Author Topic: nana's birth mother disappeared in 1901  (Read 51226 times)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: nana's birth mother disappeared in 1901
« Reply #9 on: Friday 26 December 14 22:24 GMT (UK) »
A public tree on ancestry has George Fellman's spouse as Charlotte, and he dies 1924 in Bridgend. 
Presumably use of 'spouse' to mean Mother of his child?

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 26 December 14 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Mary was 3 in 1881 census - so presume born 1878
Nimrod Gardner from Bugbrooke ,Northamptonshire and Mary from Scotland
I presume they married in Marys homeland of Scotland ?

Sorry, but I'm confused re a marriage for Mary Gardner?

Are we looking for Mary & Isaac Irvine ?

I don't understand where "Nimrod" comes in?

Annie

Update............I now see where Nimrod is mentioned :-)
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 26 December 14 23:12 GMT (UK) »
No marriage on SP for Nimrod Gardner & Mary Roberts & nothing remotely similar  :(

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 27 December 14 00:44 GMT (UK) »
 Thanks ; I'm not on ancestry but it's probably a tree my mother did ;I don't think trees are adapted for non married couples ; George jacob Fellman was my nana Maisie's birth father from russia he had to pay an affiliation order until she was aged 14 . her adoptive father was Samual Hallis aged 60 i managed to find out where both these men came from where they died but no idea what became of birth mother Lottie Roberts . last trace is march 1900 at Maisie's baptism .
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 27 December 14 00:50 GMT (UK) »
sorry for late reply ; yes i did try looking for descendents of Charlotte's sister Mary Roberts who married Isaac Irvine in 1906 and had several children but didn't trace to any living descendents .
Nimrod+ Mary Gardner were Charlotte's maternal grandparents who lived nearby .

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 27 December 14 08:12 GMT (UK) »
The link that you gave to GenesReunited does show that all of our (few) suggestions have already been covered.

Just copying over:
'The saddest part of this story is that as an adult Maisie did track her birth mum (without a team of internet helpers)who wrote back for her not to contact her again as she was married and her son was in a "respectable "profession. My aunt found this letter after her death but decided to throw it away so we don,t know the details . But maybe as they all lived so close another family member told her who her birth mother was and where to find her'

and

'My article about the unsuccessful search for our great grandma Lottie Roberts was published in the Dec issue of Family Tree magazine '

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 27 December 14 11:50 GMT (UK) »
new people turn up new ideas . Chempat .
Your suggestion that the birth parents met at work is looking even more likely if i can establish that George Jacob Fellman was the eldest son of Samuel L Fellman the draper at 36 Price st Birkenhead in 1901

I dismissed this because Samuel + Jane  were too young to have a 30 yr old son and their other children ranged from 20 -4

georgejacob's father's name has come up as mendel. leizer .lazurus  before
his  fathers 2nd wife was Sheina ..as dressmaker mrs Jane fellman also turns up as   mrs Senie Fellman in trade directories of 1902  at Price st and the 4 eldest children have ages and names similar to george jacob's siblings named in latvian documents .I'll go back to looking for them

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 29 December 14 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Update ; yes my nana's birth father was the son of S. Fellman , the draper  of Price Street

The Fellman  family came from Latvian /russia in 1891 and apart from GGfather george + 1 sister
they went  to New York in 1905 

see thread  708494.0 "Feldman girls"

The dressmaker daugters May+ Bessie Fellman were similar  age to nana's Birth mother Charlotte
Roberts who is listed as a draper's assistant on nana  Maisie-fellman Roberts ' birth certificate dec 1899.
no-one on Genes Reunited chat found what became of Charlotte Roberts b april1881daughter of John Roberts + Caroline Gardner .
 a friend has looked on Ancestry too and i had a go on Find My Past in the library
I think she must have lied about her age when she married 
maybe someone more local could turn something up

i nearly missed her when looking  in Cheshire registry office for Maisie's baptism march 1900 as she is called  "Lottie Roberts "on that and baby is named "Massie Myriam Roberts"(sic)  losing the "Fellman" middle name once Charlotte got the affiliation payments !

we don't know when she did marry .
 she doesn't turn up in 1901 census; could already have a new name .my mother would love it if we could find something about her ; having started with nothing we have found photos of maisie's natural father ; on alien registration 1816 and hospital admission document 1920

Good luck to anyone on similar search .

Offline elzabels

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 31 December 14 17:55 GMT (UK) »
You seem to have dismissed the marriage to Mr HUGHES on the grounds that John ROBERTS was not a Labourer. One census states he was a Borer for an Engineer...assistant / labourer?

Charlotte HUGHES can be found in 1911 as year of birth 1883 birth place Llandrinio, Montgomeryshire

Patient in Salop Infirmary Shropshire married 8 years 6 children all living

Her birth place seems to be the area from which she was admitted to the hosp, you talk of respectability new family, this person has all that  this person should not be overlooked or dismissed  and needs following through