Author Topic: John Williams "Erwood", Crickadarn, Dissenter, Howel Harris, and Thomas Bowen  (Read 6877 times)

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Rootschat and the Library of Wales..... Superb!
    • View Profile
I am looking for information on Rev. John Williams Dissenting Minister d. 1780 - 1790 Erwood/Crickadarn Breconshire Wales. In particular for a possible son William Williams b. 1768, who married Isabella Pugh about 1791. The Pugh family lived at Skreen Farm Llandeilo Graban.

They attended Tredustan United Chapel, near Talgarth, and the Pugh Family baptized all of their children there.

I found this biography at the Library of Wales, and it seems that John Williams lived in a house called "Erwood" in Crickadarn, but probably refers to the village of Erwood a few miles away....

Does anyone know of a House called Erwood in Crickadarn?

Here is the short biography:

WILLIAMS , JOHN  ( fl. 1739-1779 ), Methodist exhorter and hymn-writer .   In 1739 Howel Harris   mentions ‘dear Jack  of Errwd ’; there was, in fact, a family with that surname living at ‘ Erwood ,’ in the parish of Cerrig Cadarn , Brecknock . He and his brother, William  , were exhorters in 1742-3 and the Methodist society met at their house. William  (d. 1746 ) m. Ann Bowen  of Tyddyn . Sarah  , his sister, m. Thomas James  (d. 1751 ) (q.v.)  , the Builth exhorter . In 1748 Howel Harris   was godfather to John Williams  's son, but in 1750 the Erwood family, acting under the influence of Thomas James   , deserted Harris  and by 1751 had joined Thomas Bowen 's independent party. John Williams  is believed to have been the author of a little collection of hymns published at Brecon in 1779 , Ychydig Hymnau: O waith John Williams o Sir Frecheiniog . The collection comprises four hymns. One man of this name was buried at  Cerrig Cadarn  28 July 1779 , and another 22 Dec. 1783 . A collection of his hymns, Hymnau o Fawl i Dduw a'r Oen , etc., was published by the Trevecka press in 1805

Thanks!
Llanfi   :) :) :)
Pugh, Powell, Williams, Maddox, Prosser

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Williams "Erwood", Crickadarn, Dissenter, Howel Harris, and Thomas Bowen
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 March 19 08:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello LLanfi -
I am interested in your Howel Harris.
I am part of the Lord Burghley - Cecil DNA Project.
The names associated with it are Cecil [various], Gilbert, Webb, Harris, Howells, Word, Hyatt, Parry,  and recently Winston from Brecon. Our DNA pool is in the Wales, Herfordshire, Gloucestershire and Monmouthshire area. The towns/villages/areas are Ganarew, Vowchurch, Shirehampton, Forest of Dean Coleford, Clodock, Walterstone and now Brecon. The name Howel Harris near Brecon fits the bill. Happy to chat on the forum or PM.

Cheers
Jack Gee
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: John Williams "Erwood", Crickadarn, Dissenter, Howel Harris, and Thomas Bowen
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 March 19 17:04 GMT (UK) »
HI,
Howel Harris was a famous non-conformist minister in the Methodist denomination in Wales, He is probably the best documented personage of the time...
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howell_Harris
I can't help you at all on his genealogy, but I would certainly like to hear from you if you come across the John Williams I am searching for...
Llanfi  :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 March 19 10:26 GMT (UK) »
Llanfi,
 thanks for the tip.
Happy to share - but get back to me in about 6 months after i have checked him and his family tree out. Also looking at the Winston family of Llanwrtyd Breconshire.

Cheers
jack Gee
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 March 19 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Many of the Welsh dissenters of the period were baptised at Tredustan Independent Chapel. Also the Library of Wales has an enquiry service if you have specific questions.
Howel Harris had copious correspondence throughout Wales and Great Britain and they are on-line somewhere, but I forget now. I haven't any information on Winston in Breconshire..
Cheers,
Llanfi  :) :) :) :)

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 September 19 13:38 BST (UK) »
Lianffi
sadly i have not progressed any further with Howell Harris.
Yes there is a lot of stuff out there on him.
However i have not been able to advance anything to attach him to my Cecil - Lord Burghley DNA project.
Still perserverence is my middle name and will keep digging?

cheers
Jack

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 September 19 21:25 BST (UK) »
Hi,
You mentioned a DNA Project..
I have done a lot of research on FamilyTreeDNA... Do you have anyone in your project who has an FTDNA kit number? I would like to compare markers.

Llanfi
 :) :) :) :) :)

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 September 19 23:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Lianfi,

I can get you in contact with the William Cecil Lord Burghley Project supervisor and you can compare notes. This is under the FTDNA umbrella.

Cheers
Jack Gee [john Gilbert]