Author Topic: Donohues of Newburgh, New York  (Read 4213 times)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Donohues of Newburgh, New York
« Reply #9 on: Friday 30 October 15 18:49 GMT (UK) »
The New York probate records have helped me a bit more with this family.  James H. Donahue died 27 Aug. 1909 per the probate records, and a brief mention in the newspaper said he died in his home in Gardnertown.  The probate records mention his mother, sister Mary Kissam, sister Christina Murray, and brother Patrick as next of kin.  No mention of brother Michael.

Christina Murray nee Donahue's probate record was also in there, indicating that she died 19 Dec. 1936.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 00:22 BST (UK) »
Dragging this thread up from the depths to report success with the New York death index that is now online (see here - http://mailchi.mp/reclaimtherecords/bfvk8vew84?e=8bd0102c13 - if you haven't heard about it). 

I found a likely match for Bridget's death (with the surname spelled Donohue) on 23 May 1910 in Newburgh.

I then found her funeral notice on this page - https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=m3hGAAAAIBAJ&sjid=nSgNAAAAIBAJ&pg=1067%2C815096 - and the pallbearers definitely match other family members.  She is listed as Bridget O'Rielly Donohue, so at least that's a little progress.   ;D

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 00:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the heads up on the NY death records.  Shame most of my New Yorkers died in Brooklyn.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 19:43 BST (UK) »
I was taking an additional look at this branch and noticed that the family had Mary Riley, age 24, born Ireland, working as a factory operative with them in the 1860 census.  I was thinking maybe she was a relative of Patrick or Bridget.  Unfortunately, I don't see her after the census.  Anyone see any likely matches?

Maybe the Riley here was a relative of Bridget O'Rielly.  Of course, I had to wind with another surname with loads of different possible spellings.