Author Topic: nana's birth mother disappeared in 1901  (Read 51630 times)

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
Re: nana's birth mother disappeared in 1901
« Reply #72 on: Saturday 22 October 16 18:57 BST (UK) »
Well done finding the divorce Annette. Don't know how I missed it. I gave found some further information on Arthur Carmichael Percy. He appears to have been the tenant of an establishment called the Park Inn in Manchester which was managed by his mother in law Mrs Warhurst. There was an objection to his licence in 1894 as it was claimed that he was not resident as he was an actor often away fulfilling provincial engagements. his mother in law was separated from her husband and had 'cohabited with more than one man during her managership' . Arthur's wife was also reported to be often away because of her engagements as an actress, but was ' a highly respectable woman'.
There are references in the Era and the Stage up to about 1903 for Arthur.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Saturday 22 October 16 19:30 BST (UK) »
Seems Mabel wasn't altogether truthful when she married as she was the daughter of Henry  Warhurst, not Henry Moore ( described as a Clerk in 1881 - see Henry Washurst on Ancestry) and Martha nee Carver. According to the marriage notice in The Era she was Mabel Warhurst granddaughter of the late William Carver in Nottingham. Henry Yelverton Warhurst married Martha Carver in Nottingham in 1874. Mabel seems to have used the stage name Miss Mabel Moore.
Isobel

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Saturday 22 October 16 20:29 BST (UK) »
The Era has a notification of the death of Thomas Percy Carmichael on 16th Feb 1905 in Epsom. Says he was 43. According to register entry he was 53 (transcribed as 58 on freebmd). Era says he was a native of Glasgow, known as a very painstaking actor, deeply regretted by many friends and aquaintances and especially by sorrowing wife. Interred in Epsom.
Isobel

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Saturday 22 October 16 20:54 BST (UK) »
43 fits in with his age on the census

So what was the name of his loving wife ??

And did Myles aged 10 by then go back to mother Mabel

Same year  as.  ArtHUR .THOMAS WHATEVER   got divorced

OUR  CHarlotte had obtained an AFFILIATION  order ....in Jan

Had large initial payment in March 1900 plus promise of weekly payments til her daughter reached age of 13

Then she.d had the baby baptised . Using the birth fathers surname as middle name

the Maisie FELLMAN....ROBERTS  name on birth cert would no doubt have helped her case

Baptism is Maisie Misspelt as Massie MIRIAM ROBERTS

It would be in her interests to keep in contact with George jacob Fellman to receive these payments

Unless she found a way to get him to pay the Hallis family directly to cover costs of boarding her baby

As a foreigner it was in his interest to maintain payments for fear of arrest for non payment and as George jacob
Stayed in Birkenhead til at least the 1901 census he must have paid first year .

He did get arrested in 1906 for selling exotic postcards in Dundee and  in 1915 for being an alien .in Wales
..but exonerated
See the thread on naturalization for more about him ..
.and before you detectives get to work with your newspapers he is NOT
The Austrian  Jacob Fellman who got arrested in Derby ./Manchester !

his family mostly left for USA in early 1900's and as  a travelling salesman with no more relations in Birkenheadt might have been easier for him to stop paying Maisie's board

He seems to have been based in Wales from 1911 to his death in 1924

Nana always loved Wales perhaps she hoped to run into her father.
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Saturday 22 October 16 21:15 BST (UK) »
Thomas Percy Carmichael married again in Birmingham Sep qutr 1901 but don't know which of the three possible women he married. None were called Charlotte or Lottie.
Isobel

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Saturday 22 October 16 21:22 BST (UK) »
Thomas Percy Carmichael married again in Birmingham Sep qutr 1901 but don't know which of the three possible women he married. None were called Charlotte or Lottie.
Isobel

He married Simie Harriette Ben-oliel.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Saturday 22 October 16 21:30 BST (UK) »
Well I think we can rule him out as our Charlotte's   "husband "

Unless she adopted Myles and passed herself off as married ....he certainly has an array of surnames to choose from  !
What if whereas Arthur Percy.s daughter by another woman  and married is a mistranscription

Anothe Flights of fancy. But my wild hunches have been righti n past
..but I.m hooked .
Think I may take a look at Myles death to glean more.  Worth a few credits ???or is it £12 to see orig documents these days ?

.I.ve always had a thing about adoption and was a foster parent myself

I sort of guessed Nana had been adopted but I grew up believing shed been brought up by 'two old ladies '

Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Saturday 22 October 16 22:14 BST (UK) »
My feeling that the Lottie Percy in 1901 was with Arthur but probably not his wife. i suspect she was involved in some way with the show he was appearing in but there is nothing in the press reports that offer any clue. I am still drawn to the Lottie Roberts who was involved in the baby farming Scandel in 1907 and who claimed to be an actress. I know the age is out, but I think she is worth following up.
Isobel

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Saturday 22 October 16 22:48 BST (UK) »
The press reports of the baby farming/obtaining money by false pretences case doesn't give much background for Lottie, except that she met her partner in crime Herbert Smith (aka Leo Selwyn), restaurant manager turned escapologist, in Shrewsbury, where she became a mother. Smith was from London. They spent sometime between Shrewsbury and their arrest in the S Wales valleys and Swansea

actually - if you look at this story it has details I've not seen in others, and says she might be called Lottie Bourne, come from Shrewsbury and use the professional name Jess smith . There's also a photo

http://newspapers.library.wales/view/4176824/4176826/30/

(has to be said the Lottie Bourne name doesn't appear after this date in later stories on the trial and conviction)