Author Topic: Need help with a brickwall I am looking for Robert Dobson  (Read 4188 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with a brickwall I am looking for Robert Dobson
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 12:10 BST (UK) »
Yes; I find that by about the mid-19th century parents start giving their children non-traditional names i.e. not the usual Johns and Williams or Anns and Marys.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with a brickwall I am looking for Robert Dobson
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 12:19 BST (UK) »
Yes that is true, they had more access to other outside influences and fashions were changing...and more recently people are going back to traditional names which may or may not have been used in their ancestry.
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend