Author Topic: Quigleys of Glenavy  (Read 8536 times)

Offline debsimpson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Quigleys of Glenavy
« on: Thursday 16 October 14 05:41 BST (UK) »
I am planning a family history trip to Ireland next year and would love to make contact with anyone with links to Bannister Quigley born abt 1783 in County Antrim, died 1866 Ballycessy,Glenavy. He married Jane Bell in 1828. They had several children including my grandfather David Bannister( aka Daniel) born 1848 in Ballycessy, who came to Australia in the late 1800's. I am planning to visit St Aidan's Church Glenavy,where many of the children were baptised and Bannister and Jane are buried. Any other ideas of buildings from that time that may still be standing would be greatly appreciated.Also if there is anywhere in the County which may hold old photographs?
Many thanks

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Quigleys of Glenavy
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 October 14 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I cannot help with local knowledge but it is my understanding that Glenavy is full of Quigley burials. My gt grandfather had two brothers who both married Quigley sisters from Glenavy. The oldest brother William Lynn Graham married Issamena Quigley in 1884 and James Graham married Louisa Jane Quigley in 1891. I think at least one of these wives was also buried at Glenavy according to her granddaughter, whereas her husband was I think buried at Templepatrick.

Anyway these sisters were daughters of James Quigley (1827-1903) and Matilda Thompson. James was in turn the son of Henry Quigley (1791-1844) and Ann Sloan. The following Glenavy inscription is from a public tree in Ancestry containing these Quigleys.

Erected by Ann Quigley in memory of her beloverd husband Henry Quigley who dies 5th June 1844 aged 53 years their son Henry died 30th August 1850 aged 10.

Also their Grand-children Henry died 6th october 1858 Aged 1 year

Ann died 10th September 1863 aged 6 years

Ann and Margaret Peel who died in infancy.

Isamenia Peel who died in her 60th year also the above named Ann Quigley who died 26th April 1895  aged 90 years.

Also James Quigley died in his 78th year,

Also Grandson of the erector James McCracken who was accidentally drowned in Belfast Lough 13th July 1912 aged 30 to the inexpressible grief of his devoted mother Louisa McCracken (nee Quigley)

also his brother and sister Mary and Willie who died when young.

Also their dear mother Louisa McCracken died 30th December 1920.

Matilda Quigley died 13th April 1914 aged 89

William McCracken died 14th May 1933 aged 84 years.

Cheers

Linda (NZ)

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 October 14 21:45 GMT (UK) »
I should also say that if this Quigley family links up to yours it would probably be at the level of Henry Quigleys parents: Henry Quigley 1748-1828 and Agnes Matthews, or grandparents Edward Quigley (1720-1802) and Mary Sloane.

Offline debsimpson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 October 14 08:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello Linda,
Many thanks for your reply and the information you provided. Yes, with your information, and that from my own research,I believe that Henry Quigley (1791-1844) is a brother of my great grandfather, Bannister Quigley (1783-1866). I knew that their father's name was Edward but did not have dates or the name of Edward's wife, so thank you. Bannister's son David( also known as Daniel) is my grandfather who emigrated to Australia in the late 1800's.
I am more than happy to take photos of any relevant headstones, if they have survived, that I find on my trip next year and forward them to you if you would like.I would dearly love to find some old photos. I had never met my grandfather Daniel, so am looking forward to visiting his birthplace.
Please feel free to keep in touch. My email is (*)
Kind regards,
Deborah Simpson

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 06:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Debora,

I don't remember how many posts you need to have before you can use the PM system but you probably do not have enough, so I will send you a message.

I do not have all the earlier generations of Quigleys on my tree as I usually do not do more than note the parents of spouses, unless I suspect there is another link in earlier generations. Such as in your case the Sloane marriages a couple of generations apart. I took the info from the tree of Una Bobby, who I have corresponded with occasionally. Una has my Grahams in her tree but only named the direct Quigley ancestors from her family so your Bannister was not included. There were other trees that I didn't look at.

Re my family, if you happen across these 3 people then I would love to have a photo of their tombstones

Issamenia Graham nee Quigleyt lived to be 99 years old so presumably died in 1963. Her granddaughter Lilly Graham (dau of James) was with her when she died. Lilly wrote that Issamenia is buried at Glenavy, where the Quigley family lived, as were her sons William & Lester Graham. (Lester is aka Alexander).

Cheers

Linda (NZ)

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 07:04 GMT (UK) »
Linda,
        Three posts are required before one can use the PM system.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 08:46 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Kingskerswall,

It is fewer than I thought.

Regards

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 14:25 GMT (UK) »
This topic seems to have been started on ANTRIM RESOURCES board which is not for posting queries so it may have been overlooked by others interested in the family. Just click on 'report to moderator' to get it moved to ANTRIM board.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline UnaBobby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 29 October 14 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Another Quigley descendant here :) We are cousins.

Just to reiterate -

Edward Quigley who married Mary Sloane died 9 March 1802 (born c1720)
Henry Quigley who married Agnes Matthews died 1 October 1828 (born 1748)
Henry Quigley who married Ann Sloane died 5 June 1844 (born 1791)
Ann Quigley (nee Sloane) died 26 April 1895 (born 1805)

I would love love to see photos of any graves you find.

I descend from Henry Quigley who married Ann Sloane.

Una