Author Topic: Yard 3, Highgate Kendal & gawith place  (Read 4713 times)

Offline Puffin81

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Yard 3, Highgate Kendal & gawith place
« on: Thursday 16 October 14 19:32 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know where yard 3 in Highgate Kendal was and who owned the big house at the top of the yard in like the 30s? I can't find it, but if my kendal knowledge serves me well it must be in the centre poss around the bandstand / unknown soldier area

Also about that time what sort of place was gawith place? I've come across it a couple of times in my research

Offline Jean Kellett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Yard 3, Highgate Kendal & gawith place
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 August 16 11:55 BST (UK) »
There is a book in the kendal library that a street by street story of people who lived there.  I don't know whether they still have it but i know you could once take it out of the library because my daughter did research from it, but so many people never took it back they only let you read it in situ. I think.....

Offline mrsruz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 August 16 14:01 BST (UK) »
I lived in Kendal for over 20 years, but left a long time ago & I know it has changed considerably.
The house could well have belonged to the Gawith family who were snuffmakers.
Branches of the family were still in Kendal in the 70's. My eldest daughter was baptised by Rev Gawith in 1973.

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 August 16 14:49 BST (UK) »
I'm curious to know how far back this book goes, as I had ancestors living in Highgate Kendal but this was way back in the 1850s.

Offline Jean Kellett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 August 16 12:51 BST (UK) »
Adverts on this website its very confusing, if you hang on a few days my friend lives in one of the yards he is going to have a look for me.  I can't figure out where yard 3 is and unfortunately my computer is so hot I have just about had it for the day.

You know they knocked down the yards many years ago, my daughter did a dissitation on it, if he was alive now, the man who sanctioned it would be torn apart. He said that they were dirty - which they were but they could have modernised them, look at Kendal now. These houses down the yards go for 200,000 pounds.  Have you seen yard 3?   Highgate goes down a fair way into kirkland and a fair bit towards the town hall.   anyway if John finds the yard, we can go from there. 

Offline Jean Kellett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 September 16 12:08 BST (UK) »
First of all Gawith Place, Google Street View might be a good idea to follow up.

Highgate goes up to the top of the town hall and down into kirkland, a big area and I don't think there is a big house anyway at the end of a yard.  some yards were pulled down and big houses probably were divided into flats.

With regard to the bandstand. there is no bandstand anywhere you mention, there is one but not in the town centre

Offline Brie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 September 16 12:49 BST (UK) »
Hello,

In Wainwright's 19thC Kendal there is a section of an 1858 map that shows Gawith Place. It backs on to the river on one side and is behind yards 55 and 59 on the east side of Highgate just down from Lowther Street.

I can't find anything about Yard 3, Highgate but according to the same source the White Hart Inn was in Yard 2 and was also known as White Hart Yard, so presumably is roughly opposite that. The odd numbers appear to be on the east side.

There is a bit about a Yard 3, Wildman Street, which has an adjoining house called Sleddale Hall.

Brie

Offline Brie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 01 September 16 13:48 BST (UK) »
I forgot to add, I have a 1930s directory that covers Kendal. Is there a particular name you are looking for? It lists by name rather than by street etc.

Brie

Offline Jean Kellett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 01 September 16 19:39 BST (UK) »
That's nice of you to reply I only know the collinsons ...does Penrith come into it!!!

Well I think it would be to find jarard, joseph and Arthur as the name would be easy to find is the the book. It might not be whinfell \ winfell though or Penrith ...perhaps they moved away.

I would be really interested to find out how many collinsons there were.

On another note , please don't laugh but my other sister in-law on my ex husbands side and I decided to do that family tree.

She would send info and I would look it up. His name was Joseph vennas Miranda. She had found a picture with his name on it. It all turned out to be a fantastic adventure, she thought as he was a catholic and Spanish ...we thought ...we came to the conclusion it was India so off to India we went. Its a long long story but my ex came in and paid someone to do the next step. Spanish it was but Brazil.  The story was like a fairy story but met so many nice Indians in Goa, don't ask how we knew it was Goa, can't remember now..it was before computers so you can imagine but it was good fun best of it is my daughter is not interested..  Oh well there you are