Author Topic: Donohues of Newburgh, New York  (Read 4188 times)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Donohues of Newburgh, New York
« on: Tuesday 14 October 14 21:03 BST (UK) »
I think I need other eyes on this brick wall.  Keep in mind that the surname has shown up as Donohue, Donahue, Donohoe, Donoghue, and probably a few others that I'm forgetting.   ;)

I first have Patrick (b. abt. 1830 in Ireland) & Bridget (b. abt. 1832 in Ireland) Donohue in the 1860 census with daughters Mary & Christina.  https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MCQ1-KZP

1870 with sons Patrick, James, and Michael - https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/M8VJ-8KX

Possible match in 1872 Orange County directory - Donehue, Patrick, farm 20 acres, P O Blooming Grove

This seems to be them in 1875, although Patrick aged very rapidly - https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VTDF-FQ9

There are possible matches for Patrick in Newburgh city directories from 1878-1901.

I found daughter Mary working as a servant in the 1880 census, and Patrick seemed to be listed on a non-population schedule for agriculture in Newburgh in 1880, but I didn't see the whole family.

This seems to be Patrick & Bridget with son James in 1900 with Patrick still being older than he originally was - https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MSL7-DZD

In 1910, Bridget appears to be a widow & living with son Patrick - https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MP1L-K1D

I'm hoping to find (1)  death dates for Patrick & Bridget.  Attempts at death index look-ups haven't been successful.  The only possible death for Bridget to be found was 29 Nov. 1914 in Big Indian, Ulster Co., and I'm not convinced enough that it's her to order the death certificate.  She's not with her son in the 1915 NY state census, so I'm inclined to think she died before then.

(2)  Bridget's maiden name.  I have a lot on daughter Mary, who married Adrian Kissam abt. 1882 and died in 1927, and her family going forward.  Unfortunately, Mary's death certificate did not give Bridget's maiden name.  Son Patrick died in 1950 per Find a Grave, but I don't know if the family would remember her maiden name in 1950 if they didn't in 1927.

(3)  What happened to their other children.  I don't have any definite matches for Michael beyond 1870 or James beyond 1900.  A family tree I found has Christina married to a Thomas Murray, but there didn't seem to be much detail to support it.  If her husband was Thomas, I found a possible death notice in Aug. 1903 - http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=saJhAAAAIBAJ&sjid=Sy8NAAAAIBAJ&dq=thomas-murray%20newburgh%20farmer&pg=2187%2C1454759.  The 1936 Newburgh city directory has Christina Murray, widow of Thomas, but 1937 doesn't have her, so maybe she died around then.

Also, if anyone can find them in the 1880 census, that would be great, but I suspect they were missed.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Donohues of Newburgh, New York
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 November 14 20:38 GMT (UK) »
I was taking an additional look at this branch and noticed that the family had Mary Riley, age 24, born Ireland, working as a factory operative with them in the 1860 census.  I was thinking maybe she was a relative of Patrick or Bridget.  Unfortunately, I don't see her after the census.  Anyone see any likely matches?

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 November 14 06:48 GMT (UK) »
This seems to be them in 1875, although Patrick aged very rapidly - https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VTDF-FQ9

You probably already notice this, but:
1870 Newburgh Census
Patrick Donohoe, 40, Labourer, and his family. Neighbours:
   Bernard Clark, age 29, powder mill
   William Dubois, age 47, Labourer

1875 Newburgh Census
Pat Donohoe, age 59, Labourer; and people on the same page:
  Berney(?) Clark, age 37, Powder Mill
  William Dubois(?), age 55, Labourer
-------------
Listing family for future reference (for my reference)  ;)
Patrick, c1830, Ireland, Labourer
Bridget, c1832, Ireland, Keeping House
Mary Ann, c1858, New York
Christina, c1860, New York
Patrick, c1863, New York
James, c1867, New York
Michael, c1869, New York

Pat, c1816, Ireland, Labourer
Bridget, c1825, Ireland
Mary Ann, c1861
Christina, c1862
Patrick, Jr, c1863
James, c1868
Youth born in Orange County
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 November 14 09:08 GMT (UK) »
The family is extremely difficult to locate.   ???

Have you been able to find Thomas and Christina Murray in 1880?  I only did a short search, but I cannot see them in 1880.  Strange.  Supposedly, their marriage occurred in 1879, so one would think they could be found in 1880.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 November 14 21:20 GMT (UK) »
I'm not seeing the Murrays in 1880 either.  Considering that they're right next to the Donohues in 1900, I'm wonder if the census taker missed them all or if a page was missed.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 November 14 04:46 GMT (UK) »
I was taking an additional look at this branch and noticed that the family had Mary Riley, age 24, born Ireland, working as a factory operative with them in the 1860 census.  I was thinking maybe she was a relative of Patrick or Bridget.  Unfortunately, I don't see her after the census.  Anyone see any likely matches?

When I first read your thread, I also noticed Mary Riley.  I've not found anything, yet, but since we can't find any other information about the Donohues, it could be worth the time to research Riley/Reilly in Newburgh.

1900 census states that Bridget Donohue immigrated in 1853 (mother of 6 children, 4 still alive).
1910 census states that Bridget Donahue immigrated in 1854 (mother of 5 children, 5 still alive).

Perhaps it is just coincidence, but in the 1900 Newburgh census:
John Riley, born October 1842, married 31 years. Born Ireland, immigrated 1854. Farmer
Elizabeth Riley, wife, born October 1849, married 31 years, mother of four children, four still living. Born New York, parents born Ireland
Arthur M Riley, son, born April 1886. Born New York

Perhaps the same family?
1880 Newburgh
John Reiley, age 39, Blacksmith.  Born Ireland
Elizabeth, age 30, wife, Keeping house. Born New York, parents born Ireland
Henry J, age 10, son
William, age 8, son
Ida M T(?), age 6, daughter
Ezra Huestis(?), Servant, Blacksmith, born New York, father born New York, mother born Connecticut
Children were born in New York

1870 Newburgh
John Riley, age 27, Blacksmith. Born Ireland
Elizabeth Riley, age 20, Keeping House. Born New York
Henry Riley, born April 1870. Born New York

Perhaps there isn't a connection with Mary Riley, or John Riley, but I thought I would mention it anyway.

Update.  Perhaps this is John in 1860?
1860 Newburgh
Thomas Riley, Labourer, age 60
Cath. Riley, age 50
Ann Riley, age 22, Dress Maker
John Riley, age 21, Moulder (Iron)(?)
Patrick Riley, age 20, Machinist
Charles Riley, age 16, Tinsmith's App
Catharine Riley, age 14
All born Ireland
   Mary Riley could have been from this family; she was age 24 in 1860.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 November 14 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for looking.  There seem to be a lot of Rileys floating around Orange Co., unfortunately. 

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 February 15 19:34 GMT (UK) »
Bumping this up because I found a possibility for Patrick's death:

http://fultonhistory.com/Newspapers%2023/Newburgh%20NY%20Register/Newburgh%20NY%20Register%201904%20d/Newburgh%20NY%20Register%201904%20%20m%20-%200234.pdf 

The death notice says the funeral of Patrick Donahue of Gardnertown was held this morning (29 Feb. 1904) and internment was at St. Patrick's cemetery.  Gardnertown is next to Newburgh, so it seems like a definite maybe.  I wish a bit more information about him had been given, so if anyone can find anything further, that would be great. 

There was another possible death notice on Fulton History for a Patrick Donohue in 1905 in Columbia, New York, but that one seemed less likely.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 02 September 15 19:43 BST (UK) »
I can report, thanks to finding the probate papers referring to the elder Patrick, that he did die 26 Feb. 1904 and his daughter was Christina Murray.  Bridget signed them with an X, so she apparently could not read.  Fingers crossed that his death certificate has parents' names on them.