Author Topic: Help sort out my Haliburtons - Coldstream 1715  (Read 3254 times)

Offline MaggieH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Help sort out my Haliburtons - Coldstream 1715
« on: Tuesday 14 October 14 04:21 BST (UK) »
I believe that the Coldstream parish register begins in 1690. Can anyone suggest where else I could look online for folk who lived in the area around that time? I have a John Haliburton, surgeon of Coldstream who apprenticed his son Andrew in London 1715. I have been unable to find a baptism for Andrew, though I have a copy of baptisms for Agnes 1693, Margaret 1694, Mary 1700, Jean 1702 and Robert 1704. None of them provide any extra information. The internet provides a lot of information about the Haliburtons in general as they were well-known throughout the borders area. My problem is sorting out where John Haliburton fits in. There are also no Haliburton deaths listed in Coldstream around that time, so I am stumped. Any suggestions gratefully received.
Maggie
Hunter, Hurst, Forbes from Northumberland and Durham. Sandham, Malone, Gregory from Lancashire.
NSW, Australia, Quebec, Canada.

Offline ScottishAncestry

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Help sort out my Haliburtons - Coldstream 1715
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 09:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Maggie,

There are a few things you could try, sadly you have probably exhausted online resources for the time being. The first place I would go is the catalogue of the National Records of Scotland. You can access it here: http://catalogue.nrscotland.gov.uk/nrsonlinecatalogue/search.aspx

To begin I searched for Coldstream and Haliburton. There are four interesting results:

GD1/191/3, GD1/191/4, GD1/191/6   and GD267/26/13/251

All of them are very interesting and may help. The catalogue is very detailed for these items, giving a brief summary which is excellent.

GD1/191/4 is described as ‘Disposition by Patrick Halyburton [Haliburton], bailie and merchant in Edinburgh, to John Halyburton apothecary in Coldstream, and Isabell Sanderson, his spouse, of subjects in Charter of 26 Feb 1691’.

A look at the original document may give more in the way of relationships. Patrick is more than likely related to John, but how? The catalogue entry does not say.

The other entries are interesting too, definitely worth a look.

Before beginning any research in the National Records of Scotland (whether you go yourself, or pay a researcher) I would recommend buying their book ‘Tracing Your Scottish Ancestors: a guide to ancestry research in the National Records of Scotland and ScotlandsPeople’: http://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/visit-us/shop It is available from various online retailers but make sure you get the up-to-date version.

If these entries show what they appear to show, that the Haliburtons were people of status living in Edinburgh, you will probably be able to trace your family tree back very successfully.

As well as these references there are other records such as sasines (land records) which will give more details, deeds, as well as tax records. On this occasion I would suggest starting with the references above. Also now you have some more details on the family you may be able to go back to the online resources such as the wills on ScotlandsPeople (which you can view for free in the NRS) and use them to trace your family too.

Hope this helps,

Emma

Offline MaggieH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 04:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Emma,
Thank you very much for pointing me in that direction. I had no idea that you could search the NR of Scotland and get fairly detailed results. I had a look at those search results and they seem very useful. One in particular was extremely relevant. I am fairly sure that John the apothecary is the correct person, now to confirm it somehow. It also does give me a possible spouse name. Perhaps one day I will get to Scotland and be able to look at the records in person. For now it is a long way to go from the other side of the world! Thank you for taking the time to help me out.
Best wishes,
Maggie
Hunter, Hurst, Forbes from Northumberland and Durham. Sandham, Malone, Gregory from Lancashire.

Offline ScottishAncestry

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 10:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Maggie,

The items are all on site, very useful. Most things I want to look at are stored off site and I need to order them in a few days before. If I have any time when I'm in I will have a look at the items for you and see what else they tell us.

The NRS catalogue is actually very good. In general things are well described. The Hawick Heritage Hub also have an online catalogue: http://www.calmview.eu/HUBCAT/CalmView/ Their catalogue is not quite as comprehensive although they are working hard on it. You could have a rummage in there.

There is also the Scottish Archive Network: their aim is to "revolutionise access to Scotland's archives by providing a single electronic catalogue to the holdings of more than 50 Scottish archives" http://www.scan.org.uk/

Hope these links help,

Emma

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 11:04 BST (UK) »
Have a look around on FreeREG when you have more info.
There are some Records there in Midlothian, no Baptisms but Marriages/Burials only;
www.freereg.org.uk

MARRIAGES,
Parish Church, Edinburgh, Midlothian;
Patrick HALIBURTON, Merchant, to Marion WILKIE, 10 Jan 1639/40
Patrick HALIBURTON, Merchant, to Margeret PUCKEN, 24 May 1650
Patrick HALIBURTON, Merchant, to Jean WARROCK, 26 Sept 1667

There are a few BURIALS at Greyfriars Burial Ground, Edinburgh,  of Children of a Patrick H (1674/1676/1684, most not named, Father a Merchant, including one 10 March 1695/6 which has this extra info;
Patrick, a Bailie; west laigh

You may need to use the soundex option when looking at all the Records

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline MaggieH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 October 14 05:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you Trish for the freereg suggestion, I will definitely take a look. Also thank you Emma for your kind offer to look at those documents for me some time. I am sure that JohnHaliburton and Isabel Sanderson are my family as GD1/191/6 in the catalogue clearly mentions Andrew Halyburton, eldest lawful son and heir of deceased John Halyburton. I did a search on Isobel and there are a few documents relevant to her also. It is strange however that I can't seem to find a marriage for them, or a baptism for Andrew,or his brother James (both apprenticed in London). The wider network of Haliburtons from Edinburgh through the Borders seem to have been forever acquiring and disposing of property and land either through inheritance or legal means, so I cannot assume Patrick is John's father as yet. It is a possibility. I will take a look at the other links you mentioned and see what turns up. They seem a very interesting family . Thank you once again to you both for your help and suggestions, I am filling in the gaps !
Best wishes,
Maggie