Author Topic: (*Completed with thanks*)Help...Little Hall, Pentrefelin, David Walter Powell.  (Read 20470 times)

Offline cockney rebel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Hi All,
A while back I started a post about the location of Little Hall and hoped that someone with a bit of local knowledge could assist.
 (here the link:http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=355629.0)

The responses went a little off-course which is why I have started a new topic.

My ancestor David Walter Powell (b 1777 Devynock) lived in  Little Hall about 1800-1812,,maybe longer, which I think is in or near Pentrefelin....which is either in Brecknock or Camarthenshire, I'm not really sure....

At long last, I have found a further, fairly detailed description of where and what Little Hall was, but still have no idea where to look for it on a map .I can't find the River Brane or a mill or or or...

Below the highlights of the description.

The actual announcement with further detail can be read here (Welsh newspapers Online) http://papuraunewyddcymru.llgc.org.uk/en/page/view/3322772/ART9/david%20walter%20powell

From the Cambrian
4th July 1812
                                                     TO BE IMMEDIATELY LET:
CA RMARTHENSIIIRE. A most desirable DWELLlNGHOUSE, with suitable Out 0ffices, in substantial repair 300 Acres of, excellent . Meadow, Arable, and Pasture LAND, and a Water Corn Grist MILL, with a Bolting Machine,
Little Hall with a Water Corn grist Mill called Little Hall Mill (at a convenient distance from Little-Hall) situate near the excellent market and post-town of Llandovery...on the Great Road from Milford Haven to London.
The Mill is in good repair and well-supplied with work
Comprises 300 statute acres, 3 cottages and a smith's forge
The River Brane runs through part of the Farm and a fine Stream of water through the other parts

So ! Does anybody recognise....well, anything ?!
Grateful for any info and help
Rebel
PS: I shall post this on the Camarthen site as well.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Local & Geographical Help please...Little Hall, Pentrefelin, David Walter Powell
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 October 14 16:30 BST (UK) »
Llangadog, Carmarthenshire has a small river on the north side, running east to west.
Llandovery has a river on the east and south sides, running North to SW, called Afon Bran!

On Google it's called Afon Bran = River Bran(e)!

See: http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/CMN/Llandingad/index.html
 where it says:
This parish, which takes its name from the dedication of its church, is pleasantly situated near the confluence of the rivers Brān and Gwytherig, which, uniting their streams a little above the town of Llandovery, fall into the river Towy.

Zoopla has a barn conversion for sale at:
Little Hall, Cynghordy, Llandovery SA20 0YW
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Local & Geographical Help please...Little Hall, Pentrefelin, David Walter Powell
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 October 14 16:41 BST (UK) »
  It ought to be on this map somewhere

http://maps.nls.uk/view/102179072

llangadock is on the left of the map, the river flowing thro it across the map is the bran, but I cannot see little hill, maybe the name on the map is in welch and has been turned into English for the sale.

there are two mills shown alongside the river.

llangadock is abt 5 miles sw of llandovery  on the magnificent present day A40, I was there on sunday

mike

edit Its llangadock, 

Offline cockney rebel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 October 14 17:06 BST (UK) »
Oh my goodness ! Thankyou ! So, it is Camarthen then ?

A little knowledge of the welsh language might have been useful...except I haven't got any.
I checked loads of map sites, but checking the NatLib in Scotland certainly didn't occur to me.
Great map by the way...enlarges well.

Zoopla even connects to the streetview image....does that house look (comparing it to the area) a good 200 years old ? Or is it the barn`?! Certainly looks like it's in the middle of nowhere..
http://www.zoopla.co.uk/property/little-hall/cynghordy/llandovery/sa20-0yw/20749560

Obviously I'd like to discover more about what happened to the property....I'll try and find it first on the 1841.
Many thanks
rebel

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 October 14 17:07 BST (UK) »
But having read your other post we are nowhere near pentrefelin,   :-\

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 October 14 17:39 BST (UK) »
I've read thro your other thread and my feeling is that neither the map I gave you nor the property on zoopla are near enough to defynnog/pentrefelin to be yours.

mike.
now if I can just find defynnog on the old map,,,,,,

Offline cockney rebel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 October 14 17:50 BST (UK) »
Hi again
I'll have to check all my references to be properly correct but from memory :

Powell's daughters are born at Pentrefelin (which I assume to be north of Defynnog) and at about the same time (1800-1810 ish) his abode is given as "Little Hall". The Little  Hall as mentioned in the For Sale advert is defintely the right one . There is only one David Walter Powell in the gentry of this area for this period. I've been chasing him for years!
Possibly he had 2 residences which would confuse the location search!

Those maps at the NLS are grand....I'll be looking at them all evening if I don't warch out!
I still think we're making progress...perhaps if there was a map or diagramme of this Rive Bran(e) somewhere,it would be helpful

Cheers
rebel

Offline cockney rebel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 October 14 18:14 BST (UK) »
Aaargghh!
I was told in my original post in 2009 that Little Hall was Neuadd fach in Welsh and have just found an Allt Neuadd Fach very near the site of the Zoopla property .What does Allt mean ?
And a Little Hall and a Mill. Not sure if it's the right river though..

Bing Ordnance Survey
http://binged.it/1rfPpez
Hope the link works.....

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 October 14 18:31 BST (UK) »
Hi
Allt means cliff, hill, hillside or wood
See here https://glosbe.com/cy/en/allt
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton