Author Topic: (*Completed with thanks*)Help...Little Hall, Pentrefelin, David Walter Powell.  (Read 20456 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Local & Geographical Help please...Little Hall, Pentrefelin, David Walter Powell
« Reply #18 on: Friday 17 October 14 08:55 BST (UK) »
My Welsh is very rusty nowadays. You are correct about Aber. I think Crychan means curl or crease or similar  feature - it maybe relates to the topography of the area.

The location on the map does seems to fit the advert.

Gadget 
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Local & Geographical Help please...Little Hall, Pentrefelin, David Walter Powell
« Reply #19 on: Friday 17 October 14 09:02 BST (UK) »
The advert does say it is ' All the leasehold .... for the unexpired term of 17 years' , which suggests that Powell leased it.

It might be worth looking into the  Online Archives section of the National Library - there might be info about it there.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 17 October 14 09:04 BST (UK) »
PS  to the translation - Crychan is the name of the river which is adjacent to the mill. This would be a tributary of the Bran (with a ty bach over the a    - i.e.  Brān ). Aber can also mean 'stream' *:

'a fine stream of water runs through the other parts'

* added - or confluence, which would fit as this is where the Crychan joins the  Brān

Offline cockney rebel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 17 October 14 09:34 BST (UK) »
Well that's all starting to make sense but

"to be immediately let or sold by private contract at the option of the lessee or purchaser"

Does that mean that Powell was trying to sell his lease of the property, ie that someone pays him money to use the land for 17 years and then it all reverts back to the land-owner?

I wonder when it changed hands...if at all.
Back to the archives....!
Rebel

Offline cockney rebel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 17 October 14 09:40 BST (UK) »
Sorry had to post this! Totally irrelevant I know...

"Mr. Shutt late of Little Hall, near Llandovery, to Miss Marv Protheroe' The galllant bridegroom is in his 75th year, and the blooming- and happy bride in her 22d Year. "

True love,eh ?
rebel

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 17 October 14 09:44 BST (UK) »
Well that's all starting to make sense but

"to be immediately let or sold by private contract at the option of the lessee or purchaser"

Does that mean that Powell was trying to sell his lease of the property, ie that someone pays him money to use the land for 17 years and then it all reverts back to the land-owner?

I read it as he was trying to sell the remaining 17 yrs of his lease. It refers to him 'going to retire on his own estate...'

When did the nuptials of Mr Shutt and Miss Protheroe take place  ;D

Offline cockney rebel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 17 October 14 09:51 BST (UK) »
11th december 1836 (2 years after Powell#s death)

I'm very tempted to find out if the gallant Mr Shutt lasted until Christmas! :)

Rebel

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 17 October 14 09:55 BST (UK) »
Did he leave a will  ;D

I've been having a look in A2A and the National Library - most of the info concerns building the railway  :-\

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 17 October 14 10:01 BST (UK) »
I've found them on the 1841, I think

Panrhedin, Llanfair(?)ybryn, Llandovery
John Shutt, 77, Independent,  b. not county
Mary, 25, b. Carmarthenshire

Next door  was Richard Shutt, 45, farmer

Added - Ref is HO107/1386/10/8/10