Author Topic: Need help with a brickwall I am looking for Robert Dobson  (Read 4195 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with a brickwall I am looking for Robert Dobson
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 22:07 BST (UK) »
I descend from John, born in Welford in 1822. He moved to Wigston in Leicestershire and married Caroline Pochin in 1857. That goes down to my Wigston family up to my Grandad and then down to me.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 22:22 BST (UK) »
So what number of 'greats' is John to you ?
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 22:37 BST (UK) »
Three greats to me. He died in Wigston in 1901.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 23:04 BST (UK) »
So we are 4th cousins once removed

The research into potential siblings of Robert looks promising, especially with the family naming pattern of their children compared to Robert and Ann's
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 23:40 BST (UK) »
Wow! And that's good that the naming patterns match up. It looks like the mystery of Robert Dobson is solved! But where was he born: Great Stretton or Stretton en le Fields?

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 11:33 BST (UK) »
I don't have access to FPM and so working on the transcription, not PR, but need to see what the PR says ... born before civil registration so no idea, baptised in Stretton en le Fields.... not sure I would call the naming pattern proof, however it certainly is a positive clue in the absence of real records, but I  need to research Roberts potential two other siblings.

I was surprised to see one of Robert's potential nieces  with a servant from Welford, Northamptonshire and I was hoping she wrote a Will but I can't find one, although another did leaving £1365 16s 3d but just to one niece in Gumley

I am now looking at Roberts grandchildren and his potential siblings grandchildren to see if the naming continues, of course that also adds their partners family naming patterns.
What were John /Caroline childrens given names?

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 11:43 BST (UK) »
John and Caroline Dobson's children's names were:

Adeline, Charlotte, Clara, Ellen, Emma, George (after Caroline's father) and Horace.

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 11:45 BST (UK) »
Considering only George is a family name from either side, it's safe to say they broke with tradition in terms of naming. They didn't use Robert (John's father), Ann (John's mother) or Frances (Caroline's mother).

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 12:01 BST (UK) »
I was just about to say Caroline's choices more likely