Author Topic: (*Completed with thanks*)Help...Little Hall, Pentrefelin, David Walter Powell.  (Read 20458 times)

Online mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Local & Geographical Help please...Little Hall, Pentrefelin, David Walter Powell
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 16 October 14 18:46 BST (UK) »
Pentre-y-felin is a little to the north of sennybridge,  this link is the next sheet east from pentre-y-felin, bottom right is a largish property  LLwyn Neuadd, do the welsh speakers think its a possibility'

http://maps.nls.uk/view/101605235.

mike

added.  I am curious as to why, in this welsh area, his residence is given an English name, more so as he was seemingly "chapel".

Offline cockney rebel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Local & Geographical Help please...Little Hall, Pentrefelin, David Walter Powell
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 16 October 14 18:50 BST (UK) »
Ah thankyou.
Very useful site for us lot with just a pipette of welsh blood running through our veins! Bookmarked!

Google calculates 14 miles from this Little Hall to Pentrefelin....25 mins by car and 4 to 5 hours walking.

And by horse and carriage?! Google isn't perfect  you know....

Offline cockney rebel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 16 October 14 19:23 BST (UK) »
Hi mike
Can't find the prefix/word in the welsh-english dictionary link....but felin seems to mean Mill.
What a pity that the NLS doesn't seem to have a complete set...

I feel the noose is tightening!
Rebel

Offline cockney rebel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 16 October 14 20:43 BST (UK) »
 mike added.  I am curious as to why, in this welsh area, his residence is given an English name, more so as he was seemingly "chapel".
Yes an interesting questiion..

The ensuing family members don't seem to have been Welsh speakers. His Uncle was Walter Powell, attorney in Brecon, all their correspondence from that period seems to be in English.
 His father married in London...perhaps speaking english was a matter of social grace, I don't know.

The family's pedigree is listed in Theo Jones History of Brecon..they seem to be of good old stock and definitely welsh! David Walter Powell may have been the family's black sheep on the religious front.
And although there are dozens and dozens of references to his family in the welsh newspapers, their births marriges funerals and all sorts, I cannot find a single reference to the events of his decease or his buriial.
I've often suspected it may have been suicide..perhaps because of debt...still trying to puzzle that one out.
rebel

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 16 October 14 21:32 BST (UK) »
Aaargghh!
I was told in my original post in 2009 that Little Hall was Neuadd fach in Welsh and have just found an Allt Neuadd Fach very near the site of the Zoopla property .What does Allt mean ?
And a Little Hall and a Mill. Not sure if it's the right river though..

Bing Ordnance Survey
http://binged.it/1rfPpez
Hope the link works.....

The River to the west of Little Hall (Neuadd Fach) is the Bran. It's quite well marked on the old NLS OS maps. Also, on the 1887, 6 ins to the ml OS map, there is a building marked Hall very close to where 'Little Hall' is on your map link.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline cockney rebel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 16 October 14 22:22 BST (UK) »
hello Gadget, forgive my confusion..
Do you mean 1887 map of Camarthen or 1887 map of Brecknock ?

I can't find the "Hall" you meant ....which means I must be looking in the wrong place.
Could you give me the map name and number when you have time please ?

Thanks
Rebel

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 16 October 14 22:27 BST (UK) »
Hold on a mo, I'll get the links up. It's at the bottom of one map, so I'll have to get both up again.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 16 October 14 22:30 BST (UK) »
This is the link to the one with Hall marked:

http://maps.nls.uk/view/102178841#zoom=6&lat=1299&lon=6890&layers=BT

and this is the map immediately to the south:

http://maps.nls.uk/view/102178862#zoom=5&lat=5664&lon=7060&layers=BT

Gadget

Offline cockney rebel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 17 October 14 08:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gadget for doing that.....bedtime caught up with me yesterday so I couldn't respond!

From the maps ,it looks like there's the mill  on the River Bran and called Aber-Crychan...
"Aber" seems to mean  estuary or confluence - and Crychan?

There also seem to be footpaths running through the premises near the Hall....would this mean it was common ground ?

And the Legal-ese in the original advert : does it imply that Powell was the owner or the leaseholder ?
And it all seems to match the location of Zoopla property..even though it may be a newer building.

I'll try printing the bizs of the 2 maps off and join them together for a bit more clarity!
Rebel