gave few details of her Brothers? she did say his breathing was laboured the rest of his life and his skin had a jaundeced look to it, and it angered the family as he had to appear before a panel every so often to prove he was elligable be able to get a disability persion. I think he died early in WW2 maybe 1942.

Offline Craig Semplis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 20 October 14 00:36 BST (UK) »
To Lobby,Ecks,Imber,MMM45, if I could give more info I would not quite knowing what u would need, I have always wanted to know what he got the MM for BUT I was told that citations in WW1 r rare unless for V Cross or ur an officer. where does it say he joined in Edinburgh? or did I miss something? my nanna said the were in Addiewell before moving to King Street? in late 30's early forties, but I found some about James being in Uphall. Its hard to know what questions to ask sometimes. But I want to take this time to thank you for all ur help anyway regards Craig.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 20 October 14 01:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Craig,
No need to apologise, you can only relate what info you have.
I would tend to think that your James is the man commemorated on the Bathgate memorial. There was only one J Clarkson of the Grenadier Guards died in WW1 according to the Commonwealth War Graves Commision. Only niggle is that he is listed as a Private, yet the inscription on the memorial is for Corporal??
As for finding out more about his war record - maybe asking to have this thread posted to the WW1 board and getting advice from a military expert might be beneficial .

Looby :)

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 20 October 14 08:23 BST (UK) »
Hi

Probably displaying my ignorance now but his cap badge doesn't look like Grenadier Guards to me, and then there's the spurs and sword. Being totally pedantic now I thought the term Guardsman didn't replace Private until after the war, or have I got all that wrong?

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 20 October 14 15:06 BST (UK) »
Hello Craig,
     Enlisted Edinburgh comes from Soldiers Died in the Great War 1914-1919.
     James Clarkson.
     Birthplace  Clackmannan, Scotland.
     Death Date  18 Jul 1916.
     Death Place  France & Flanders.
     Enlistment Place  Edinburgh.
     Rank  GDSN.
     Regiment Grenadier Guards.
     Battalion  4th Battalion.
     Regimental No.  17542.
     Type of Casualty  Died of Wounds.
     Theatre of War  Western European Theatre.

I came across an old thread on Rootschat (WW1 MM???) which had some useful information including this link,          http://www.thegazette.co.uk
     Click on Awards & Accreditation (Purple Button)
     Click on WW1 notices (Purple Toolbar under 'The Gazette' Logo)
     To save searching through a lot of records, enter Pte. J Clarkson in the box under Text search.
     Date: 01/08/1914 - 01/01/1919.
     This should bring up 2 Newspapers relevant to your James Clarkson. 'The Edinburgh Gazette' (Issue 12947, Page 1014) published 5th June,1916 & 'The London Gazette' (Supplement 29608, Page 5588) published 2nd June,1916, both carrying lists of names of people who had earned Awards & Medals etc.
     Click on View Page to see the list. Entry with both papers reads:
          17542 Pte. J. Clarkson, 4th Bn., G. Gds.
     Click back 2 pages (Page 1012, Edinburgh Gazette. Page 5586, London Gazette) you'll see the heading: Awarded the Military Medal. (Can be downloaded as a PDF document)
     So, same James Clarkson, Regimental No:17542. Guardsman on Soldiers Died in the Great War & Private on Military Medal award.
     James' brothers, John & Lewis, enlisted early 1900s at Linlithgow. Might be worth checking War Memorials in that area but I still think the Bathgate War Memorial is likely to be him. Mistakes were often made on these. My friend,s father is listed on the Milnathort Memorial although he survived WW1 & died 1960s. His name was listed instead of his brother.
     Hope the above helps.
               Regards,     Dod.

PS. Could also try this link     www.1914-1918.net     the Long, Long Trail website again mentioned on the thread  WW1 MM???  started by sharren1837.