Author Topic: Reputed Llanfechain-Llanwyddyn family connection to Mary Jones the Bible  (Read 4231 times)

Online JGDavies

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Reputed Llanfechain-Llanwyddyn family connection to Mary Jones the Bible
« on: Thursday 16 October 14 14:37 BST (UK) »
Hi,
A 1970 family tree notes that Sarah/Sara Morris (husband of Edward Jones Talwrn Bach Llanfechain Montgomeryshire), living in Llanfechain but from Llanwyddyn (a village drowned when its valley was dammed to supply Liverpool with water) has a 'Family connection with Mary Jones the Bible'. Mary Jones famously walked from  Llanfihangel-y-Pennant to Bala, 26 miles, to buy a bible in 1800.

Mary Jones' family must have been well mapped, would anyone know of a connection to Sarah Jones nee Morris taken to be the Sara Morris recorded as baptised in Llanwyddyn around 1797, this was: Sara [sic] born to parents Morgan and Catherine Morris (possibly nee Hugh) on the 11th April 1796 (Llanwyddyn Parish Registers 1736-1812, 2007).
Jon
Hughes - Llangedwyn, Llanfechain, Llanrhaiadr, Llansilin
Roberts - Llandisilio, Montgomeryshire
Davis - Caterham, Surrey
Mitchell - Windygates, Fife
Hayes - Radcliffe
Edwards - Llanyblodwell

Offline Chasing-fireflies

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Genealogy is like Chasing fireflies....
    • View Profile
Re: Reputed Llanfechain-Llanwyddyn family connection to Mary Jones the Bible
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have checked the original image of Sara (h) Morris, Daughter of Morgan and Catherine and it says:

" From Easter 1796 to Easter 1797

Sara the Daughter of Morgan Morris and Catherine his Wife was born on the 11th and baptised on the 13th April"

Here is the location:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KC1V-3JB

Here is the marriage for Morgan Morris and Catherine Hugh:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KC1V-Z47

I can see Sara with Edward and children being baptised. This is a possible Christening for Edward and maybe his mothers line can be traced to find the Mary Connection:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FMS7-ZNY

Sorry I can't be of more help but if I find anything I will let you know.

Previously - Badgirl
Thomas-Llangynwyd
Morgan-Garw / Sirhowy
Richards - Bettws
Philips - Rhondda
Pinn - London

Online JGDavies

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Reputed Llanfechain-Llanwyddyn family connection to Mary Jones the Bible
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 November 14 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Based on Montgomeryshire Genealogical Society's Llanwyddyn  Parish Registers 1736-1812 (MR/PR/51) I agree with your references for the marriage of Morgan Morris and Catherine Hugh and the baptism of Sara(h).

From the same source: A Catherine Hugh, daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth Hugh, was baptised in Llanwyddyn on 25th April 1765. Though 19 months after this Catherine Hugh and Morgan could have married, the marriage of another Catherine Hugh, also 'of this parish' is recorded.

This is a possible Christening for Edward and maybe his mothers line can be traced to find the Mary Connection:
You're right the line may be through Edward, I'd assumed the connection was via Sara(h). I'd given up on finding much more on Edward if he's the link as in the 1851 Census of Llanfechain Sara(h)'s husband Edward gives the parish of his birth as Llansilin and in the 6th June 1841 census his age is given as 50 which, considering the rounding down to an age of  *0 or *5 required, puts his year of birth in the range 7th June 1786 - 6th June 1791. From the Llansilin Parish Registers possible contenders are:
28th December 1787 Edward Jones, son to Robert and Margt. of Sychart [sic]
7th March 1790, Edward Jones, son to Richard and Catharine [sic] of Cynynion
20th January 1794 Edward Jones, son to Edward and Mary of Sychart

The 1841 and 1851 ages give ranges for Edward's date of birth that overlap by 3 months or so meaning, assuming no error in the figures, Edward was born between 31st March 1791 and 6th June 1791. However none of the three suggested possibilities were born in that period.
Hughes - Llangedwyn, Llanfechain, Llanrhaiadr, Llansilin
Roberts - Llandisilio, Montgomeryshire
Davis - Caterham, Surrey
Mitchell - Windygates, Fife
Hayes - Radcliffe
Edwards - Llanyblodwell