Author Topic: (*Completed with thanks*)Help...Little Hall, Pentrefelin, David Walter Powell.  (Read 20457 times)

Online mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Local & Geographical Help please...Little Hall, Pentrefelin, David Walter Powell
« Reply #27 on: Friday 17 October 14 10:17 BST (UK) »
            "Going to retire on his own estate"
Its beginning to make sense now, presuming his own estate was near defynog,  I drove from llandovery to bulith on sunday, past Little hall, there is quite a big mountain between there and sennybridge  ;D ;D ;D

Mynd Epppynt,  the wettest part of wales I believe

mike

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Local & Geographical Help please...Little Hall, Pentrefelin, David Walter Powell
« Reply #28 on: Friday 17 October 14 10:22 BST (UK) »
We drove over one of the roads in the Mynydd Eppynt 2 weeks ago - the scenic route to Cardiff  ;D
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 17 October 14 10:24 BST (UK) »
This NLW item may be relevant:-

[His brother-in-law] W[alte]r Powell, Brecon, 1812, March 20. 

Summary
Writer will have nothing to do as to the farm of Little-hall, and he does not expect that his nephew, David Powell, ever will act the steady part of a man; writer's family will probably send him to Gittins to get Powell of Maespoth's money; the Colonel must be a hard landlord indeed if he will not be one month without his half year's rent; the Abersenny tenant would probably give his landlord money for taking up the lease; 'he' [Davy] got a very good tenant at Bailie to give up the farm; writer does not know how to get the deeds ready to complete the purchase of John Thomas's son-in-law on the 25th; writer has forwarded recipient's parcel in Gwynne, esq., v. Bacon, esq. & o[the]rs; recipient ought to come over in consequence of Mr Gwynne's letter; he is requested to serve the def[endan]t in George North & David Rees v. Thomas Thomas, butter merchant, of Llansawell, with a notice to 'your' sess[ion]s. 

Regards
Roger

Offline cockney rebel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 17 October 14 10:37 BST (UK) »
@Gadget and Mazi
Well if you ever get out of the car when it's NOT raining, do snap a few pics while youre at it !
Google Streetview seems to only show the Zoopla house...the mill and outhouses out of reach.
Perhaps i should change my holiday destinations!

@despair
Yes, that entry is what led me to the Little Hall in the first place
the nephew David Powell is indeed David Walter Powell and the sentence "does not expect that his nephew, David Powell, ever will act the steady part of a man" has always troubled me.
Do I assume "the Colonel" is the owner of Little Hall ?
The advert was from July 1812...when the second half yearly rent was due perhaps and DWP couldn't pay or what? The attorney letter from March...perhaps he couldn't pay the first rate either.

rebel

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 17 October 14 10:59 BST (UK) »
Nearest I can give you at the moment - this was taken a bit to the NE of New Hall and looking north.

Gadget   ;D
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline cockney rebel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 17 October 14 11:26 BST (UK) »
Thankyou, grand country indeed and higher than I realised (the maps are always so flat....!)
I bet it's great walking country...if you can get up the hills!
one day..
Rebel

Offline cockney rebel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 23 October 14 09:22 BST (UK) »
Hi
I shall mark  this as "Completed" ...I think we have found the correct place.
Thank you all for your help....this had been a mystery for a long tIme!
If any one ever gets a chance on their travels to take a few pictures, I would love to see them!

Thanks again
Rebel

Offline cockney rebel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 23 October 14 09:27 BST (UK) »
ooops
Looks like a normal Rootschat user can't do that anymore....what else did I miss?

and there's me trying to do something useful!
Rebel

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 23 October 14 09:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Rebel

You can't make changes to a posting after 24 hours. Afterwards you have to ask a Mod to make the changes. So. if you click on the Report to Mod icon in the bottom right of your post and ask for it to be marked Completed, they will do it for you.

Gadget