Author Topic: Gilby Family  (Read 864 times)

Offline shearg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Gilby Family
« on: Thursday 16 October 14 22:54 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I'm trying to help a friend trace her family so I'm hoping you can help us.

Her Grandfather FREDERICK BERTRUM GILBY was born in 1888 in Lemsford Mills in Herefordshire. 

On the 1891 & 1901 census he is found with his parents in Great Yarmouth.
Next we found him on the 1916 census in Saskatchewan Canada with a wife & 2 sons. On this census he states he arrived in Canada(we believe) in 1907.

Now the problem is we couldn't find him on the 1911 census and couldn't find him on any ship passenger lists. Could anyone with better searching skills find him on the census or ship list. His parents are still in England on the 1911 census so we believe he travelled alone.

Thanks,
shearg
Lincolnshire: Shearwood, Dudding, Westoby, Brocklesby, Mann, Sanderson, Smith, Marris,Borrill, Bristow, Brown, Clark, Dunwell, Leverton, Sergeant, Naylor, Schofield,

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Gilby Family
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 October 14 23:23 BST (UK) »
There is an outward passenger list for a Frederick G Gilby aged 19 travelling to Quebec.  Departed England 2.5.1907

There is no birth reg for a Frederick G Gilby in England although the passenger entry is definitely a G
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline shearg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 October 14 00:11 BST (UK) »
Carol, Thanks for finding this. Can you give me the name of the ship, where I could find this passenger list or a copy, please. I did find a Fred B. Gilby coming to Halifax in 1909 at the age of 21 so either one could be him or maybe it's the same guy.

Shearg
Lincolnshire: Shearwood, Dudding, Westoby, Brocklesby, Mann, Sanderson, Smith, Marris,Borrill, Bristow, Brown, Clark, Dunwell, Leverton, Sergeant, Naylor, Schofield,

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 October 14 00:21 BST (UK) »
The ship was The Tunisian and there is nothing else on the passenger list to identify him.  Only his name and age is shown
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)